Binge drinking

Old 08-08-2013, 03:17 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

I never really binged, I was more slow and steady. But I know of binge drinkers who I would class as alcoholics too.
Old 08-08-2013, 12:21 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DreamsofSerenity View Post
My ex was a binge drinker but he had all the symtoms of pretty advanced alcoholism--yellow eyes, the lying, the denial, the black outs, etc..

His binges lasted a while, maybe a week or so. Then he'd swear he was going to get sober but it never lasted longer than a month or so.

When I went to the AA meeting with him he prefaced his share by "I don't drink every day." He really hung onto that and believed it made him different than other alcoholics. (He wasn't).
Very good post. Thanks for the honest share.
Old 08-08-2013, 02:45 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Loss of control and negative consequences together seems to be indica of addiction. Addicts don't have a stop button whether binging or slow and steady. My son regularly binges starting Friday into Sunday and calls in sick on Monday. I expect him to be fired anytime now.
Old 08-08-2013, 03:15 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
KKE

Some really interesting posts. Just wanted to say thanks for all of them so far. I think what I'm getting from them is:
1. Alcoholics can be binge drinkers but not all binge drinkers are alcoholics
2. Binge drinking can be the start of alcoholism
3. It's not how much or how often you drink, it's how it makes you feel and affects your life

Since my A started AA and has been in recovery, I feel like its a lot more obvious when I drink and it has thrown up a few questions for me. I'm not an alcoholic but I've been questioning the way I drink.