a new puppy..........

Old 05-20-2002, 03:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Post a new puppy..........

Hi all, today I have a dilema about a new puppy. On Saturday my husband and I went into Petsmart to get some dog food. They had some puppies and kittens there for adoption. My husband wants to adopt this puppy. I am shocked, we have an 8 year old dog and 2 cats at home. I am sure I dont want a new dog and more responsibility. But there is my husband with the light in his eyes wanting this new puppy and of course the puppy is SO adorable. So I let him bring it home, but I am half mad, half excited about it. My son's birthday is Tuesday and I get the bright idea of telling him this puppy is for his birthday and since he will be 17 it will teach him responsibility etc. I think he will laugh and say no way. Well when he comes home we tell him this and he is happy, mildly excited about the dog and says then I get to name him. So we spend the day with the dog yesterday and I start to get attached to him. But I tell my husband that I dont know why he wanted to do this, all the negitives etc. So now this morning he says he is going to take the puppy back. Well first of all I am a little bit attached to the puppy. And I dont know how my son feels. My husband said he talked to Jesse and asked him if he was ready to take full responsibility for the dog and he said he doesnt know. But he doesnt want his Dad to take him back.
So what do I do? Do I step out of the decision and let my husband decide what to do. Or do I step in like I always do and try to take care of how everyone will feel in this situation? Try to make the "right" decision. I get attached and feel responsibile for animals and people very quickly. This puppy is so cute but the problems could be so great. Oh fooey. Any thoughts?
Old 05-20-2002, 05:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Morning Glory

I had the same thing happen. I made the decision to keep the puppy. Boy did I pay for it. Every fight was over the dog. I did keep the dog long after my A though. I think it would just cause you more grief unless it was your husbands decision.

MG

Old 05-20-2002, 05:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Now my husband called me and said he thinks we should keep the puppy. I am going to do the unusal - back off and let him make the decision. I have already spent so much time obsessing over this situation this morning. I think it is a mistake, and he know that already. Let him obsess about it for a change!
Old 05-20-2002, 06:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

If you and your husband told your son the puppy was a gift, the decision about whether the dog stays or goes is his. It does not matter that you didn't think it through well or completely. You gave the dog to your son. Do a step one on the dog. Let go.

Hugs,
Smoke