Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Alcoholics
Reload this Page >

Where can I find info on common traits of families of alcoholics?

Old 08-14-2013, 02:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

After spending a bizarre, frustrating and unnerving couple of weeks around my STBXAHs family I'm curious about what sort of characteristics are common to families of alcoholics. My STBXAH is an ACOA so its multi-generational
Thanking you in advance
Old 08-14-2013, 02:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Bunnies!

The ACoA forum stickies might be a good jumping off point. Two boards underneath this one is the Adult Children of Addicted/Alcoholic Parents section. You can get a lot of information from those of us over there. We have had quite a few discussions about family dynamics lately. Hope this helps.
Old 08-15-2013, 07:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm an adult child who has just left an alcoholic relationship. I read the Adult Children of Alcoholics book and it was like a slap in the face. The dynamics are the epitome of dysfunction and the impact on children is devastating. I've just started the long road to recovery.

In addition to the ACoA stickies, there is some literature dedicated to this subject:

Adult Children Books - Books for Adult Children of Alcoholics
Old 08-15-2013, 08:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Just keep in mind that it isn't multigenerational in all families, and alcoholics don't necessarily wind up that way because of how their families are/were. My family is straight out of Leave it to Beaver, and I'm not aware of any addiction issues anywhere in my extended family. I'm a mutant.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
box of chocolates

Originally Posted by LexieCat View Post
Just keep in mind that it isn't multigenerational in all families, and alcoholics don't necessarily wind up that way because of how their families are/were. My family is straight out of Leave it to Beaver, and I'm not aware of any addiction issues anywhere in my extended family. I'm a mutant.
Stumbled in this. Just adding 2 cents. Nature vs nurture...and if you consider that genetics maybe play a role theres no telling who in a family passed on the addictive gene given that an offspring can carry a trait from a distant relative even going as far back as the roots themselves. Just saying. So your leave it to beaver family could just have been lucky in not hitting the family genetic lottery and you did..

But thats what this topic reminded me. Nature vs nurture which has been a long standing debate one if which has to do with both and not really one or the other imo
Old 08-16-2013, 03:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I learned a lot from the Al-Anon book on the having an alcholic family "From Survival to Recovery." I also learned a lot from anything by Sylvia Black.
Old 08-17-2013, 07:53 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
I AM CANADIAN

well...its not like that they have a STICKY NOTE on the fridge...

but every family passes it down to the next generation....
Old 08-17-2013, 12:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Bunnies!

Originally Posted by LifeRecovery View Post
I learned a lot from the Al-Anon book on the having an alcholic family "From Survival to Recovery." I also learned a lot from anything by Sylvia Black.
"From Survival to Recovery" is like my recovery bible. I have multiple sections tagged, notes tucked in everywhere. Great resource for ACOA just starting on their journey.
Old 08-17-2013, 12:36 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Ok great,
I have ordered the Adult children of Alcoholics book and looks like the Survival to recovery is a must too.
Thanks everyone for your input xxx