he left me and 3 kids and has cut me out of his life

Old 01-09-2014, 06:04 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Hi Alfiepug.

I think what you are experiencing is totally normal. The anger , the dreams, the sadness. You are grieving. He seems happy, which hurts you even more.

He may have found someone who drinks too. The newness hasnt worn off. The abuse may not have started yet. but it will. its easy to be happy when you dont know the ugly truth yet.

I hope that you know that he is still who he was, only not showing his true personality yet. but he will.

try to see it for what it is, even while you hurt, remember you are grieving a dream of what you wanted it to be, not the reality. if he wasn't your friend, then he is nothing.

perhaps someday he might find recovery and be a better father for his kids. until then, you are your childrens only support system and they need you to be strong for them. they are probably going through some things of their own. It would help them to see their momma strong, and happy, and make them feel safe-that you are not going to fold up and disappear on them, mentally , you know?

give it a good cry, when you have to, but then, dust yourself off, and look toward your future, your kids future. your good years are ahead, wonderful times now, with your kids, and life is precious. dont let a person who has thrown all of that away steal your joy, or theirs.

you will get through this, and you will be happy. it works out that way. I have been there, and I promise, the pain gets less and less with time.
Old 01-09-2014, 06:06 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

I'm sorry, alfieplug. Have you bought any Al-Anon literature to read? I've been reading The Courage to Change and Opening our Hearts, Transforming our Losses (a book on grief.) The one on grief might be helpful to you? My AH & I are separating after 25 years together. This book is helping me work through my grief. I just try to read a little each night and work through a couple of the questions. I write the answers down in a notebook. I also journal a bit, and copy relevant scripture in the notebook. Periodically, I'll go back and read what I've written. Sometimes I'll add additional thoughts in the margins. It's helping.
Old 01-09-2014, 06:37 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Alfie, I believe you are going through the normal stages of grief. Give yourself a break, I personally think you are doing great. You are doing things to move forward with your life. You are bettering yourself. He on the other hand is still the abusive jerk he always was. Causing a scene in front of childminder and making children cry. What an a$$. See him for what he is, not the idea of what you wanted him to be. If you do so you will see he has done you a favor. I know you don't want to hear that now but it is true. You will heal and move on. He will still be a horrible person because he is doing nothing to change that.

Tight Hugs.
Old 01-09-2014, 06:57 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Hi I haven't bought any literature yet. But I will do. I am really upset today crying as I write. The kids never see their mom upset never. I out on a brave face around then and cry when they are asleep or when they are at their dads.

What is wrong with me. 7.5 months after we split I am still struggling to get over what he has done to me. Years of emotional torture reducing me to a shell of what I used to be. I feel worthless, as though I meant nothing to him. All of his old friends who he no longer speaks to as he fled the area to a new area where he knew nobody, all say you was his soulmate, we still believe you are but then the drink took over. They all can't understand why he did this to me. Not one of them.

I think I still love him. But do I feel that my worth is that low that I still love an alcoholic cheat. I remember watching his hands shake, seeing his tears when he cried to me begging me to help him only to leave me and find a woman who tolerates his drinking. He cried when he met me as he wanted children, he promised me the world, I have him kids only for him to drink more when I became pregnant. No matter how much I try I can't shake the pain. If only you all knew how hard I try..... I really do. At the moment I see no light, no future and all I get to hear is how they are moving in together, they are planning a holiday, they take my kids everywhere and I sit at home wallowing in grief. I don't want to feel like this anymore. I have had enough. I am 40 years of age. My 1st husband was a woman battering cheat who beat his gf after me, my next long term relationship was a secret cocaine user and a cheat, and my recent husband mentally tortured me and my oldest son. Since I got into my first relationship with my 1st hubby at 18 my life has been awful, men have all cheated and hurt me.

