The UnEffing/Home Improvement--Before & After Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 08:40 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Originally Posted by amy55 View Post
You know what, maybe ignored what ever I posted, because my whole house is just dark. If you have the light, that first color is probably what you need. You need a color that fits you. Pick the one that makes you happy.
Don't worry, I will. I always do. But I also appreciate opinions that suggest considerations I may not have thought of. To my eye, the one on the left looks a little richer. I did have some samples that were definitely too dark. I'll get a couple more opinions and go with what I really feel I like. I wish the lighter one had a bit more of the "texture" (not physical texture because they are the same matte finish, but rather the color texture if you get my drift).
Old 08-05-2013, 08:46 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Lexie, are you close to So Plainfield, NJ? I just want you to look at some of the granite. It isn't that expensive. You only pay for what you need not the whole slab.

Those pieces have texture. And you don't need that much. I can email the name of the place and you can get prices for it online for comparison. Won't have to worry about coffee stains

Oh, and the samples are free
Old 08-05-2013, 08:48 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
A work in progress

The kitchen wallpaper will be stripped and I intend to paint it the same light green as my dining room--they sort of flow into each other and I think that would look the best.

I'm not sure how accurate this will come through on the computer, but here are the two samples against the green paint in the dining room. The paint looks a bit more like tan than green in the pic...

ETA: OK, this is closer to the actual color.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
P8050411 small.jpg (29.9 KB, 51 views)
Old 08-05-2013, 08:51 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
A work in progress

No, I'm in South Camden County, almost Gloucester County. So. Plainfield is a haul for me. I'm really not into the granite for this project.
Old 08-05-2013, 08:59 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Ok, the paint there really did look beige. Just trying to visualize here for a minute.

....... thinking.................thinking

now put the darker one up to the cabinets.

I have a feeling that you don't really like the lighter one because of coffee stains

so put the darker one up, and also the green one up against the cabinets

BTW, you have a really nice looking hand. (lol)
Old 08-05-2013, 09:00 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Heh, my ring, if you didn't notice, is the AA symbol. It's sterling and opal--got it at the 75th anniversary convention in San Antonio.
Old 08-05-2013, 09:02 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

I did notice the ring, was going to ask you about that. (lol)
Old 08-05-2013, 09:03 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  
A work in progress

The darker one actually is a grayish green. I have to get to bed, but will try to take a couple of pics by the cabinets tomorrow. Thanks so much for kicking it around with me!!
Old 08-05-2013, 09:06 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Hey, DeVon! Sorry I didn't welcome you back immediately. So glad to see you around here again--how's life treating you? How's Amber?
Old 08-05-2013, 09:06 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

ok, good night, it might also be easier to take one of the cabinet door off and lay it down on the floor next to all the other samples. Believe me I did this.

and the wall is starting to look a little more greenish to me now. Have a good sleep, too many decisions for one night, right?????
Old 08-05-2013, 09:10 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Originally Posted by amy55 View Post
and the wall is starting to look a little more greenish to me now. Have a good sleep, too many decisions for one night, right?????
I actually adjusted the color in the pic so it looked closer to what it really is. It still isn't exactly right, but it's in the ballpark.

YES!!! TOO MANY FREAKIN' DECISIONS!! Good thing I'm not drinking anymore!!!
Old 08-06-2013, 08:06 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Lexie, I'm a real codie, and I was studying this again today. The light one on the right before, I think it is too close in color to the back splash to really compliment that. I think I would want a color that just draws my eye right to the back splash, and that would be one of the darker colors.

Now between the darker colors, I actually like them both. One would be more of a neutral, (the grayish green) even though they are both neutral, and I think I am leaning towards the first one again (the green one) that one would be more like adding in another color into the kitchen, but and there is always a but..........

Since I can't really see the colors that well, I think I would go with the one with more of a texture, meaning the speckles in it. It's the speckling that will hide the coffee rings better.

And this is why my contractors hate to ask me to make a decision. (lol)
Old 08-06-2013, 08:33 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pondlady View Post
We ripped out our hardwoods a few years ago and put in a slate looking tile across the back of the house. I think it's 18 inch and is on the diagonal......love it!!!
Ooooohhh! I LOVE slate!
Old 08-06-2013, 08:36 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LexieCat View Post
The kitchen wallpaper will be stripped and I intend to paint it the same light green as my dining room--they sort of flow into each other and I think that would look the best.

I'm not sure how accurate this will come through on the computer, but here are the two samples against the green paint in the dining room. The paint looks a bit more like tan than green in the pic...

ETA: OK, this is closer to the actual color.
I like the left one.
Old 08-06-2013, 08:43 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

I have nothing to say, but I love this thread. I dream of a soberrecovery version of Trading Spaces...
Old 08-06-2013, 08:46 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kimmieh View Post
I have nothing to say, but I love this thread. I dream of a soberrecovery version of Trading Spaces...
Ditto
Old 08-06-2013, 08:48 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Well, unfortunately I now have another thought. There is a solid surface by Formica, that is the exact same color as the lighter one that everyone likes, that DOES have speckles. It is actually one of their eSurfaces, with some recycled material mixed in. I just ordered a rush sample of that, and I will ask my carpenter friend if he or someone he knows could do a solid surface countertop. Apparently you just use normal carpentry tools (saws and routers and sanders) to cut and shape them.

Today, in the light, I think either one would work--the lighter or the darker one. I think the very light floors and backsplash will provide plenty of brightness. But the solid surface gots me thinkin'....
Old 08-06-2013, 04:13 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  
A work in progress

OK, my friend the tile guy was just here. He definitely preferred the darker gray-green Formica. The lighter one looked OK, but it has more of a "plastic" kind of look, for lack of a better term. And he told me that the solid-surface costs almost as much as granite. I think I'm going with the gray-green with just a plain edge. He can actually make that and install it for much less money. If I decide I want a more expensive countertop later, or want to change my colors, it won't feel like nearly as big a deal to replace a laminate countertop as it would something I've spent a lot of money on. If I'm going to spend more money in the kitchen right now I'd rather replace the hardware on the cabinets, ya know? And maybe I'll do that, we'll see how much the electrician is gonna charge me for the wiring in the basement and stuff.

His thought, too, was to choose a black sink rather than white. Anyone have an opinion on that? I really don't want stainless steel--I hate the water spots and stuff they tend to get even when they are clean. The appliances are all black. I've never had a black sink, and it seems somehow weird to me.

Input?
Old 08-06-2013, 04:26 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

I don't know about a black sink. It's almost like a black car. Did anyone ever notice that if you have a white car, you don't need to wash it as often as a black car. Black shows everything. I think you would have to be Mrs. Clean to have that look good all the time.

Glad you are going with the darker color, like I said in my morning codie post, I rethought that one. There wouldn't have been enough contrast to draw you eye to the subway tile.

What type of material for the white sink? Porcelain, or they also have like a soapstone or whatever. I had one of those, the soapstone. They are very porous and easily stained. Go with porcelain, but just a suggestion.

Also, don't just disregard stainless, I was going to do that. I got a brushed stainless, and I liked that one. It was that mirror like effect, it was easy to clean, and also check out the gauges on those.
Old 08-06-2013, 05:02 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  
A work in progress

The white is composite, has pretty good reviews. Yeah, the black sink just doesn't quite sit right with me somehow. With the white tile, I think white would look better. There is a sort of grayish-green composite, but they don't have them in stock. Suppose I could have it shipped to the store and check it out there before I schlep it home...