OT: Feeling very defeated

Old 07-22-2013, 02:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

OT: Feeling very defeated

A few years ago I was on the fast track of my career. Youngest VP at the company kind of thing. One day I got a bug in my ear to become a nurse. Left my career and started nursing school. I had 1 year left of school and, while working as a nurse assistant, hurt my back pretty severely and was't able to complete school. Here I am, a year and a half later working at the bottom rung again. I don't mind starting at the bottom mind you.

A few weeks ago I had an interview with a great company that would have put me back on track again. Interview went great, 2nd interview even better. They even asked me during the interview when I could start....all good signs right?

Well a week later and I called to see where they were at in their process and the guy just hangs up on me mid conversation. I called back, because my cell phone is cr*p and I thought it could have hung up on me. They didn't answer. This is after a conversation last week where they were supposed to confer with HR and call me back same day and didn't.

Guess I need a hammer to hit me on the head to get the jist that they changed their minds.

This has been a bit of a blow to my ego....heck the last 4 years has been a huge blow to my ego and self esteem on so very many levels.

Just needed to vent.

Old 07-22-2013, 02:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry that happened to you, Fedup. How disappointing. Are you positive your references are solid? You may want to double-check.

Every little darn thing is harder when you are also dealing with someone else's alcoholism. All I can say is hang in there, keep venting, and keep posting/reading. In the end, everything will be okay. And if it's okay, it's not the end.

Hang in there.
Old 07-22-2013, 02:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

They hadn't even checked references. At one point they told me they had a "clear to hire" meaning they were just waiting on the red tape to offically offer me the job. Then they decided they wanted to do a 2nd interview with the branch manager. That interview was where they asked me how soon I could start and if I had people in mind to bring in and build my team. Which I took as a clear indication they wanted to hire me. Thank goodness I had the presence of mind not to turn a resignation at the job I'm currently at. The only reason I'm looking is layoffs have been happening rapidly and I don't want to just end up jobless all of a sudden.

Thank you for your words Sparkle.
Old 07-22-2013, 02:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I've never heard of a reputable company where someone just hangs up on you in mid-conversation and then refuses to answer the phone.

It sounds to me as if they are having a problem with their phone system. I would call again.
Old 07-22-2013, 02:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I would call the HR department and ask to speak to an HR manager, to get some confirmation on what happened.
Old 07-22-2013, 02:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fedupbeyondall View Post
A few years ago I was on the fast track of my career. Youngest VP at the company kind of thing. One day I got a bug in my ear to become a nurse. Left my career and started nursing school. I had 1 year left of school and, while working as a nurse assistant, hurt my back pretty severely and was't able to complete school. Here I am, a year and a half later working at the bottom rung again. I don't mind starting at the bottom mind you.

A few weeks ago I had an interview with a great company that would have put me back on track again. Interview went great, 2nd interview even better. They even asked me during the interview when I could start....all good signs right?

Well a week later and I called to see where they were at in their process and the guy just hangs up on me mid conversation. I called back, because my cell phone is cr*p and I thought it could have hung up on me. They didn't answer. This is after a conversation last week where they were supposed to confer with HR and call me back same day and didn't.

Guess I need a hammer to hit me on the head to get the jist that they changed their minds.

This has been a bit of a blow to my ego....heck the last 4 years has been a huge blow to my ego and self esteem on so very many levels.

Just needed to vent.

Oh honey ! I'm with Lexie. Keep inquiring. That sounds too strange. The last place I worked, our phone system was a NIGHTMARE. Disconnecting all of the time.
It seems odd that they wouldn't just say something like,"sorry, the position had been filled." It seems much more likely that there is a technical issue. Really, the problems with our phone system were varied and constant. It was awful. Try again, ok?

Hugs!
Old 07-22-2013, 02:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

yeah, it sounds like wires really crossed somewhere.
You are not going to be a nurse then?
Your injury keeps you from nursing.
I am just curious, not need to answer if you don't want to.

world needs lots of nurses. caring, compassionate people.
(with a built in BS meter, could help!)

