I did it

Old 07-27-2013, 04:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I did it

Ok. I did it. I was nervous and extremely anxious and scared, but I forced myself to go in. Al anon The man who greeted me was great, he seemed friendly and nice. After the intro part and announcements we went to a beginners group. I am not sure how much I got from it, but I do know I'm going back for session two nest week. It was a relief to be in the company of people who seemed to understand, to not feel so alone.
Last night I went to drop off some donations for a huge fundraiser garage sale, it is for a friend of ours little girl who has cancer. Ah had a friend stop by and ask him to go to smoother friends of theirs at 8. So I left at 7 and said I'd be right back, I don't have a cell but ah has the number of the friend that I was at. When I got to our friends you couldn't see the lawn or driveway or backyard, there was two of them trying to sort a tonne of stuff, so I stayed to help. When I got home at 10 he went on and on and made me feel bad, this friend hung around waiting for me to come home, now he couldn't go, blah blah blah... After all the nights that he leaves, says I'll be gone for an hour and doesn't come home till 5 or 6 am.
I wasn't going to tell him where I was going today, but I did... He didn't say anything... I told him I can't control him, I can't fix him, so I am going to work on and save me. He tells me that he loves me no matter what happens.... I think he does... But loves/needs the beer more. I said to him last week you said you had 8 left and were going to dump them if that would help, then you didn't and drank them.... His response was you didn't tell me to dump them. So I told him I don't want to control him, he's an adult and can make his own choices. He doesn't seem to know what to do with me today, lol. I am usually smiling all the time but he has noticed I seem sad, lol sadness and anger has been the norm for so long, I'm just too tired right now to try to hide it.
Old 07-27-2013, 04:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

you are never alone here, It is hard to fix other people and you have to start with yourself, I have been on a pain pill prescription for a little over a year now, It seems like every month I come up short. I hate my life, I hate how things are going. I hate the pain that I have to deal with every day. Throat damage, I was strangled in an attempted robbery and my life just hasn't been the same again. I am going to try to quit these pills and try to figure something else out that will help me deal with my pain. If you want something done you have to do it I guess is my point.
Old 07-27-2013, 05:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I hope you can find some other way to help the pain. But yes I believe you are right, only you can change it, only you can make the choice. I am working on figuring out what my choices are and what my next move will be and of course enjoying the calm periods.
Old 07-27-2013, 05:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Originally Posted by Mold View Post
It is hard to fix other people
Wrong. It is IMPOSSIBLE to fix other people. They have to fix themselves, just as we do.

Mold, have you met with a victim advocate at your local prosecutor's office? They may be able to help you to get free or low-cost treatment for your injury and pain, and for the addiction you developed as a result of trying to cope with it.
Old 07-27-2013, 10:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm happy to hear you found the courage to walk in the door of that first meeting! That is the hardest step for all of us. But, as you realized, you are in the company of people who understand. Keep coming back...it works if you work it...and you're WORTH it!
Old 07-27-2013, 11:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Engineer Things; LOVE People

Originally Posted by Skymitchg View Post
. . . but I do know I'm going back for session two next week.
A+

That was the really important part of the first meeting.

Super.