This is not about politics

Old 08-03-2013, 10:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

This is not about politics

but about how I got a wakeup call this morning. It's not too OT. But a bit.

Y'all have probably not been able to avoid hearing about Anthony Weiner, right?
I've been rolling my eyes at Huma Abedin, his wife, standing by her man despite the fact that he's been documented cheating on her (maybe not physically but still) for X years and is still going at it. I've thought "dear GOD what some people will do to be close to power! What a power hungry wench she must be!"

And then I read a newspaper story this morning that said Huma Abedin is taking full responsibility for her husband's cheating.

You see, after the last time he was caught pants down, they committed to marriage counseling. But after their first child was born 18 months ago, Huma quit the marriage counseling to focus her attention on their baby instead. And that, my friends (she said) is why he had to go back to sending dirty pictures to 19-year-olds. It was all her fault.

I teared up reading it.
And I thought -- again -- that that's a fellow codie if ever I saw one. She may be an ultra-intelligent badass politician-type person -- but not even the best spinner in the world would have come up with that line. I can't think other than that this woman actually believes that. That it was her fault.

A good reminder to myself to not judge people too quickly.
Old 08-03-2013, 10:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

And that, my friends (she said) is why he had to go back to sending dirty pictures to 19-year-olds. It was all her fault.
Yes, that is so damn sad it makes me tear up too.
dammit, her fault for him flaunting his wienie all over, for god's sake.
Sigh.....
to think she might lose her job over it shows how much she is in for.
that is what I am hearing the talking heads gabber about.
Her job with Hilary Clinton, cause it brings back all that old stand by your man
crap from years ago.
geezus.
Old 08-04-2013, 04:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I felt similar with the affair stuff then I did with the alcohol. It was my fault that the situation was not perfect....that he needed to act out that way.

I suspect for her (I hope for her) that this is a big boulder thrown in a pond and that the ripples will eventually lead to healing. I hope that for all of us.
Old 08-04-2013, 06:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
I Love Who I Am

Yep. And the whole thing is played out in glorious living color for the masses to see.

Hopefully it will be a learning moment for more than the three of us.
Old 08-04-2013, 06:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It makes sense if you look at her husband---THE POSTER CHILD FOR NARCISSISM---they often hook up with co-dependent types. We see these scenarios here, every day.

Also, she, no doubt, yearns for the power position as much as he does--thru him.

This is really very common, ordinary stuff---only, played out on a bigger stage under the spotlight, larger than life.

dandylion
Old 08-04-2013, 06:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You mean ******* wasn't meant to rule NYC? Maybe he just can't get that he's the biggest fan of that cute little thang...

Last edited by DesertEyes; 08-04-2013 at 07:00 AM. Reason: Language inappropriate for children
Old 08-04-2013, 06:53 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Remember too that her parents were born in the middle east and she was raised in Saudi Arabia, where women have few rights and are treated as property. Although she returned to the US when she was in her late teens, her formative years as a child could very well cause her to feel as if her husband's problems really are her fault. In this instance it's sad, but culture and upbringing can affect us the rest of our lives.
Old 08-04-2013, 07:11 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi, again, folks---I wish to attach this thought to my above post.....

I remember so clearly about Betty Ford who was seeing her therapist after a failed attempt at the first intervention (at the White House!). her life had been one continuous "stand by your man", co-dependent existence. (she was the drinker/pill addicted- not him). Now, Gerald had an ego as big as Montana.

When her therapist asked her why it had been her choice to live such a life of self-denial and "second class" priority in the marriage---her answer was that she wanted the perks that came with their celebrity status and she figured that the sacrifice would be worth it. the problem was that she sold her soul for it.

My take away from this is that nothing, NOTHING, is worth selling your soul.

dandylion
Old 08-04-2013, 12:18 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dandylion View Post
My take away from this is that nothing, NOTHING, is worth selling your soul.
Amen to this, Dandylion!
Old 08-04-2013, 12:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Originally Posted by lillamy View Post
And I thought -- again -- that that's a fellow codie if ever I saw one.
My thoughts too, I was thinking: Gee she could really benefit joining us at SR and hanging out with the friends and family crew (especially the (ex) wives and girlfriends).
Can you think about going through that pain, without support AND in the public eye?
Old 08-04-2013, 12:58 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I heard somewhere that she has her own political aspirations...I feel like in the world of politics, they are mostly narciscistic personalities! Looking out for #1...we don't know what does or doesn't go on behind closed doors...
Old 08-04-2013, 01:50 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Hello everyone,

Anytime a marriage is in trouble, it is extraordinarily sad. When it plays out in the public, well, I can only just begin to imagine the pain--for all involved.

We will never know what is or has been happening inside this marriage or the motivation for their choices. I would hate for others to judge anything about me based on a few words potentially taken out of context.

Thank you, all. This thread is closed.