affirmations and meditation books?

Old 07-24-2013, 09:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

affirmations and meditation books?

Hello SR!

What are some of your favorite affirmations, quotes, and meditation books? Uplifting songs? I'll share one of my favorite songs, although it is kinda corny

Natasha Bedingfield's Unwritten:

Natasha Bedingfield - Unwritten (US Version) - YouTube

I finished reading Melody Beattie's Beyond Codependency a few days ago and she discusses how we must actively "make space" for new, healthy lives through positive self-talk, prayer, and affirmation. I loved her "new rules for healthy living" so much that I typed it up, printed it, and stuck it on my refrigerator.

Each morning, I start my day by saying, "Thank you HP for creating this new and beautiful day. HP will guide me and help me with what I need and want today. I love myself, and I'll be there to take care of me. All I need today shall be provided." I am also getting my toddler in the habit of saying, "Thank you, Creator, for this beautiful day!"

After reading the book and trying these new affirmations and meditations, I have realized how often I would wake up with a feeling of dread, sadness, and loneliness---how angry I am about my ex's active alcoholism, about how easy it was for him to leave me and our son, a feeling of intense loneliness because I fear that I will not find a life partner and that I will be a single mother forever, etc. But I am now just realizing how and why an attitude of gratitude is so powerful. What did I learn about being in a relationship with an active A? My new boundary is to never be romantically involved with an active addict ever again. My ex leaving me and our son? I accept that it did not work out and I will continue to work on my own recovery. I also trust HP that my life partner is out there for me and it will happen when the time is right. Loneliness? I obtained full custody so I have the incredible blessing of falling asleep and waking up with my beautiful child everyday.

It's a very difficult process to break these old, unhealthy mindsets and attitudes, especially since I am also an adult child of an alcoholic---these scars are rooted very deeply for me. But through these daily affirmations, meditations, and prayers and actively working my recovery, I truly believe I can change my inner self, and therefore change the world for the better

Wishing peace and blessings to all!
Old 07-24-2013, 09:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Two more songs:

Des'ree, You Gotta Be

Des'ree - You Gotta Be - YouTube

and Erykah Badu, Bag Lady

Erykah Badu: Bag Lady - YouTube

"Bag lady, you goin' hurt your back
Draggin' all 'em bags like that,
I guess nobody ever told you,
All you must hold on to
Is you, is you, is you

One day all them bags goin' get in your way
So, pack light, pack light, pack light..."
Old 07-24-2013, 10:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

Oh I am working on this as well
Yes it's difficult but possible to feel better
Old 07-24-2013, 10:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Oh, there's LOTS of songs that I relate to for this, I know I've posted about it before. Nothing motivates me like Eminem's Recovery album - I listen to the entire thing from start to finish. Usually the version so that DD can listen too, lol. Alanis Morrisette is another one with many songs that I relate to in recovery.

I recently read something great about gratitude that changed the way I thought about it a bit. I like to start my day off with thoughts of gratitude but sometimes find that I'm listing the same things over & over & that I get kind of "stuck" in my views of what I'm grateful for.

The excerpt I read was about seeing beyond yourself & your life sometimes - i.e. not just being grateful for a happy, healthy DD (I am) but that even the alarm ringing off on time is an act that can inspire gratitude by being grateful to those that created the technology for it work properly & go off when you ask it to & that they shared that info with others and those that fabricated the plastic & metal into a working clock & those that worked through all the levels of retail to put that clock on the shelf for you to buy - all these acts happened so that you could wake on time & they all deserve gratitude in some tiny way.

It made me really think outside the box where my gratitude was concerned.
Old 07-24-2013, 10:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

One of my favorite affirmations is "I am enough just as I am".

Your friend,
Old 12-09-2018, 05:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Life is good

Bumping an old thread and listening to 'Unwritten' this morning.
Old 12-10-2018, 10:26 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I am in Biblical Counseling. My counselor (the most awesome woman in the world) gave me a book called "Jesus is Calling". I love it. It's a devotional written from God's perspective. An Al-Anon book that I just bought is called "Courage to Change". I don't like it as much, but I do find it helpful.