My husband was in a motorcycle accident - Part 1

Old 07-08-2013, 03:38 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

We don't rent. We have a mortgage and it will be the first thing paid every month. I don't care if I have to warm a hotdog up under candle light!
Old 07-08-2013, 03:45 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

I'm having trouble copying and pasting a link. I did a google search for "financial assistance PA" and one site that came up was called "Here to Help - Commonwealth of Pennsylvania". It had a page with links to info for "family services" and "housing resources". There was a part under "housing resources" that said "find out about programs to help with utilities". Under "family services" are things like "feed your family" and "adult health care coverage".

Another search results was benefits.gov

Good luck.
Old 07-08-2013, 04:24 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I don't see why his normal major medical insurance or HMO or whatever doesn't cover it. I'm assuming that the motorcycle insurance is simply a liability policy. If I am in a car accident, my car insurance doesn't cover my medical bills, my regular health insurance does.

Did I miss something? You talked about the motorcycle insurance, and AFLAK, and the $100/day deal that his union covers (presumably some kind of supplemental disability policy?).
Old 07-08-2013, 05:05 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

My brother told me that the motorcycle insurance would be the first to cover any medical bills and when that was exhausted, then and only then would the state issued medical coverage kick in.

The AFLAK is null and void because he was drinking. The Union Benefits are null n void because it was a vehicular accident and it's not covered. That leaves me with his state issued medical benefits covering his medical which should cover everything hospital related.

The AFLAK was suppose to be there to get me out of the financial pitfall he just threw us in and the $100 a week I was counting on from the Union I could have used to pay the mortgage. One by one I've watched it all POOF away... up in smoke.

AND now, his son tells me that he's signing himself out. I told him to put him on the phone. I begged of him to PLEASE NO DO THIS AS I CAN NOT TAKE ANOTHER HIT!!! If you sign yourself out your medical will not cover ANYTHING! I can not afford a $250k medical bill because YOU want to come home!

OMFG!!! My heart is just ready to explode over everything! He said if the dr says he has to stay, he will stay. I just can't take this sh!t of living on the edge. I feel like I'm about to lose it! He's got me so worked up I could just go insane right now! I've had it up to my eyeballs. He said his stupid days are over and he won't do anything dumb like signing himself out!
Old 07-08-2013, 05:42 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  
A work in progress

OK, so now that the motorcycle insurance doesn't cover anything, the State medical insurance will. I'm almost a hundred percent sure. It's just an issue of which is primary--if they both covered it the motorcycle insurance would have to be exhausted first.

The mortgage and other bills are clearly an issue, but as soon as you can, notify your mortgage company, and any other creditors, that your husband has been seriously injured in a bad accident and that you will need to work with them on the payments temporarily. Trust me, it is best to give them a heads-up and let them know before they start billing you for late fees, etc. That could still happen, but they might be able to reduce the payments temporarily.

And last, but by no means least, as frustrating and maddening and worrisome as this all is, keep BREATHING. You will come through this OK in the end. Unless you give yourself a heart attack in the meantime.

Hugs,
Old 07-08-2013, 06:34 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

It seems odd that AFLAK would deny because of a alcohol level. Alcohol is legal and the majority of people in society use it in a responsible manner.
Old 07-08-2013, 06:55 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

You can't be serious Justfor1! Really?

He was 2 times over the legal limit of .08 in the state of Pennsylvania with a BAL of .197!!! If he'd of went out and had a beer and wrecked with a .06... I'm sure AFLAK would have paid!

Good grief.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:00 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Responsible people don't drink 24pints of vodka in 12 days! He is an alcoholic.

Yes, it was an accident but it was preventable if only he had pulled his head out of his ass instead of drinking his life away because he did this to himself and me. He had a choice to stop the madness and he chose to drink a UNGODLY amounts of vodka and ride a motorcycle to hell.

AFLAK has no business covering accidents which are caused by idiots who intentionally intoxicate themselves and get hurt. This was preventable and that is just the way AFLAK sees such stupidity.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:27 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

I just think that you can make the argument that he was not arrested, therefore, not drunk. I thought they use police reports for the denials. There are no police reports. Im just trying to help and think "outside the box". I'm sure the financial damage will be large. And I agree 24 pints of vodka is way too much and indicates he is a serious alcoholic.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:32 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

AFLAK goes off of medical records, not police reports. His BAL is in his medical records.

