I WILL be okay

Old 06-20-2013, 07:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Journey To Me

I WILL be okay

Oh my gosh. I have missed so much on these boards. It has been crazy here at MT’s house these past three weeks or so.

My AH went to minor emergency June 5th complaining of chest pains that came upon doing minor excursion. He thought it was a lung issue, but when they did an EKG it came back abnormal. They rushed him to the hospital via ambulance for an overnight stay and more testing. A lab test showed that he had an enzyme in his blood indicating a heart attack took place or some sort of heart damage occurred. It snowballed from there. They did an angiogram and found four arteries severely blocked. He wasn’t leaving the hospital any time soon. The bad news was that they couldn’t put stents in to correct the issue, because his arteries were too small. This left the only option coronary bypass surgery. Here my husband at thirty-one years old was facing a major open-heart surgery, and he was scared out of his mind.

At that moment, I forgot all the pain I felt from his actions while he drank. I forgot all the hurtful words he spewed out at me throughout the years. I saw the man I fell in love with once many years ago frightened to tears, and I held his hand. I comforted him, and I assured him that he wouldn’t go through this alone. I was there with him throughout the entire ordeal. The surgeon did a double bypass, which also corrected a third clogged artery, but was unable to fix the fourth artery due to the extent of the damage. He said he can make a full recovery despite that artery, because it is not a main and the body with work around it.

I am proud of myself, however. Despite dedicating many hours to him and his comfort, I made sure to take care of myself too. I found time to meditate, and work my recovery. I told others “no” when they asked more of me, and I asked for help when I felt I needed to. I even took breaks when I felt I should.

The doctors say he could have collapsed and died that day if he had chosen to continue to play basketball on the court instead of going in to minor emergency. It is my husband’s choice as to how he wants to see this experience. He can take it as a “second chance,” or he can dismiss it as just something that happened that meant nothing. Only he has the control on this. When he got out of the hospital, though, he took his pack of cigarettes, broke them all in half, and threw them away. He told me that the experience scared him horribly and he never wants to go through that again. He also told me he will never smoke or drink again. Only time will tell. I have a feeling, however, that no matter what I will be okay.
Old 06-20-2013, 07:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Only time will tell. I have a feeling, however, that no matter what I will be okay.

Yes, I have a feeling you will be okay too.

I am happy your husband threw away the smokes and says he won't drink, but, as you said, time will tell.

You are doing great.

Beth
Old 06-20-2013, 09:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That IS an ordeal. I am glad he is okay and has decided to clean up his act. Hopefully it will last. Please keep working on YOU!

Hugs