New and hopeful

Old 06-17-2013, 06:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Beg

New and hopeful

I just joined the site minutes ago. I am the husband of a wife echo is an alcoholic. She thinks she can over come on her own. I am feeling stressed and know I am not dealing with the situation properly. I am seeking help and advise from those who have been there.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Welcome, you are in a great place, here. I suggest you also try Al-Anon, which is another GREAT source of support.

I've been in two alcoholic marriages (one got sober and stayed that way, the other did not), and I am almost five years sober, myself. There are a very few people who manage to get happily sober and stay that way without the help of AA or a similar program, but most people have to at least try it on their own before they are convinced.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome Beg. I will echo what Lexie already said. Please find an AlAnon meeting near you, and make the time to attend. You will find a room full of people who get where you are, who have been there, who offer no judgement/advise/criticism. They simply share their experience/strength/hope to help you on your journey. The suggestion is to attend 6 meetings before deciding if it's for you or not. If you live where there are several meetings, then go to a few different ones. Each one is a little different. Find the one that feels right for you.

Keep reading and posting here. Read the sticky's at the top of the page. Welcome.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Beg...you've reached the point I was at when I reached out for help - when I knew my actions were not helping the situation and I was part of the problem. I started with counseling, spoke to the priest at my parish, eventually both encouraged me to get to Al-Anon in addition to my counseling.

My RAH thought he could overcome this disease on his own too. He did it once before - was dry for 17 years. He relapsed, and within a year was completely unrecognizable. He's tried to quit 7 times in the last 7 months. This time he has reached 28 days...he finally started AA this time.

I don't know what the future holds for me, him or for us, but I'm finding that as I begin working my recovery I know that I will be okay, regardless. I'm several months into this already, and I have a long time to go. You're among friends here; welcome.