I don't want to start all over again at 40. I have decided I am staying single forever. Evil men for 22 years has broke me. The recent alcoholic ex has broke me beyond belief. He was the nail in the coffin. I have no faith in men, in relationships, the abuse has literally killed me. I am usually a strong person but the alcoholic narcisstic ex has truly kicked me to the floor and I can't seem to get back up.

I am questioning what is wrong with me. Do I need to go to gp to get antidepressants? Why am I struggling with the breakdown of this relationship but within 4 months I got over my previous exes? Does narcisstic alcohol abuse have such an impact on the victims? Is it normal to still be in a mess 7.5 months later?

Can anybody please suggest what else will help me. I go to al-anon, private counselling, I will buy some al-anon books. But please remember I no longer have many friends now. I had to stop all contact with them as my ex was intentionally bringing his new gf to the area to meet our joint friends. I hardly have anyone now and I can't just get out and meet new people when I have the kids a lot of the time. I can't just go out and meet new people. I have no one to help me with kids. I feel very isolated and tearful. Do other people on the receiving end of abuse decide they don't want a relationship ever again...... Been thinking like this for months. Why is it taking me so long to heal?
Old 01-09-2014, 07:10 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

O my dear....I have no doubt my AH and I will separate. At this stage in the game, I cannot think I would ever even date anyone again....ever. He says I am a man hater. I don't agree with that, but certainly I never want one in my life again. I do know that time changes things for many people. In the grand scheme of things....it has not been very long and you have been under so much stress.

Make an effort to join a group with your kids. I would say try to seek Celebrate Recovery which will provide babysitting and programs that will involve your kids too. That way you are not having to juggle babysitting so you can just go to a meeting. Talk to other people.

This will get better. Grieving takes a long time. You are overwhelmed and stressed. Give yourself a break. You will get past this, one day at a time.

Tight Hugs.
Old 01-09-2014, 07:10 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Alfie, I'm so sorry you are going through this. I have a similar story. It has been over 4 months my exabf walked out on me and is now with a new gf but I need to concentrate on me right now. I still cry almost everynight but the days seem to be getting better. I go to meetings twice a week, see a therapist, and I read whatever I can get my hands on. I don't have many friends because most were mutual friends and I don't need the agony hearing about his life. I just enrolled in school and I'm 50 so I will be meeting new people and learning something at the same time. It has to be all about me right now. I'm hoping things well get better with time and will add you to my prayers
Old 01-09-2014, 07:30 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Alfieplug, I don't think any of us can tell you exactly what will work for you. There's no one formula or magic fix. The formula is unique to the individual. What I can share is what's working for me. My AH and I have been married 21 years, together 25 years. I am 42. I have very little dating experience outside of AH. No real relationship experience. He is the sum total of my sexual experience. I can't imagine my life without him, and like you, can not imagine my life with anyone else. I have zero interest in dating at the moment. He is moving out next month. For us, it was not infidelity (which I think would add another layer and make it devastating in whole other way that I can't relate to )

Since we actually said the words out loud and started the plans for separation, I have been an emotional wreck. I have literally cried a minimum of probably a gazillion times/day the last week or so (ok probably really only 5-6 times/day ) I'm the one initiating the separation (to get my ds 15 to come home - will not come home with his father in the house.) I really think I started grieving around the same time that I realized that I was powerless to fix the situation between ds & AH (because I knew that meant I'd probably end up where we are now.) That was almost two months ago. I think this last week was my bottom. The last couple of days, I'm finding myself a little less emotional, a little stronger. I have no doubt it will be difficult when he moves out. I share all of that so you know where I'm coming from.

Now, what I'm doing: attending al-anon twice a week. Seeing a counselor every other week or so. Reading my al-anon books, working through the questions. Journaling my feelings, thoughts, and realizations for the day. Reading my bible, memorizing relevant scripture/writing it down. Reading here. Talking with people who will just listen. Spending time with my children and trying to be present in the moment, having fun. And, focusing on me. What do I want my future to look like?

I am still emotional. It's still hard but it really is getting easier each day. I can see a light at the end of my tunnel. If I couldn't, I absolutely would not hesitate to discuss the possibility of an antidepressant with my doctor.

