Going to my first Al-anon meeting tonight

Old 07-22-2013, 11:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Going to my first Al-anon meeting tonight

I'm a little (OK, very) nervous. I have social anxiety, panic disorder, etc....stuff like this just makes me so uncomfortable, especially the first time. But I am taking the advice that I received here and I'm going to check out a meeting. It sounds like it will help me. I've got to do something. Wish me luck!
Old 07-22-2013, 11:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A work in progress

You don't need luck. Seriously. You are gonna be just FINE. Meetings are very low-pressure settings. If they go around the room, or if you are asked if you'd like to share, you can share if you want to or just say, "I'm just listening today." Nobody will be offended or upset. I do hope you will stick around for a few minutes afterward and chat with people on a one-to-one basis.

Can't wait to hear how you loved it (because I'm pretty positive you will).
Old 07-22-2013, 11:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes, please let us know how things went--I have always found meetings to be filled with such supportive, understanding, welcoming folks. I think you'll find it very worthwhile to overcome your worries and fears and get to the meeting!

Wishing you a wonderful experience!
Old 07-22-2013, 11:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You'll be fine!!! And don't worry about anyone pressuring you in any way -- I have yet to go to a meeting where people weren't completely and utterly happy to talk about themselves at length! So don't worry about awkward silences if you don't, there are always others who will happily fill the time!
Old 07-22-2013, 11:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Engineer Things; LOVE People

So did they make you sign up for the 18 month gym membership, too? Or were they doing the Timeshare Condos, this week?

Pretty good folks, huh?

I tend to like my Alanoners pretty well. Almost makes up for having to be there.
Old 07-22-2013, 12:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

The frist meeting I went to, I sat in my car and watched everyone else walk in. Then I drove home. I was upset with myself once I got home. So the next time, I made myself go in. Scary? YES! But I sat quietly during the meeting, cried for a good part of it. I was SOOO happy I went. I knew I was in the right place. I found people who "got" every crazy thing I had been through and done. I found hope.
You're going to do just fine.