Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Alcoholics
Reload this Page >

Need help finding a rehab facility in New England for older adults

Old 09-01-2013, 08:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hey everyone,

I am new posting here, though I have been reading threads for a long time. I'm writing because my father (in his 60s) is a long time alcoholic who went into alcohol detox for the first time this week. He is supposed to go straight from detox into a 30 day inpatient rehab program, but he now does not want to go. He says the reason is because all of the people at the current facility are young guys who are there mainly for drug addiction, and he says there are a lot of fights, confrontations, stealing, etc., and he says he does not feel safe and wants to come home when detox is over. Obviously detox without rehab usually does not work and he really, really needs to be in long-term therapy to kick this thing. His counselor really thinks he needs to be in an inpatient program for at least a month.

Because he has lied about things in the past I don't know how much of what he says is true (it could totally be that he is lying just to come home) but I also don't want him to feel unsafe if what he says really is true. After all, he has taken the first step towards recovery in going to detox.

He is in the Northeast/New England area - I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for inpatient programs there that are a) primarily alcohol-focused and b) maybe skew a little bit older in terms of the patients? I have searched online and looked at the rehab directory on this site but haven't really found anything yet. There is a frustrating lack of real reviews when it comes to rehab centers, etc.

Thank you!
Old 09-01-2013, 09:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I went to Arms Acres in NY. I was 48, and there were older people there, and younger people. No one stole anything - I felt perfectly safe. I recommend it highly.
Best,
Nancy
Old 09-02-2013, 01:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

violet88, my suggestion would be to call the National Counsel on Alcoholism and ask them where you can find the kind of information you need.

won't hurt to try....I hop you get the info. that you need. I know you are right about this---it is hard to find a properly reviewed facility that you can trust. If he has good insurance--you could always send him to Hazelden in St.Paul/ Minneapolis. They have a close airport--and they are a top of the line treatment facility for many decades.

dandylion
Old 09-02-2013, 02:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome to SR! Great suggestions so far, violet!

You might also try to contact his primary care physician, if he has one. His doctor's office may have a list of facilities for you to contact.
Old 09-02-2013, 05:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

May I play the devils advocate here?

My AH soon to be RAH is in rehab right now. We are an upper middle class educated couple with highly professional jobs with an insane amount of responsibility. My husband about one week into rehab wanted to come home because the people there were 'not his demographic'. He felt that would impede his progress. I felt he was being a typical whiny drunk looking for a way out of that place.

My thought on this was: I don't care if they are 22 years old and have a needle hanging out of their arms, you are an addict just like them. I don't care if they are there because of court orders, or mommy and daddy are paying for it, you are an addict the same as them. You are staying there, and if you require further treatment we will look at having a couple bonus weeks at a facility of his choosing.

Guess what? He has been there 6 weeks, and is coming home in 10 days or so. He stopped complaining about the people about 3 to 4 weeks in when he stopped being a typical drunk and started owning his s$#t.

Maybe your dad is winning the big drunk baby award. They give those out you know.