Recovering: fed up with all kinds of people's crap now!

Old 08-01-2013, 05:51 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Absolutely! I have disconnected from two old friends because their treatment was either dismissive or disrespectful. One treated me like a second string friend anyway. This may sound odd, but I got rid of my hairstylist and my real estate agent. One was charging too much and the other was doing too little. All of these people had been in my life from 8 to 20 years. None of them really valued me the way I valued them. What's funny is that nobody has called. It's horribly obvious to me now that I was being dissed and taken for granted. Unfortunately, I'm still with the alkie boyfriend.
Old 08-03-2013, 07:31 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by rry1177 View Post
Absolutely! I have disconnected from two old friends because their treatment was either dismissive or disrespectful. One treated me like a second string friend anyway. This may sound odd, but I got rid of my hairstylist and my real estate agent. One was charging too much and the other was doing too little. All of these people had been in my life from 8 to 20 years. None of them really valued me the way I valued them. What's funny is that nobody has called. It's horribly obvious to me now that I was being dissed and taken for granted. Unfortunately, I'm still with the alkie boyfriend.
It's OK. We grow and learn. Yes, even after all these years I sometimes still cringe a bit with the shame of my own foolishness in having fallen for the lies of an alcoholic man. But, then I have to tell myself I did the right thing and move forward. ("Forward" is my operative word this year.) But now I feel pretty good when I recognize that I'm letting someone walk on me and make the decision to not be walked on.

I hope you figure out what to do with the alkie boyfriend, too!
Old 08-04-2013, 06:52 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

OMG YES!!!!! I could have written this post.
I've walked away from so many former friendships since being in full recovery. Just not actions and behaviors I can accept anymore.