SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Alcoholics (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/)
-   -   simple QUOTES... (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/304435-simple-quotes.html)

Stung 07-30-2014 10:54 AM

I love this thread. <3

m1k3 07-30-2014 11:09 AM

You can wring the alcohol out of an a$$hat but you are still left with an a$$hat.

Breathe, relax, smile. :)

Your friend,

fedup3 07-30-2014 11:25 AM

"Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer but wish we didn't."

"The struggle you’re in today is developing the strength you need for tomorrow."

"If you allow people to make more withdrawals than deposits in your life, you will be out of balance and in the negative. Know when to close the account."

lillamy 07-30-2014 11:27 AM

This is a longer passage, but it fits me so well and I think maybe there's a few people here who could relate, too:

“When I was little and running on the race track at school, I always stopped and waited for all the other kids so we could run together even though I knew (and everybody else knew) that I could run much faster than all of them! I pretended to read slowly so I could "wait" for everyone else who couldn't read as fast as I could! When my friends were short I pretended that I was short too and if my friend was sad I pretended to be unhappy. I could go on and on about all the ways I have limited myself, my whole life, by "waiting" for people. And the only thing that I've ever received in return is people thinking that they are faster than me, people thinking that they can make me feel bad about myself just because I let them and people thinking that I have to do whatever they say I should do. My mother used to teach me "Cinderella is a perfect example to be" but I have learned that Cinderella can go **** herself, I'm not waiting for anybody, anymore! I'm going to run as fast as I can, fly as high as I can, I am going to soar and if you want you can come with me! But I'm not waiting for you anymore.”
― C. JoyBell C.

lillamy 07-30-2014 11:29 AM

Oh, and another one, for my fellow people-pleasers:

“If you just set out to be liked, you will be prepared to compromise on anything at anytime, and would achieve nothing. ”
― Margaret Thatcher

doubledoublewin 07-30-2014 11:42 AM

"When people show you - or tell you - who they are, believe them the first time. " -Maya Angelou

FireSprite 07-30-2014 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by lillamy (Post 4810444)
This is a longer passage, but it fits me so well and I think maybe there's a few people here who could relate, too:

This totally made my day, thank you!

suncatcher 07-30-2014 12:01 PM

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.

m1k3 07-30-2014 12:11 PM

This kinda fits. The difference between a pitbull and a codie is that the pitbull knows when to let go.

Butterfly 07-30-2014 02:43 PM

Wow thank you for these

fourmaggie 07-30-2014 06:40 PM

I am so glad this thread is still going!!

:)

FireSprite 10-10-2014 11:09 AM

http://i866.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps6c803489.jpg

maia1234 10-10-2014 11:58 AM

Some of my Favorites-

Forgiveness is no favor; we do it for no one but ourselves

Do you want your life to be different? What are you willing to do about it?

Serenity is not freedom from the storm, but peace amid the storm

Acceptance is the answer to all my problems today. When I am disturbed, it is because I find some person, place, thing or situation -- some fact of my life -- unacceptable to me, and I can find no serenity until I accept that person, place, thing or situation as being exactly the way it is supposed to be, at this moment.

You can't fix him. He is in the midst of his disease. He will seek recovery--real recovery when he decides to---and, not one minute sooner. It will have to come from within him because HE wants it--WHAT YOU WANT doesn't even figure into the equation, in his alcoholic thinking.

We don't do something different, such as make a change, until the pain of what we're doing, becomes greater than the pain of changing.

"An alcoholic is going to behave the way they are going to behave - and you just happen to be there." Meaning if it wasn't you, it could be someone else.

If you leave and he changes, good for you. If you leave and he doesn't change, good for you

It isn't my job to reward him for sobriety or punish him for drunkenness

Trying to talk with someone who is in love with an alcoholic, is often like trying to talk with the alcoholic, himself. They just aren't ready to listen

atalose 10-10-2014 12:56 PM

If it’s not making you better, it isn’t love. True love makes you more of who you are, not less…..

and

I love the person I’ve become because I fought to become her……

FireSprite 02-17-2015 10:11 AM

~BUMP~ Found some great stuff in the archives in this post:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...er-quotes.html

When you judge others, you do not define them, you define yourself.

When I changed the way I looked at things...the things I looked at, changed...

FireSprite 02-17-2015 10:11 AM

shared from the same thread:

Please Untie the Nots

Dear God:
Please untie the nots that are invading my mind, my heart and my life.
Please remove the have nots, the can nots and the do nots that invade my mind.
Please erase the will nots, may nots, might nots that invade my heart.

Please release me from the could nots, would nots and should nots that invade my life.
Most of all, dear God, I ask that you remove from my mind, my heart and my life all of the am nots that I have allowed to hold me back.
Please erase from my mind the thought that i am not good enough
Please remove from my heart that I am not loved enough.
Please untie from my life everything that I clutch that supports the belief that I am not enough.

Today, dear God, I come to you humbly and reverently asking that you untie, eliminate and erase all of the nots that have invaded every aspect of my life.
For your mercy and your grace I am so grateful.
Let these words take on the presence of the Holy Spirit to become living conditions in my life.
And So It Is!!!

Butterfly 02-18-2015 09:37 AM

Worry does not take away tomorrow's troubles. It takes away today's peace

I am learning to walk away from people and situations that threaten my peace of mind, self respect or my self worth!

Love yourself, enough to make changes towards your happiness,
enough to let the past stay in the past
Enough to focus on the present moment and enjoy life for all it has to offer
Enough to forgive yourself and others, so you can truly let go and move on
Rebecca fox

theuncertainty 08-07-2015 01:11 PM

I think you’re right that he’s got a problem. But, you know sometimes, well…there’s something you have to learn as you grow up. Some people make their own problems. And they never stop hurting themselves and messing up the people around them. And when that’s the case, then you shouldn’t keep hurting yourself for them. — quote from the character Bob Gu in Vernor Vinge’s book, Rainbows End

2ndhandrose 08-07-2015 02:24 PM

Do something today that your future self will thank you for. unknown

FireSprite 09-08-2015 09:58 AM

My favorite Brene Brown quotes from Daring Greatly"

"Don't try to win over the haters; you aren't the jackass whisperer."

"Love is not something we give or get; it is something that we nurture & grow."

"We have to believe we are enough in order to say, 'Enough!" (talking of setting boundaries)

"Our sense of belonging can never be greater than our level of self acceptance."

And because she mentions it a couple of times in the reading:

"What would you attempt if you knew you could not fail?" (Robert Schuller)