Therapist put AH on meds with no diagnosis??????

Old 07-15-2013, 03:10 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Very familiar with this scenario, right down to the Topomax. My ABF is a "dual diagnosis" case - alcoholism and atypical migraines. Only one doc ever said his other depression and anxiety meds could be making things worse since he's ACTIVELY DRINKING, and of course ABF dropped that doc like a hot potato.
Old 07-15-2013, 03:33 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
My emotional baggage

I always try to give this advice to people that need to take Topomax.

I know a number of people who take it for migraines with no problems but I was prescibed it about two years ago for a medical condition I developed and I strongly feel it almost gave me a psychotic break. I only took it for about three months. Apparently it can do this to a very small percentage of people. I was not able to sleep and was so wound up in my head I was coming out of my skin. The answer when I told my neurologist was, "Keep taking them." "Here take these anti-anxiety drugs. Can't sleep, take these sleeping pills." So I've had a similar cocktail prescibed to me.

I was starting to have suicidal thoughts, I looked in my medicine cabinet one day and said no more. Got off it and was back to normal in about a week. One of the scariest times in my life. Excercise and diet change made a much better change in my life.

Just FYI, it is normally a neurologist who should prescribe this drug. And he should be going slower than that to build up to what they eventually want him to take. It took me a month to get to the dosage they wanted me on.

The other issue is, if he really needs the anti depressants and the xanax, drinking is just going to negate the effect of them. Oh he will feel "an" effect on them but just not the right effect. It will most likely make him more depressed.

Can be a dangerous combination....really watch him and make sure he talks to his doctor if his moods start changing.

4MyBoys
Old 07-15-2013, 09:44 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Xanax mixed with alcohol can be fatal. This is a lot of medicine, especially when mixed with booze. My son has anxiety disorder and depression and was prescribed one antidepressant to take. Benzos like xanax are highly addictive, especially at the dosage prescribed to your husband. I'll pretty much bet that he didn't tell his Dr. about the amount of drinking he's doing. No Dr. in his right mind would prescribe that to an alcoholic or heavy drinker.
Old 07-15-2013, 10:49 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Made a comment to him about it and he just said, "they are fine, I wouldn't put them in jeopardy. If I don't feel right then I will call you".
Sure, myfreedom, every alcoholic I have ever known who took xanax at the same time (as their usual state of inebriation) was at the top of their game, yep, I am sure the doc knows about every bottle your husband drinks.
I never told my psych doctors the truth while I was drinking. I was hoping to get some
xanax. Never worked for me though.

Addicts lie. They lie to their doctors, they lie about what the doctor said, lie about what they lied about to the doctor and then come home with some xanax.
A very dangerous, as in lethal combination, xanax and alcohol.

I hope you are taking care of yourself and your kids.
does he have drug tests? for visitation?

Beth
Old 07-16-2013, 05:08 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wicked View Post
Sure, myfreedom, every alcoholic I have ever known who took xanax at the same time (as their usual state of inebriation) was at the top of their game, yep, I am sure the doc knows about every bottle your husband drinks.
I never told my psych doctors the truth while I was drinking. I was hoping to get some
xanax. Never worked for me though.

Addicts lie. They lie to their doctors, they lie about what the doctor said, lie about what they lied about to the doctor and then come home with some xanax.
A very dangerous, as in lethal combination, xanax and alcohol.

I hope you are taking care of yourself and your kids.
does he have drug tests? for visitation?

Beth
No he doesn't have drug tests for visitation. There is a PFA in place right now that gave me temp custody of kids. We do not have a custody order at this time.