Coffee?

Old 07-15-2013, 07:09 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Excellent question. STBXAH smokes heavily and always has done and drinks loads of coffee. So much coffee in fact that he has recently had his heart go into tachycardia!

I saw a documentary on addiction some years ago and according to that smoking cigarettes is the 'gateway' drug. In other words many many people first smoke cigarettes and enjoy it, the part of the brain - pleasure centre gets stimulated and these leads them to other substances - be it alcohol or other drugs. Fact - don't shoot the messenger
Old 07-15-2013, 08:59 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

My DS was in two 30 day programs that both had a no smoking policy. In their admissions paperwork they cited recent studies, IIRC, that stated that by stopping all addictive behaviors a person had a better chance of success. They didn't allow caffeine either.

That said- I'm not sure how successful the policy was. In both instances, the smoking issue became THE ENTIRE OF FOCUS of every addict there, lol. And, that was pretty much everyone of them.
Old 07-15-2013, 10:09 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Engineer Things; LOVE People

Picture of our kitchen counter.

No joke.

Turns out that when one drinks ENOUGH Decaf, you get the equivalent caffeine of a cup of real coffee.

Mrs. Hammer was banned from Regular Coffee as part of Eating Disorder rehab, so she has been drinking POTS (yes, entire POTS -- 3 or 4 a day) of Decaf to get the buzz. Sugar and sweetener were also banned, so we have been going through "Creamer" by the keg-full, as well.

And it is the cheap Walmart crap . . . ah, junkies!
Old 07-15-2013, 10:10 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Don't dis my coffee!
I don't even talk to people in the morning without it.
Love espresso or a good latte. Several coffee makers here!
Old 07-15-2013, 11:48 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

RAH doesn't (& never did ) drink coffee, but his sweet tooth is still unusually high for him. (although it tends to come & go)

RAF drank POTS of coffee every day after getting sober. He was a coffee drinker before, but it was out of control after he quit drinking/drugging.

Neither of them has had any real success quitting smoking. RAF never really tried & RAH has quit a thousand times but can't stay quit. His most successful attempt was with hypnosis; he quit for a full year & then started back because he figured he could just smoke a couple & be ok.

On the flip side, I was also hypnotized to quit smoking & just celebrated 7 years cigarette-free in January.