Beth

hurt my back pretty severely and was't able to complete school
Oh, I am very sorry. I know how a back problem could make a nursing career difficult,
but not out of the question.
Hmmm, I wonder why I am so into you becoming a nurse?
Something for me to think about for sure!

anyway, some of the storms around here have messed up calls I had to Social Security
and to my daughter's cell phone. I would try again too.
(If you still want it of course, )
Old 07-22-2013, 02:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

The phone issue I could understand, the "I will check with HR and call you back this afternoon" and not getting a call at all, that I cannot understand. I've been getting red flags popping up over this process anyways. So I guess I need to listen to them. The person I would be replacing left out of the blue after 5 years. That tells me things are not kosher there in the least. IDK part of me thinks it's just a misunderstanding, part of me thinks it's the universe trying to tell me it isn't the direction I need to go in.
Old 07-22-2013, 02:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wicked View Post
yeah, it sounds like wires really crossed somewhere.
You are not going to be a nurse then?
Your injury keeps you from nursing.
I am just curious, not need to answer if you don't want to.

world needs lots of nurses. caring, compassionate people.
(with a built in BS meter, could help!)

Beth

Oh, I am very sorry. I know how a back problem could make a nursing career difficult,
but not out of the question.
Hmmm, I wonder why I am so into you becoming a nurse?
Something for me to think about for sure!

anyway, some of the storms around here have messed up calls I had to Social Security
and to my daughter's cell phone. I would try again too.
(If you still want it of course, )
The back injury isn't preventing me from being a nurse it's preventing me from completing school. We have to do a certain number of hours practicing whatever we are learning in that particular semester. Because of the injury, I'm too much of a liability to allow to practice under the schools insurance. This is the case for all the schools in my city. Trust me I checked.
Old 07-22-2013, 02:58 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

IDK part of me thinks it's just a misunderstanding, part of me thinks it's the universe trying to tell me it isn't the direction I need to go in.
Left out of the blue after 5 years?
Yeah, my antenna would be up too.
I hope you find something soon, something just right for you.

Beth
Old 07-22-2013, 03:09 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I also feel like, if it was a phone issue, then why haven't they called me back several hours later? I immediately called right back, twice just to be sure. Just feel that if you know you're system has issues and drops calls, you would call someone if a conversation oddly cuts off mid sentence.
Old 07-22-2013, 03:10 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I hope you find something soon, something just right for you.

Beth
Thank you!
Old 07-22-2013, 03:14 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

The phone issue I could understand, the "I will check with HR and call you back this afternoon" and not getting a call at all, that I cannot understand. I've been getting red flags popping up over this process anyways. So I guess I need to listen to them. The person I would be replacing left out of the blue after 5 years. That tells me things are not kosher there in the least. IDK part of me thinks it's just a misunderstanding, part of me thinks it's the universe trying to tell me it isn't the direction I need to go in.
Yeah, I can definitely see how the part where they didn't get back to you when they said they would could raise a red flag, even with the possibility of the other issues being caused by technical problems with the phone system. Didn't necessarily mean they aren't interested, though. However, you mentioning that the person you'd be replacing left out of the blue after five years combined with them not getting back on time to you, yeah, that would make me question things as far as how they run everything, as well. I can definitely understand that.

Last job I had was the kind of job where if people didn't get a certain amount of work done per hour they were sent home for the day. Not as punishment, that's just how it worked. And while there were many great employees there, that kind of atmosphere tended to attract a lot of...how do I put it? A lot of people with issues worked there as it was a less reliable and steady job. People quit abruptly, even in management (and their work didn't have the same conditions since their job was totally different). The atmosphere there was always just...Well, miserable.

Don't feel defeated then. If you are adding up the pieces of information you have and your gut is telling you that it's not the direction for you, listen to it. And instead of feeling defeated, feel glad to have avoided the drama, and trust in life that something better is waiting for you instead. I always regret not listening to my gut/what I suspect the universe is trying to tell me.
Old 07-22-2013, 03:23 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

The back injury isn't preventing me from being a nurse it's preventing me from completing school.
Yep, my injury to my ankle in basic training did not keep me from being a soldier,
but it did keep me from the school that would move me up to a leadership position.
I could not complete the school that would continue my career past E4.

