My husband was in a motorcycle accident - Part 1

Old 08-17-2013, 03:21 PM
  # 441 (permalink)  

He was in the Army for 3 years. That's all I know.
Old 08-17-2013, 04:59 PM
  # 442 (permalink)  

For Social Security Disability benefits, ask the doctor if they think that he would be considered totally disabled for a year or longer, based on his brain injury without alcoholism involved.

Now totally disabled does not mean bed ridden. It means not being able to engage in substantial gainful work activity. It means not being able to return to his former job, or being trained to do another job.

Ps Army for three years, was it wartime, whether he was overseas or not. It still has an income level to be eligible for benefits. I didn't get this years income level, last years was a little over $16,000 for self and spouse.

Also still check out with the VA regarding medical benefits. They classify things into like 8 or 9 categories. Better to be safe and check, then to be sorry you didn't
Old 08-17-2013, 05:57 PM
  # 443 (permalink)  
Skipper

As a followup to what Mike said, I would definitely see about having him put in transitional care, like a rehab, or Level A, B facility to help with those things you can't be home to do, and then home health care for a period after that.
Old 08-17-2013, 06:08 PM
  # 444 (permalink)  

I was just thinking... if he doesn't stop, I will pick out his new home. There is no way in hell I can work n take care of him. His son has abandoned ship.

His short term memory is ****.
Old 08-17-2013, 06:32 PM
  # 445 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Rotz, under the current circumstances I just can't see him stopping drinking. Sorry to say this.....but, I just don't. Do you?

dandylion
Old 08-17-2013, 06:46 PM
  # 446 (permalink)  

No I don't.
Old 08-17-2013, 07:06 PM
  # 447 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Yes, I agree. Perhaps you should proceed with your strategies and planning as if he isn't. Better to be prepared for the worst-case scenario. I leaves less room for more disappointment. If things go better than you plan for---well, then, no harm done.

What a tough time you are going through. You are going to live through this, somehow.

dandylion
Old 08-17-2013, 07:51 PM
  # 448 (permalink)  

Rotz, I just want to jump in and let you know I'm thinking of you. Whatever happens, you will persevere. I feel that.
Old 08-18-2013, 05:58 AM
  # 449 (permalink)  

If he signed a piece of paper saying he would go into rehab on 8/21/13 can I put him there? Can I show the Dr n have them do it? Because he signed it.
Old 08-18-2013, 06:02 AM
  # 450 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BoxinRotz View Post
If he signed a piece of paper saying he would go into rehab on 8/21/13 can I put him there? Can I show the Dr n have them do it? Because he signed it.
if you can get the doctor behind you
he may put him away for a while
usually
one has to be a threat to himself and or others
for the doctors to step in

Mountainman
Old 08-18-2013, 06:18 AM
  # 451 (permalink)  

Did he sign over to you medical POA? to make all decisions regarding his care?
i agree you will need a written statement from doctor, because if he is mentally impaired, he can't be held accountable for signing anything? idk?
i had this granted to me by my mother before she became ill. she signed everything over to me and my brother, basically we made her what they call here, medically indigent so the state could not take her assets for medical care...she then went on medicaid.
Old 08-18-2013, 06:32 AM
  # 452 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Yeah, see, that's the tricky part. If he was competent to sign the paper, then you'd have to prove that he's now INCOMPETENT to make the decision not to go to rehab. You kinda can't have it both ways. Unless his mental state has deteriorated so severely between the time he signed the paper and now, that's gonna be tough. A power of attorney doesn't give you the right to make medical decisions as long as he's competent to make them for himself. And the bar for "competency" isn't that high.
Old 08-18-2013, 06:48 AM
  # 453 (permalink)  

Then, Lexie, wouldn't that mean that if the doctor did declare him incompetent, the paper he signed about going to rehab would be irrelevant, because BoxinRotz would have the power to make any and all medical decisions for him.

ShootingStar1
Old 08-18-2013, 07:00 AM
  # 454 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Anything signed while incompetent would be irrelevant--the paper agreeing to go to rehab and the POA itself wouldn't be valid if he were incompetent when he signed them. Consent for medical treatment can be withdrawn any time.

Rotz, I think with all this stuff going on, you need a good attorney advising you. There are lots of ins and outs here with benefits, treatment decisions, property stuff, insurance stuff--any number of ways you could accidentally shoot yourself in the foot. Everything is sort of tied together, so you really need someone who can look at ALL the moving parts and advise you correctly.
Old 08-18-2013, 03:19 PM
  # 455 (permalink)  

This is part 1 of the thread "My husband was in a motorcycle accident". Please make all posts to part 2.

You can find part 2 here:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-part-2-a.html

Mike
Moderator, SR