I'm sorry, alfie I really wish I had a magic solution for you. Just take care of you. Be gentle with yourself.

ETA: scancrow just reminded me! I am also planning to go back to school for my master's degree. That will certainly keep me busy!
Old 01-09-2014, 06:34 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Alfiepug, there is a great book "Codependent No More" , which helps to get your self respect and confidence and joy back. I highly recommend it for you. I get something good out of it each time I read it. a very popular book.

hugs
chicory
Old 01-10-2014, 11:38 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Hi just been on amazon and bought the book.

I am literally done. Friends contacted me again today to say he was drinking in pub with his enabling new gf and family. They let him down 4 pints and god knows what he had at home before going to that pub. In pub at 3.30 and police called at 16.00 to say he usually leaves between 17.00 -17.30. Police promised to have unmarked car waiting. At 17.15 he left and no police attendance. Twice now police have failed. Enabling gf and family watch him drink and say nothing. Police don't care. His car is registered on pnc database as drink driver and twice they fail to attend. I stop him seeing kids and his family cause me trouble who live 3 doors away. Had my car keyed when I stopped him seeing kids before. Exes sister known trouble in the area and she will be at my door. Police don't care, fighting losing battle with him drink driving my kids. So now either I stop him seeing kids and face severe repercussions or I get solicitor to send him a letter. I just want a peaceful life and want my kids to be safe. I am desperately tearful in the knowledge that the law is failing my kids. Simply had enough of him drinking thinking its ok to drink drive my kids around. He has been out of my life for months but his behaviour continues to put my kids at risk
Old 01-10-2014, 11:55 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry to hear that they are failing you...that's not fair.

I've never been in your situation, maybe others will have better advice than me.

I wonder if it would help to hire a private investigator to follow him and catch him in these acts, and provide proof?

Wishing you a fast resolution of your problems, and some serenity.

Peace.
Old 01-10-2014, 12:00 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by alfiepug3 View Post
Hi I haven't bought any literature yet. But I will do. I am really upset today crying as I write. The kids never see their mom upset never. I out on a brave face around then and cry when they are asleep or when they are at their dads.

What is wrong with me. 7.5 months after we split I am still struggling to get over what he has done to me. Years of emotional torture reducing me to a shell of what I used to be. I feel worthless, as though I meant nothing to him. All of his old friends who he no longer speaks to as he fled the area to a new area where he knew nobody, all say you was his soulmate, we still believe you are but then the drink took over. They all can't understand why he did this to me. Not one of them.

I think I still love him. But do I feel that my worth is that low that I still love an alcoholic cheat. I remember watching his hands shake, seeing his tears when he cried to me begging me to help him only to leave me and find a woman who tolerates his drinking. He cried when he met me as he wanted children, he promised me the world, I have him kids only for him to drink more when I became pregnant. No matter how much I try I can't shake the pain. If only you all knew how hard I try..... I really do. At the moment I see no light, no future and all I get to hear is how they are moving in together, they are planning a holiday, they take my kids everywhere and I sit at home wallowing in grief. I don't want to feel like this anymore. I have had enough. I am 40 years of age. My 1st husband was a woman battering cheat who beat his gf after me, my next long term relationship was a secret cocaine user and a cheat, and my recent husband mentally tortured me and my oldest son. Since I got into my first relationship with my 1st hubby at 18 my life has been awful, men have all cheated and hurt me.

I don't want to start all over again at 40. I have decided I am staying single forever. Evil men for 22 years has broke me. The recent alcoholic ex has broke me beyond belief. He was the nail in the coffin. I have no faith in men, in relationships, the abuse has literally killed me. I am usually a strong person but the alcoholic narcisstic ex has truly kicked me to the floor and I can't seem to get back up.

