Feeling Crappy Today

Old 07-28-2013, 07:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Feeling Crappy Today

I feel like I should be feeling stronger today, but I just don't.

Two weeks ago I gave my AH a letter telling him that I am unhappy and he needs to get help -- for his drinking, his chewing tobacco habit, and for his mental health. I told him that we cannot work on our marriage until he takes action for himself. In a sober moment, he was remorseful and promised to be better.

Fast forward to this weekend. He has given up the tobacco. He has made an appointment with a therapist. The drinking is the same.

But he's acting like Mr. Positive. He keeps trying to flirt with me and tell me how much he loves me, etc. I want none of it. It's as if he made the minimal effort and now I should be happy.

But I'm still not happy. I hate that his drinking still triggers all these feelings in me after all the work I have done on myself. And I hate that there was a part of me who hoped that he really would choose me and the kids over drinking. Now I see that it just isn't going to happen and I have to move forward with some difficult decisions. I'm just so sad that his drinking is going to cause the break up of our family.

I'm not really looking for advice -- I know what I need to do next. Just hoping some of you can give me some encouragement that I am doing the right thing by ending my marriage. Because it doesn't feel that way right now.
Old 07-28-2013, 08:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Well, re-read your post. What is it about what you've written that makes you feel like you AREN'T doing the right thing by ending your marriage?
Old 07-28-2013, 08:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

IMO, NO ONE deserves (or should live with an active A). Not you, and certainly not your children. You all deserve a peaceful place away from his madness.

It's a tragedy but also a reality that you can't change. Stay strong and build an emotionally safe environment for all of you!
Old 07-28-2013, 08:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Engineer Things; LOVE People

Two weeks may be a bit quick.

Dunno how long is right.

Started a never-ending thread about that, myself.

133 days left for me.
Old 07-28-2013, 08:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

ForeverOptimist:
I cannot tell you what to do but I can tell you what I would do in your situation. Make one more attempt to talk to him and set a date or time period that he must stop drinking and attend a recovery program. Then you have done all you can. Either way it will still feel crappy about maybe having to end your marriage but make sure you tried one more time about this so your conscience will bother you less. It is a very hard decision and if you were able to walk away without feeling crappy I would think your heart did not care for him--it is because you care but you need to care about you more right now. Stay safe, my thoughts are with you.
Old 07-28-2013, 08:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Just hoping some of you can give me some encouragement that I am doing the right thing by ending my marriage. Because it doesn't feel that way right now.
I want to encourage you that you are doing the right thing by getting your children
away from an actively drinking alcoholic.
He thinks everything is fine now because that is what a drunk thinks.
Yesterday is over, and hey, I quit tobacco right?

No, the damage being done daily to your psyche and your childrens emotional health
is the best reason to end your marriage.

He is not making a choice over his family or alcohol. His power to choose is gone.
Unless and until he chooses recovery, recovery for alcoholism, he will remain the same.

You, however, can change how your children live their lives,
and I can tell you from personal experience,
growing up with an alcoholic parent changes a child.
It is not good.
Your children are learning from you and your husband how married people act,
how a marriage is, and how people (grown ups) treat each other.

Please, if you cannot be happy about leaving your husband,
be relieved about choosing a healthy life for your children.

Beth
Old 07-28-2013, 08:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

ForeverOptomist, you can't save him, but you can save yourself and the children. Think about it this way---why would you not save yourself or the children?

You have no control over the disease, so you are left to control those thing you do have control over.

Don't go on a guilt trip--it won't help the situation one bit.

It is understandable that you don't feel like clicking your heels at the moment. I haven't known any responsible person who takes these kinds of decisions lightly. You won't feel like this forever. You will, likely, feel a large burden lifted.

dandylion
Old 07-28-2013, 09:19 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

But he's acting like Mr. Positive. He keeps trying to flirt with me and tell me how much he loves me, etc. I want none of it. It's as if he made the minimal effort and now I should be happy.
I can totally identify with this. My exAH also used to remind me that he had SAID he was sorry. (So what could possibly be the problem??)
Old 07-28-2013, 03:28 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

The behaviour associated with the drinking still affects me too. It has made me depressed and heartbroken. Seems to be that they don't stick to promises....that's the nature of alcoholism. Its a difficult time for you and my thoughts are with you. It's hard to accept that there are some things you can't change even with love x
Old 07-29-2013, 08:14 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Brightstar,

You hit the nail on the head for me. Wow. It doesn't matter what I do, how hard I try, or how much love I pour out to him, nothing really makes a difference. It really just makes me so sad.

Forever,

My heart goes out to you. I'm sure you'll make the best decision for you and your children however difficult it may be.

Lauren