Rape and drugs and grief

Old 09-12-2013, 08:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Rape and drugs and grief

My daughter was raped a week ago tonight. (she is 24) A week ago tonight she was drugged with some sort of date rape drug and kept for 4 hours by a stranger. For three of those hours I thought the worst nightmare a parent can have. And then she was found alive and I have my beautiful daughter in my arms tonight. Safe; at least physically. This week has been a whirlwind of rape kits, toxicology reports, detectives, caring for my daughter; trying to fit work in somehow but failing.

Tonight I think my strength is being to wane. I am starting to think about things and how people around my daughter are dealing with this. First, when my daughter was missing I got an INTENSE craving to call my EX-AB. Some primitive feeling wanted the fantasy of the man he never really was to suddenly appear. I have been No Contact for over 6 weeks and still the first person I thought of was him. uggg. Of course he would have been useless and I would have ended up taking care of him. I didn't call him (NO WAY), but called my friend who I know to be the most reliable and steady. Second, my daughter's best friend is a young woman who was in the front lines trying to find my daughter, calling the police, dealing with the search, is smoking weed every night and all day. Third, my ex-husband, my daughter's father is pretty ok, except day by day he is checking out more and more. I know he is a daily user of Vicodin and alcohol...he has been doing this for a long time, maybe in the last 8 years or so. I don't really know. Today my daughter had a huge anxiety attack and migraine, which brought on seizures which she gets on occasion if she is under considerable stress. We went to the E.R. and they gave her an IV of migraine medicine and an anti anxiety med. They sent her home with a script for a few Vicodin to get her through this difficult period. The pharmacy messed up the order and long story short, my daughter contacted her dad. My daughter said, "Dad has Vicodin, I can borrow one from him. I heard her on the phone, actually negotiating with her dad. She said, "Don't worry Daddy, I will get it back to you tomorrow". She rolled her eyes at me and said, "Yeah, he has a problem" I have not been with this man for 20 years and I knew from my daughter in the last couple years he has issues, but not where he would actually negotiate with his daughter who has a true medical need/emergency. I bring my daughter home from the hospital and her dad comes over and gives her a Vicodin which my daughter puts into a bottle and puts away. She leaves the room and her dad said, OMG I am soooo stressed, reaches into his pocket, pulls out two Vicodin and pops them in his mouth, no water and says, "ahhhhh." I am just disgusted on so many levels. I have learned enough from Al-Anon, that there is nothing I can say; I just walked out of the room.

I am feeling dark about humanity tonight. Drug and alcohol abuse seems to be everywhere.

By the way, my daughter's rapist? Apparently he fell off the wagon; he is an alcoholic. All I can do is weep right now.

Love

Carrie
Old 09-12-2013, 08:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
box of chocolates

Im sorry about your daughter. Its a disgusting world out there and the more life we live the more real it is that people are screwed up individuals.
Alcoholism is no excuse ....what he did was beyond criminal.
I too have begun noticing how much people drink and do drugs even without being "addicts"...how much they abuse or overuse a substance.
I hope your daughter heals as fast as she can. Though it wont ever seem fast enough.
Blessings to you
Old 09-12-2013, 09:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
box of chocolates

And I too suffer from anxiety. This situation must be oober stressful for her.
Shes a real trooper for sure!
Old 09-12-2013, 09:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Carrie, I am so sorry. If your daughter needs an additional support, now or whenever she might be ready, the website Pandora's Project (Rape & Sexual Abuse Survivor Message Board, Online Support & Chat Room) is a great resource. It's also good for loved ones looking to offer support and get support of their own.

Wishing you and your daughter strength and peace.
Michelle
Old 09-12-2013, 09:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by theuncertainty View Post
Carrie, I am so sorry. If your daughter needs an additional support, now or whenever she might be ready, the website Pandora's Project (Rape & Sexual Abuse Survivor Message Board, Online Support & Chat Room) is a great resource. It's also good for loved ones looking to offer support and get support of their own.