I am questioning what is wrong with me. Do I need to go to gp to get antidepressants? Why am I struggling with the breakdown of this relationship but within 4 months I got over my previous exes? Does narcisstic alcohol abuse have such an impact on the victims? Is it normal to still be in a mess 7.5 months later?

Can anybody please suggest what else will help me. I go to al-anon, private counselling, I will buy some al-anon books. But please remember I no longer have many friends now. I had to stop all contact with them as my ex was intentionally bringing his new gf to the area to meet our joint friends. I hardly have anyone now and I can't just get out and meet new people when I have the kids a lot of the time. I can't just go out and meet new people. I have no one to help me with kids. I feel very isolated and tearful. Do other people on the receiving end of abuse decide they don't want a relationship ever again...... Been thinking like this for months. Why is it taking me so long to heal?
Stay in counseling, honey, and find someone else if you don't like the counselor you are seeing/if they aren't helping/if you feel like you aren't clicking with them (do you feel like your current therapist is helping you?). I'm so sorry you have had such lousy experiences with men. Not all men are bad people. After twenty two years of enduring such abuse, your self esteem is broken, you probably don't trust your own judgement, and you need help building your strength back up.

If money is an issue, try to find a therapist who works with you on a sliding scale fee.

Wishing you Peace.
Old 01-10-2014, 12:45 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Question, what if you send a letter to your attorney each time you do not send them w/him because he has been drinking? What happens if you just say no. I have a friend who will not send her daughter when her AXH has been drinking and keeps a journal of why just in case he would decide to take her to court...which he has not done.

I am not suggesting this, simply passing on what she does. I know in the town I live they will not intervene on a custody dispute because it is a civil matter, you have to go back to court.
Old 01-10-2014, 01:00 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

7.5 months is not a long time. Please dont beat yourself up. I was in same situation as you, details a bit different, but overall same thing.

I have been separated from AH since May 2012 and it has gotten easier over time. Majority of that time I was fighting my head/neck cancer, it got to Stage 4 and I almost died! Some days I thought God was so cruel to strike me with illness after separation, etc.

Alfie, you have to get to a point where you protect your children if thats all you can do. Stop thinking and investing so much time in him and what he is doing or what or who he is doing it with. My husband has an enabling gf too and it is so painful but you cannot do anything about that. Be strong for your children even when you feel you cant last another day. Treat yourself. Take care of you. In doing so you will get stronger and you will be a stronger woman for your kids and before you know it, it will hurt less and less! I promise!! Being ill showed me I was focusing too much on AH and not the right things. I have brand new friendships that are built on real things not just socializing with alcohol....

You have to face your pain and there is no easy way to get through it. You have to sustain. We are here to support you. PM me if you need it...my prayers are with you.
Old 01-10-2014, 01:57 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  
Pia

Originally Posted by alfiepug3 View Post

I am literally done. Friends contacted me again today to say he was drinking in pub with his enabling new gf and family. They let him down 4 pints and god knows what he had at home before going to that pub. In pub at 3.30 and police called at 16.00 to say he usually leaves between 17.00 -17.30. Police promised to have unmarked car waiting. At 17.15 he left and no police attendance. Twice now police have failed. Enabling gf and family watch him drink and say nothing. Police don't care. His car is registered on pnc database as drink driver and twice they fail to attend. I stop him seeing kids and his family cause me trouble who live 3 doors away. Had my car keyed when I stopped him seeing kids before. Exes sister known trouble in the area and she will be at my door. Police don't care, fighting losing battle with him drink driving my kids. So now either I stop him seeing kids and face severe repercussions or I get solicitor to send him a letter. I just want a peaceful life and want my kids to be safe. I am desperately tearful in the knowledge that the law is failing my kids. Simply had enough of him drinking thinking its ok to drink drive my kids around. He has been out of my life for months but his behaviour continues to put my kids at risk

alfiepug3- I just discovered they have the book on audio just a FYI I am downloading the book to my computer and tablet. I have been through the book twice and would like to be able to hear it as well. I really hope you get your copy soon. sending you hugs