Addiction does not discriminate

Old 08-04-2013, 11:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Addiction does not discriminate

Six years ago today, my brother-in-law's son (from previous marriage) died of a heroin overdose. He was in his mid 20s. His son had an upper-middle class upbringing. There is no history of any addiction from either side of his family. His parents and step-parents are all very successful (commercial pilots and chefs- one has even been on food network). He was loved greatly.

My heart breaks knowing how much my BIL has suffered over the years in coming to terms with having to bury his son. And for what reason? Addiction. It does not discriminate. It only destroys.

Peace and serenity to friends and family on SR that are in pain and suffering because of addiction.
Old 08-04-2013, 12:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Crazed View Post
Six years ago today, my brother-in-law's son (from previous marriage) died of a heroin overdose. He was in his mid 20s. His son had an upper-middle class upbringing. There is no history of any addiction from either side of his family. His parents and step-parents are all very successful (commercial pilots and chefs- one has even been on food network). He was loved greatly.

My heart breaks knowing how much my BIL has suffered over the years in coming to terms with having to bury his son. And for what reason? Addiction. It does not discriminate. It only destroys.

Peace and serenity to friends and family on SR that are in pain and suffering because of addiction.
TRIGGER FOLLOWS
No, it doesn't discriminate. I had a friend who discovered his girlfriend's body. She had overdosed. He spiraled further into heroin, until one day he put a gun to his head. Only in his thirties.

I miss him.
Old 08-04-2013, 03:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Addiction doesn't discriminate, but it's impressive how many still believe you can't be brilliant, rich, beautiful and athletic and be an addict all at the very same time. AH and one of my best girlfriends are all and the same. Unless you've got a lot of a certain kind of life experience, no one would ever believe it.

As the struggling Wife of, it's really hard. Everyone looks at me as though I must be a raving lunatic.
Old 08-04-2013, 07:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

No it doesn't. My father in law was a DR., my husband worked for a major drug company, and I'm a teacher. Our children had a great upbringing. We live in a lovely home and both my children have traveled to Europe and had many cultural advantages. We rarely drank and they were raised in a loving home. My daughter is a surgeon. My 22 year old son is an alcoholic.