Wishing you and your daughter strength and peace.
Michelle
Thank you so very much. I know I need some extra support.
Old 09-12-2013, 10:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Sending (((((hugs))))).
Old 09-12-2013, 10:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Im sorry to hear what happened; my prayers are with your family tonight, and that light, hope, peace will return to all of you soon.

Sometimes the darkness in the world does seem to overwhelm; so many lives will be forever changed by this event fueled by drugs and alcohol.
Old 09-13-2013, 12:07 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Sending prayers of comfort and healing for your daughter and for you.
Old 09-13-2013, 04:27 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry this has happened to your daughter, and you as well. The world can be a very ugly place sometimes.

I wish you both all the strength you need to make it through, and much love, light, and serenity.
Old 09-13-2013, 04:49 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

nbay, so sorry for all your daughter and you are going thru right now.

I'd like to second the recommendation for Pandora's Aquarium. My stepfather abused me as a child and I used that site when I finally addressed the problem several years ago. It's much like SR in that there is a phenomenal amount of wisdom and support there; I feel sure your daughter and you could both benefit from it.

Hoping for peace and healing for both.
Old 09-13-2013, 05:46 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Oh god, I'm so sorry for you and your daughter. I also recommend Pandora's Aquarium, but I also recommend, maybe not immediately but soon, trying to get your daughter to a therapist that deals with rape and PTSD. PTSD presents differently in women than in men, and it looks like depression and flightiness and nervousness and ADD.

Take care of yourself during this dark time. Be very kind and loving to yourself so you can support your daughter with kindness and love.
Old 09-13-2013, 06:01 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry to hear this, hugs to you and your daughter.
Old 09-13-2013, 06:02 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

You and your daughter both have my deepest thoughts and prayers during this horrific time! I am so thankful to know she is alive and with her momma.
Old 09-13-2013, 06:21 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Carrie,

I'm so sorry this happened to your daughter. Please feel free to pm me if you have any questions/concerns about the legal end of things. I'm a retired prosecutor and I still work in the field of DV and violence against women (including sexual assault).

Also, you can both take maximum advantage of the many awesome services for victims available in San Diego. It's one of the most advanced places in the country for helping survivors navigate the system and to recover. Your daughter's victim advocate can hook her up with counseling, go to court with her, explain stuff, whatever she needs.

Hugs,
Old 09-13-2013, 06:37 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Oh Carrie, I'm so sorry for all you are both going through. Sending lots of hugs & prayers your way.
Old 09-13-2013, 07:40 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Florence View Post
Oh god, I'm so sorry for you and your daughter. I also recommend Pandora's Aquarium, but I also recommend, maybe not immediately but soon, trying to get your daughter to a therapist that deals with rape and PTSD. PTSD presents differently in women than in men, and it looks like depression and flightiness and nervousness and ADD.

Take care of yourself during this dark time. Be very kind and loving to yourself so you can support your daughter with kindness and love.
Thank you for your advice. My daughter is seeing a therapist. She had one previous to the assault and she has seen her twice so far. She is very hyper and ADD right now. The good news is that she is in rage and is speaking openly to people and has zero shame. That is a good start for her.
Old 09-13-2013, 07:42 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry...yet so happy to read she has zero shame!
Old 09-13-2013, 07:42 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LexieCat View Post
Carrie,

I'm so sorry this happened to your daughter. Please feel free to pm me if you have any questions/concerns about the legal end of things. I'm a retired prosecutor and I still work in the field of DV and violence against women (including sexual assault).

Also, you can both take maximum advantage of the many awesome services for victims available in San Diego. It's one of the most advanced places in the country for helping survivors navigate the system and to recover. Your daughter's victim advocate can hook her up with counseling, go to court with her, explain stuff, whatever she needs.

Hugs,
I will be taking you up on that offer. (as I type and tear up in gratitude)
Old 09-13-2013, 09:39 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

nBay, my heart goes out to your daughter and you. Prayers and blessings coming your way....
Old 09-13-2013, 09:46 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I will be praying for the two of you.