If he was pulled over n charged with DUI n went to jail, I could not use AFLAK. It's for accidents n illnesses, not being a jackwagon.
Old 07-09-2013, 03:46 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

No suggestions, just hope you have a better day, back on solid ground and away from the edge. And some decent sleep with no early am phone calls.
Lexie and Lenina have a lot of good suggestions and experience, the insurance will work through all the snarled mess..
My health insurance did not want to pay for my last inpt. Bill....but they did finally....the hospital sent me notice of this every week just to be helpful..."this is not a bill" but your insurance does not want to pay the tab either...58k...finally they settled it between them.
I hope jim has his surgery soon, he is probably on their schedule already...then a good rehab. It's hard to believe its been a week since the accident.
Old 07-09-2013, 04:20 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

A week tomorrow. It doesn't even feel real. Today is our wedding anniversary.
Old 07-09-2013, 05:01 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Dear BoxinRotz, I know how hard this is for you. Just a terrible shock that you never expected, and it has disrupted your world, and, your sense of security has been turned upside down. Not to awfulize it too much--but I believe it has the same intensity of impact that a sudden death in the family has. You will actually go through the steps of a grief reaction, I expect.

Please try to get through the day as best you can by putting one foot in front of the other. I imagine that it is so hard being with Jim, because you are literally seething with anger at someone who is in a hospital bed!! Just try to remember that it does no good to beat the horse once it is already down. Your boundrys are going to need a revolutionary moving around, though!

I wish you as peaceful day as possible.

dandylion
Old 07-09-2013, 05:36 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

You really hit it Dandylion. 3 days after this happened, I was over the shock and pure terror and then the anger of realizing that the weight of this house, his recovery, getting another job had set in, not to mention seeing all of the benefits he has paid for to protect us in these situations (in the name of an accident) has virtually disappeared.

I am angry. I was a total snark with him 2 days ago, all day long as I could not bring myself to be *GRATEFUL*. I did not yell but the severity of my tone was present. My new line has been: Oh God, just get me through today. I say it a 1,000 times a day. I've already said it 5 times today.

I feel so helpless. I am incredibly hurt and every time he says, I'm going to take care of you and this, I silently scoff because I am now our soul provider.

I told him today that between him and my ex husband, you two have taken everything away from me. Happy Anniversary TURD!
Old 07-09-2013, 07:19 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

I am so sorry you are going through this. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

I would suggest that you contact all the bill companies (mortgage, electric, gas, credit cards, etc). and explain that there has been an accident and that you are calling to see what they can do for you to help defer payments/bills. They don't need the "details" unless they have to have them to provide the assistance. They may say they cannot help, but it is worth a shot. Better to be proactive than reactive.

Have you spoke with his dr about your issue with Aflac? Can he provide a document to Aflac that does not contain (omits) the BAC? Don't ask him to do anything illegal, just explain this issue and your concerns and see what he says.

Happy Anniversary (not being sarcastic at all) - you deserve a bouquet of flowers and a truck load of understanding today (even if he doesn't - lol).
Old 07-09-2013, 07:27 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

BoxinRoz,

I am so sorry about this. I can not even imagine how you must feel. When my kids do something stupid necessitating an ER trip ("I told you not to try to cut carboard with a butcher knife"), I scream the whole way to the hospital. This is that times a million. It seems so unfair that you have to pick up the pieces after someone else's massive eff up.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:29 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Well, after hearing how sorry he is yet again, I told him flat out...

I don't need you to survive because you are not here.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:38 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Box, I couldn't stop thinking about what you are going through all last night.... I've been sending you lots of prayers & strength. I know you are knocked sideways by all of this and yet you still seem to be IN CONTROL and I admire the hell outta you for that. I'm not sure how I would handle something like this, at all.

I was going to wish you a Happy Anniversary, but I think I'll say, "Happy Independence" instead.... because I have a feeling that no matter what, things are going to be different for you going forward.

Old 07-09-2013, 08:58 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

There's no where else to go but up. This is MY bottom. Whether it's his, remains to be seen.

I now own 2 jobs.
Old 07-09-2013, 09:01 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

More prayers from me today. I'm reading and following but feel like I don't have much to offer other than my ear (eyes!).