I can't seem to get away from the drunks...

Old 07-07-2013, 07:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I can't seem to get away from the drunks...

Early Thursday morning I took a 5 hour car ride to vacation for the weekend. While driving down the highway I noticed a car who's gas cap was off (hanging down the side of the car). Trying to be a good guy, I pulled up next to the guy and tried to get his attention (probably not the wisest thing at 60 mph, but was trying to help). The guy was comatose, head bobbing back, wouldn't look left. I was beeping, had my window down, etc. He was either drunk or on drugs- it was about 8:30 am.

I let it go, and drove passed him. Then in my rear view mirror I watched him basically weaving from one lane to another. Sometimes across two lanes, sometimes three. This went on for about 10 miles, but once he almost took out two cars I called 911. Ironically I passed two highway patrol. 911 had me stay on until the cruisers were behind him, verified that the cruisers had him in sight and then we hung up. Then the cruisers sped off, got off at the next exit never to be seen again. Great job Florida law enforcement. Call me for another donation.

The weaving continued for another 15 miles. On more than one occasion he actually was completely off the highway with a tire in the grass. And this is I-75 (a major highway). I finally called 911 again, and they were trying to figure out which jurisdiction he was in, and who could do the pickup, blah blah blah. He finally took an exit, and who knows what happened next.

Watching it made my heart race. I was expecting to see him wreck- it was that bad. I kept having visions of my EXAG, and how she must have looked while driving drunk. It really pissed me off.

I hope everyone had a nice weekend! I did!
Old 07-08-2013, 05:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Unbelievable that the police drove past him. So disappointing. You did the right thing. I've called 911 several times for drunk drivers.
Old 07-08-2013, 05:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A work in progress

If they were behind him, and then suddenly took off, they most likely had a radio call that took priority. As important as it is to get drunk drivers off the road, there are some critical incidents that demand immediate response.