Is spiritual change necessary for recovery?

Old 07-12-2013, 02:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Is spiritual change necessary for recovery?

One fun filled holiday we ended up in the ER. Long messed up story but my AH had BAC of .48 and was a raving lunatic. He insisted his GF be at the hospital. Unfortunately I couldn't just leave because he was not competent to sign the insurance/consent forms. So they actually had security in the waiting room to keep the GF away and ended up having to put 6 security guards outside his door.

So to get to the point one of the ER social workers was wonderful and spent a lot of time talking with me probably due to the circus atmosphere we created in the ER. Something she said has stuck with me. She is a RA and she said don't expect recovery until you see a spiritual change. My AH was never religious or spiritual in the least bit and he complains about the religious aspects of AA. Anyone have experience or thoughts regarding spituality and recovery? I know in my own recovery my thinking has shifted.
Old 07-12-2013, 02:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Catherine628 View Post
One fun filled holiday we ended up in the ER. Long messed up story but my AH had BAC of .48 and was a raving lunatic. He insisted his GF be at the hospital. Unfortunately I couldn't just leave because he was not competent to sign the insurance/consent forms. So they actually had security in the waiting room to keep the GF away and ended up having to put 6 security guards outside his door.

So to get to the point one of the ER social workers was wonderful and spent a lot of time talking with me probably due to the circus atmosphere we created in the ER. Something she said has stuck with me. She is a RA and she said don't expect recovery until you see a spiritual change. My AH was never religious or spiritual in the least bit and he complains about the religious aspects of AA. Anyone have experience or thoughts regarding spituality and recovery? I know in my own recovery my thinking has shifted.
My husband is not remotely spiritual and is doing well anyway. We are both atheist.
Old 07-12-2013, 02:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

There are many ways to recover. She might have meant a psychic change (such as his outlook on life, taking responsibility etc.).
I was a spiritual person before recovery and I work the steps but AA is not for everyone, there are other methods.
Some are secular such as AVRT (rational recovery), smart, lifering etc. and people seems to recover using them too. I work an hybrid program (AA, AVRT and Women For Sobriety)
The key to success is wanting sobriety, being honest with oneself about our drinking, having a plan/method, sticking to it and working it and not drinking no matter what.
Methods and programs are just tools to help achieve and maintain sobriety.

PS: I am glad you are taking care of yourself
Old 07-12-2013, 02:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A work in progress

If you read AA's Big Book, there is an appendix in the back that explains what is meant by a "spiritual awakening": it is defined as "a change in personality sufficient to recover from alcoholism". Although AA talks about "God," it explains "God" as being a higher power that can bring about this change. I know many atheists and agnostics who recover just fine in AA. They think of their "higher power" as the power of the universe--the essential order of things. A lot of recovery involves simply getting out of your own way--not trying to control the universe: other people and situations that are out of our control. It involves doing the work and then letting go of the outcome.

So it is perfectly possible to recover spiritually without believing in a deity. The 12 Steps help make that happen, by allowing you to stop being your own worst enemy and becoming someone with something to contribute to other people and to the world in general. And, amazingly, that seems to be a very, very effective way to stop NEEDING to drink.
Old 07-12-2013, 02:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

GIRLFRIEND????

spirituality has nothing to do with religion. the spiritual change has to do with HOW we choose to feed our spirit and with WHAT. spirit is the connective tissue between our body and our mind...the gas in the gastank. what we put IN the tank determines how far and how fast we will go or if we will go at all.

i think most addicts/alcoholics have to come to SOME type of conclusion about how they HAVE been living their lives and how its time to CHANGE that on some fundamental level in order to live life without the use of drugs or alcohol to stunt and "enhance" the experience.