Really good book....

Old 09-07-2013, 06:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Really good book....

altho a novel, The Good House is an exceptional story and study of what it is like in the mind of an alcoholic. it's funny, witty and sad.....the lies she tells herself....the hidden wine.....looking so together on the outside....the demons inside.....the mecurial changes in her outlook with a couple drinks and then the changes again with a few more.

I listened to it on audiobook and the narrator had Hildy, the main character, down. my mom died back in '92 from liver disease....it wasn't until I read (listened) to this story a couple weeks ago that I gained some real compassion for my mom.
Old 09-07-2013, 07:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks for the tip on the book! I also listen to audiobooks and am down to the next to the last one on my ipod so have been searching for some recommendations. Now I have two to download tomorrow.

My reading is almost as diverse as my music. I bounce all over the place from novels to self help to history, etc.

Have you "read" Beach Music? My therapist recommended it. It was pretty good also.

I lost my mom to liver cancer in '85. She never drank a drop of alcohol in her entire life. Sorry for your loss. I miss my mom every day.
Old 09-08-2013, 06:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It was written by Ann Leary. She is the actor Dennis Leary's wife, and she is a recovering alcoholic. I haven't read it yet, but it looks good.
Old 09-08-2013, 07:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That sounds like a good read. I read another book about a woman who slipped into alcoholism slowly and it was a novel, too. Very good read and it gave me perspective on how easy it is to let drinking get out of control. It's called "Best Kept Secret" by Amy Hatvany.
Old 09-08-2013, 07:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

thanks! i just downloaded the free sample of 20 pages...i'm glad she fired her secretary!
Old 09-08-2013, 08:10 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I recently read "The Good House" and agree, a good book.

I'd like to second "Beach Music", and in fact, anything else by Pat Conroy also, like "Prince of Tides", "The Great Santini" and "Lords of Discipline". All well worth the time to read, IMHO.