Alcoholic Brother Please Help!

Old 07-28-2013, 08:43 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by OnawaMiniya View Post
Well I'm no professional but I wonder if you would benefit from reading about what a "dry drunk" is. It's possible that, though your mother no longer drinks actively, that she had not really done the work to change her ways of thinking, patterns of thought that contributed to her drinking.

Personally, I find that the more I understand, the easier it is to deal with. Not EASY, just easier. It's hard because you can't force anyone else to get help - not your brother, not your parents. So remember to focus on you and keep yourself healthy.
Sorry, I somehow missed that you said she was manic depressive. Does she get help for this at all?
Old 07-28-2013, 11:33 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone for your thoughts and advice.
Old 07-28-2013, 01:06 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=DreamsofSerenity;4092526]I also have a similar situation with my brother, and have tried to deal with it similarly to Recovering 2.

My addict brother is severely enabled by my mother, and now lives in her basement. He has reduced a big portion of my mom's house to squalor, verbally and emotionally abuses her, and I fear has also begun to physically abuse her--she had a weird accident lately where she fell so strongly into a door that it broke.

Elder abuse is terrible...and there are laws in which he can be removed by authorities...

I hope you and your mother the best.
Old 07-28-2013, 03:25 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wiscsober View Post

Elder abuse is terrible...and there are laws in which he can be removed by authorities...

I hope you and your mother the best.
Thank you, Wiscober, but wouldn't my mother have to press charges? She lies constantly to protect my brother, even to me.

If there was something I could do to get him thrown out, I would do it in an instant. If anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear them.
Old 07-28-2013, 03:34 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
A work in progress

She is the one who would have to get a restraining order, but YOU could file charges, provided you have evidence of his actions sufficient to amount to "probable cause." Proving it without her cooperation might or might not be a problem, depending on the facts.

You might want to call the DV hotline or your State's agency that deals with elder issues. Either of them might have some suggestions.
Old 07-28-2013, 03:38 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LexieCat View Post
She is the one who would have to get a restraining order, but YOU could file charges, provided you have evidence of his actions sufficient to amount to "probable cause." Proving it without her cooperation might or might not be a problem, depending on the facts.

You might want to call the DV hotline or your State's agency that deals with elder issues. Either of them might have some suggestions.
Thanks, Lexie.. That's helpful.