Tips on sleeping?

Old 08-24-2013, 06:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Tips on sleeping?

At night when he is out drinking and will come home at some unannounced hour, how do u find peace and actually sleep? I've tried praying and also breathing exercises, but when I sleep it is just for a minute or two. I really need some rest. Any advice?
Old 08-24-2013, 06:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You can take natural remedies like melatonin, comes in tabs in the drug store. Not addictive or harmful. Also chamomile tea will make you sleepy. Warm milk is another option.
Old 08-24-2013, 06:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Wow thank you

It is so crazy, but I am remembering a LONG time ago when I actually had a bedtime routine that didn't involve being white-knuckled and sick to my stomach because I am so afraid of the consequences of his drinking. I used to make myself a cup of tea! Thank you for the reminder! And I'm going to try melatonin.
Old 08-24-2013, 06:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I buy yogi brand bedtime tea. It works wonders for me but it is quite strong and can make me groggy if I don't have a full 8 hrs to sleep. I've also tried kava kava root in liquid form, it had a really strong effect on me so I don't use it much but it helps with anxiety and made me relaxed and sleepy.

I'm very sensitive even to herbal remedies so I would read the labels carefully and try then when you have time to sleep and recover if they don't suit you well!
Old 08-24-2013, 06:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I've had a long term battle with insomnia and journaling before bed definitely helps me get to sleep. That way, all my thoughts/anxieties are out there out paper instead of filling up my mind. Sometimes if I'm in bed and can't fall asleep or stay asleep, I get up and go somewhere other than the bedroom and journal. My counselor recommended not staying in bed to read, journal, etc., because then you might start to associate your bedroom with insomnia and frustration. It's really helped!
Old 08-24-2013, 07:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

This may sound odd but if I have trouble falling asleep I count backwards from 100. Each breath in and out, count down to 1. Rarely do I make it to 20 before I'm zonked.

Journaling is a very good idea, as long as it doesnt upset or depress the writer, that could make sleep even harder to come by.
Old 08-24-2013, 07:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I took a DBT class with my daughter and I was told to keep saying the word "THE" over and over and it would help me fall asleep. I also took melatonin too as it works better for me then trazadone and some other sleep medications.
Old 08-24-2013, 07:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I moved around so many times growing up, I used to imagine each home we lived in...room by room. And when that didn't work, I spoke to God. Just like I was talking to my best friend. When I was done, I was tired enough that I fell asleep.
Old 08-25-2013, 07:53 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I've been having some issues with sleep as well, worrying and stressing and mind spinning. What I did the other night was to write down everything that was bothering me, got it all out on paper. Then I came up with whatever solutions I could manage to think of for all those problems. After that I wrote down all I had to be grateful for, and all the comforting things that people have shared with me. My favorites are let go and let god, and of course the serenity prayer.

I finally had a good night's sleep. If you find yourself in that situation again, you can re-read what you have written, or do the same exercise again. For me, it helps to have an outlet for my feelings so I don't keep them bottled up. You need to stay healthy and strong, and stress can be a killer.
Old 08-25-2013, 08:07 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I've been using some podcasts by the mental health foundation, they have a pre-sleep and a sleep podcast.. I find they help me to transition from waking to sleeping a little easier..

http://www.mentalhealth.org.uk/help-...tion/podcasts/

They cover a bunch of other topics too..

Always gives me a chuckle when they advise not to listen to the sleep podcasts while driving..

Xx
Old 08-25-2013, 08:25 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-insomnia.html
Old 08-25-2013, 09:52 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I read somewhere. You should image that you are in same safe place and separated from outside world . For example submarine …
Old 08-25-2013, 11:36 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
My emotional baggage

I was going to say Melatonin, Melatonin, Melatonin. This helps me now. But I am not living with an active A now. I used to have this issue when I did live him though and Melatonin would not have helped then. He used to like to come in and wake me up to start arguments and keep me up all night. All the melatonin in the world can't fix that.

If it is just falling asleep that is you issue I recommend Melatonin, if you issue is like mine was I recommend going somewhere else to sleep. Only thing that works!

4MyBoys
Old 08-25-2013, 11:59 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Tips From My Doctor
--have set regular bedtime
--have set routine before bed
--2 hours before bedtime do something physical to make you tired & then eat small snack
-try muscle relax/meditation starting with your feet & work up--tense, release, deep breath through each muscle
--if after 30 minutes, you cannot sleep, don't fight it, get up & read or listen to soft music but nothing high intensity (TV, games, Computers or activities)
--try again to sleep after another 30 minutes
*Sometimes we can't sleep because we worry whether we'll be able to sleep so tell yourself it's okay if you can't, your body's not ready and so do something that makes you sleepy instead.
Old 08-25-2013, 12:53 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Melatonin made me feel weird. Valerian Root.
Old 08-25-2013, 12:55 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Celticgirl View Post
I've been having some issues with sleep as well, worrying and stressing and mind spinning. What I did the other night was to write down everything that was bothering me, got it all out on paper. Then I came up with whatever solutions I could manage to think of for all those problems. After that I wrote down all I had to be grateful for, and all the comforting things that people have shared with me. My favorites are let go and let god, and of course the serenity prayer.

I finally had a good night's sleep. If you find yourself in that situation again, you can re-read what you have written, or do the same exercise again. For me, it helps to have an outlet for my feelings so I don't keep them bottled up. You need to stay healthy and strong, and stress can be a killer.
I read somewhere to devote two ten minute periods a day to "worrying". If you worry other times, tell yourself you have reserved times for that.

Have not tried it myself.
Old 08-25-2013, 01:04 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

In the UK, we can not buy melatonin.
It is a prescription only medication for the over 55 year old's.
You can only get it from your doctor and I think you have to have a diagnosis of parkinson's.
Old 08-25-2013, 03:14 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

One (probably unpopular & inconvenient) suggestion I have is to reduce or eliminate "screen time" right before bed - computer, tv, phones - because they are overstimulating in general, and the bright lights trick our brain into thinking it's daylight, etc. There's good info out there about "sleep hygiene" along these lines. I have teenagers who don't get enough sleep, so it's on my mind a lot.

And I have to second the post about sleeping elsewhere, though I apologize if that is not especially useful to your situation right now... Frankly, I didn't sleep well, no matter what I tried, until I stopped sleeping with ABF altogether.

Good luck
SQ
Old 08-25-2013, 03:21 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Flavia2 View Post
At night when he is out drinking and will come home at some unannounced hour, how do u find peace and actually sleep? I've tried praying and also breathing exercises, but when I sleep it is just for a minute or two. I really need some rest. Any advice?
What part of it is keeping you awake - worry about him, how life is with him like this, noise when he comes home or does he try to wake you up? All of the above?

If you break it down, maybe you'll be able to find some additional solutions. If you don't have kids at home, I'll third the thought on finding another place to sleep when he's out drinking.

If it's that he's driving home, is there a way to arrange for someone to drive him, take his keys and/or have him take a taxi home?

Also look into binaural beats for relaxation and better deep sleep.
Binaural Beats and How They Affect Your Brain
How to Use Sound for Therapy: 7 Steps (with Pictures) - wikiHow
Old 08-25-2013, 05:29 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I also second the valerian root. Just took some awhile ago.