Please help! What is the proper response?

Old 06-25-2013, 12:13 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

You did the right thing. And yes, it's escalation and common. I've lost count of the times AXH has announced he's going to kill himself. It's gotten to the point where I'm tempted to text back "please do it in the garage so cleanup is easy" because it's always just manipulation.

And yet, every time, I call 911. And every time, he's furious because I "sicced the cops" on him. And yet, he does it again.
Old 06-25-2013, 12:15 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

[B][

Take his suicide threats seriously,call 911 but don,t go to him.

Protect yourself and your five year old.

The more 911 gets called for these situations the nuttier he,s going to look so he,ll have consequences but not the ones he wants.

And save his suicide messages for the professionals.

And yes it is an escalation in tactics.

/B]
Originally Posted by Brokentapestry View Post
So, I get to work this morning, and the AH (STBX, but he doesn't know that yet) left me a message that he took all of the pills that he could find because he wants to end his life. Then, he remembered that we have a 5yo daughter and that it would be selfish to kill himself, and so he called me for help. I found out the best that I could what he had taken, told him to unlock the door, and called 911. I'm not going over to see him. I'm still going to meet the lawer today.

I guess first I need some major hugs to try and get through today. I may need to end my marriage to protect myself and our daughter, but that doesn't mean that I want the AH to kill himself. So, I'm upset.

The other thing I need to know, is this just an escalation in tactics? I went no contact, and am trying to let him have his consequences. But, what am I supposed to do when someone calls and says that they are going to kill themselves? Delete the message and let him die if he is going to die?

Am I still swooping in to rescue? I'm so confused and am crying at my desk.
Old 06-25-2013, 12:19 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Also - mention this to your divorce lawyer. In my state, threatening suicide qualifies as domestic violence.
Old 06-25-2013, 12:23 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

FYI

I used to have this boyfriend ,he tries to commit suicide on a regular basis for manipulation tactics.

His family are ruled by this individual and his crap. He does it,they run tohis side and are there when he wakes up. All the issues of disagreement of what originally brought on this nonsense have been deflected and they are back holding his hand,dancing to his tune.

Not a life ffor you and your daughter.