What do you want to do? Now that you cannot finish nursing school?
Maybe more school in administration? Maybe something all together new and different?

I felt so down when my job as an assistant to an attorney (typing long boring documents, real estate stuff) ended. He found a program that could do the job
better. I do not blame him.
I considered school as a paralegal or a court reporter, but went to school for
computer networking. I did not finish, but Wow! I loved going to school.
I could go on vocational rehab from the Army.
Are there funds available somewhere for you to change vocations, careers?
I understand how this time can suck, but try to look on the good side,
you are now open to your real work.
Just need to look for it, or maybe you know, and you just need to leap!

ever the optimist,

Beth
Old 07-22-2013, 03:25 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I also feel like, if it was a phone issue, then why haven't they called me back several hours later? I immediately called right back, twice just to be sure. Just feel that if you know you're system has issues and drops calls, you would call someone if a conversation oddly cuts off mid sentence.
I still stand by the post I just made about trusting your gut, but for what it's worth, our system would be down for hours sometimes. Like I said, though, the atmosphere of the place was just miserable...and it showed. The highest boss there was a miserable, arrogant, manipulative *bleep*. Really just a jerk on a power trip. I'm saying, the professionalism that should have been there was not. They wouldn't have called back in a timely manner just because of the lack of professionalism. Perhaps this job prospect is a similar unprofessional mess. The employees being treated so poorly, plus the conditions of being sent home created a total lack of morale. If that's the case for this job, there's definitely something better out there for someone like you. You deserve better than that.
Old 07-22-2013, 03:28 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by OnawaMiniya View Post
Yeah, I can definitely see how the part where they didn't get back to you when they said they would could raise a red flag, even with the possibility of the other issues being caused by technical problems with the phone system. Didn't necessarily mean they aren't interested, though. However, you mentioning that the person you'd be replacing left out of the blue after five years combined with them not getting back on time to you, yeah, that would make me question things as far as how they run everything, as well. I can definitely understand that.

Last job I had was the kind of job where if people didn't get a certain amount of work done per hour they were sent home for the day. Not as punishment, that's just how it worked. And while there were many great employees there, that kind of atmosphere tended to attract a lot of...how do I put it? A lot of people with issues worked there as it was a less reliable and steady job. People quit abruptly, even in management (and their work didn't have the same conditions since their job was totally different). The atmosphere there was always just...Well, miserable.

Don't feel defeated then. If you are adding up the pieces of information you have and your gut is telling you that it's not the direction for you, listen to it. And instead of feeling defeated, feel glad to have avoided the drama, and trust in life that something better is waiting for you instead. I always regret not listening to my gut/what I suspect the universe is trying to tell me.
That sounds like an environment that is beyond miserable. Sorry you had to work there. Ugh. That would drive me nuts.
Old 07-22-2013, 03:33 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Yep, my injury to my ankle in basic training did not keep me from being a soldier,
but it did keep me from the school that would move me up to a leadership position.
I could not complete the school that would continue my career past E4.

What do you want to do? Now that you cannot finish nursing school?
Maybe more school in administration? Maybe something all together new and different?

I felt so down when my job as an assistant to an attorney (typing long boring documents, real estate stuff) ended. He found a program that could do the job
better. I do not blame him.
I considered school as a paralegal or a court reporter, but went to school for
computer networking. I did not finish, but Wow! I loved going to school.
I could go on vocational rehab from the Army.
Are there funds available somewhere for you to change vocations, careers?
I understand how this time can suck, but try to look on the good side,
you are now open to your real work.
Just need to look for it, or maybe you know, and you just need to leap!

ever the optimist,

Beth
I wish I knew what that was. As far as funds go, nursing school was it. It was such an expensive process, I will be paying that back for the rest of my natural days. Quite honestly, I'm in no mood to head back to school, yet again. I just need to do some soul searching for now to figure out what I want to do. Hope I figure it out before I get laid off, well hopefully that won't happen.