Trigger - major - past abuse in childhood

Old 08-22-2013, 04:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Trigger - major - past abuse in childhood

I don't want to make anyone lose it... the kind of abuse I'm talking about is possibly the worst kind...

If you are thinking you may be remotely triggered, please don't scroll down

Have any of you been victims of sexual abuse? I guess I've never talked about it in much depth. It hurts too much. What are your experiences?

Thanks.
Old 08-22-2013, 04:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

If you have the strength to reply, please do... I'm desperate for others who understand.

Thanks.
Old 08-22-2013, 05:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Onawa, I experienced this also. Would you prefer to PM me and talk? I'm here and willing to do anything I can to help.
Old 08-22-2013, 05:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Hello Onawa,

I can assure you that you are definitely not alone. I am not an abuse survivor myself but know that there are members here who have experienced this sort of abuse.

Because sexual abuse is such a triggering subject and may be harmful to the recovery of others, we generally recommend that detailed discussions be held on other on-line forums. Two that have been recommended in the past are:

Pandora's Aquarium

Rape & Sexual Abuse Survivor Message Board, Support Forums & Chat Room

I hope that you find these links to be helpful.
Old 08-22-2013, 05:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Seconding the recommendation for Pandora's Aquarium. It's a really great community for dealing with this issue. I spent a lot of time there myself about 10 years ago when coming to grips w/this part of my life. It's a lot like SR, now that I think about it...

Sorry I didn't think of this to suggest it, and thanks, hydrogirl, for doing so.
Old 08-22-2013, 05:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I had an incident in my youth that disturbed me for a lot of years, although others had it much worse.

If you haven't investigated counselling, I really recommend it - it helped me sort through my feelings a lot.

D
Old 08-22-2013, 06:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you.
Old 08-22-2013, 06:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

You are not alone, Onawa....I promise you that.
Old 08-22-2013, 10:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You are not alone. If you want to PM me, I can talk about my experiences. There were 2 different incidents(one when I was 7 and then when I was 19). I hate being matter of fact about it, but for the purposes of what you're asking I just thought I'd share. You are not alone and yes, there can be things that creep up in adulthood regarding these issues, it's something I've been working on in therapy.
Old 08-22-2013, 11:40 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Bunnies!

You most certainly are not alone. You can PM me any time. (((((Hugs)))))
Old 08-23-2013, 12:11 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Onawa, you are really going through a lot right now. I'm going to requote a great one from the quote thread: Be patient and tough. Someday this pain will be useful to you.
Old 08-23-2013, 05:36 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

You're not alone. I benefited from therapy and EMDR treatments for PTSD. Unfortunately my sexual assault was bound up with a lot of other mess by the time I treated it, so I had layers to get through before I was able to find relief from the anxiety.
Old 08-23-2013, 06:27 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Babe, I third those websites mentioned before. They are incredibly gentle, supportive places that help me heal from sexual abuse I suffered in my marriage.
Old 08-23-2013, 09:06 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Engineer Things; LOVE People

Originally Posted by hydrogirl View Post
You are not alone, Onawa....I promise you that.
Good description.

I remember I was working with a lawyer (business stuff) and the conversation was drifting across various topics, including T type stuff, PTSD, and this topic. She paused, looked real calm and firm, but gentle . . . and said -- That happens to a LOT of people. A Lot . . .

Took me a few seconds to figure out what she was saying . . .

Kind of a O.I.C.U.R.1.2. moment.

Same wisdom she departed to me to you, OnawaMiniya -- A LOT of people.

For the comfort it gives -- which I recall as being quite a bit -- You are NOT alone.

=========

Back towards the question at hand.

http://twhj.com/ was where I did a bunch of my "work" in this regard. But that was some years ago. Before Mrs. Hammer, and chilluns of our own to mis-raise.

Probably not so surprisingly to ms. Hydro-Groundhog, I got kicked out of there. A couple of times.

I just flipped it open, it does not look so busy as back in the day.

Wound up later at a group called Support-Group.com -- now dead -- which is probably just as well . . . . was a real Wild West Web sort of site, with my Pen-Pal.

Mrs. Hammer was also on that site, and decided she wanted some of the "Caretaker" Codie stuff I tend[ed?] towards. We met IRL did the 13th Step thing and been together since.

Life is funny at times. Both funny haha and funny strange.

You will be ok, OnawaMiniya, and will learn to put the past in the past, live the here and the now, and look to a brighter tomorrow.

Everything you have learned about getting better in this realm applies to that slice of the world, as well.
Old 08-23-2013, 05:28 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thank you so much, everyone. Have had many experiences over my lifetime in this realm. I won't post it here, as I don't want to trigger anyone (further...I hope I didn't cause harm to anyone...).

Moderators, I completely understand if you think it's a good idea to delete this thread. I am going to write down those who said I could pm them in case you do delete this.

Again, thank you everyone for the support and kind words. And thank you for the suggestions for where to talk about this. I always feel good about recommendations given to me from the people here.

Thank you for offering pm'ing, I know it's not an easy or comfortable thing to speak about...It's very kind of you all to reach out like that.

I'm sorry I'm not alone, sorry that many of you have been through this. Big hugs.

Peace, and hoping you are all doing well.
Old 08-23-2013, 05:32 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
I Love Who I Am

Thank you so much for those links to online support groups.

OnawaMiniya- Here's a thread i started about my abuse and the abuse of my neighbors daugher and how it affected me (still does) but it is a MAJOR TRIGGER WARNING

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...eaked-out.html

You are so not alone. one in four women have been sexually assaulted. It's so good you're reaching out for help. You have to get to a place where you feel safe emotionally. You can do it. Please keep posting here. Maybe I'll see you on the other boards? I signed up today.
Old 08-23-2013, 05:41 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by transformyself View Post
Thank you so much for those links to online support groups.

OnawaMiniya- Here's a thread i started about my abuse and the abuse of my neighbors daugher and how it affected me (still does) but it is a MAJOR TRIGGER WARNING

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...eaked-out.html

You are so not alone. one in four women have been sexually assaulted. It's so good you're reaching out for help. You have to get to a place where you feel safe emotionally. You can do it. Please keep posting here. Maybe I'll see you on the other boards? I signed up today.
I did see that thread...I felt so bad not just for the girl but for you as well. That is a nightmare situation...

If you want to pm me the name you signed up on those boards as, you can. I'm not sure if I'll use the same name I use here. Haven't signed up just yet but I plan on it.

Once in a while it just gets stuck on my mind. Usually when I am already feeling vulnerable or weakened.

Peace.