Alcohol withdrawal seizures

Old 06-13-2013, 08:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcohol withdrawal seizures

Our grown son has been living with us for 7 months. He went cold turkey at Christmas and a had a seizure . (He had done the same thing last summer when he tried to quit drinking) He was hospitalized both times. Now he has been drinking again and, once again, quit cold turkey. Two weeks ago he had a seizure again. He has been doing better since then, but yesterday he passed out three times after making really strange, jerky, seizure-like movements. He has no memory of this after it happens. My question is: How long does alcohol withdrawal last? Both trips to the hospital and many tests found that there is nothing that should causing this, so they assume it it alcohol withdrawal. We are at a loss. He won't attend a 12 step program.
Old 06-13-2013, 09:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Becky - Welcome to SR, though sorry for what has brought you here.

I see that you have taken him to the hospital, but did they offer any suggestions for followup?

Seizures are serious, and I have a dear friend here that suffered brain issues by trying to stop drinking cold turkey.

FWIW, not only did I used to be an ER nurse (and we always recommended followup), I'm also a recovering addict (lost the nursing career thanks to that) and a codependent who has loved ones who are still drinking/using/popping pills.

I strongly recommend you check out the Friends & Family/alcoholics forum, as you will find many people who "get" what you are going through.

If 12-step meetings aren't his thing, well, it could be for various reasons. He's not ready to admit he has a problem, he has a problem with the "HP thing" or he doesn't relate to people in the meetings.

I can only tell you my ES&H (experience, strength and hope). I had a boyfriend who was an alcoholic. I drank to "put up or keep up" with him. We finally parted ways, but by then I was abusing opiates. Lost my nursing career, went to meetings and hooked up with a guy (MUCH against my sponsor and everyone else in my home group) who introduced me to crack. Quit the opiates, had several months clean, got hooked on crack.

It was NOT the fault of the meetings, it was ME. I wasn't ready to deal with things and I just changed substances.

I haven't been to a meeting in years, but I live by what I was taught there every single day. I use SR and the friends I've made here as my main support, but at 6+ years in recovery, I also have a lot of family support.

I will also tell you this. When I truly hit bottom? I didn't have any physical withdrawals, but the mental ones were bad. I threatened suicide, I whined, I begged. My dad (a major codependent) finally gave me the dignity to deal with my consequences and figure out a way to dig myself out the hole I'd dug myself into (and trust me, it was a BIG hole).

I live at home at the age of 51. My dad is still a major codie (codependent), my stepmom is still a major A (addict) as well as a codie.

Me? I have years of recovery. I went back to school, graduated with honors and passed my certification test. I still will have to answer "and why did you go from a nurse to working at McDonald's" but I have faith the right answer will come through.

I've moved on, I have excellent referencees. I am the "responsible" person in my family.

Sorry for all the info about me but #1 - seizures are very dangerous and need medical attention. #2 - he's got to be in a place that HE wants to quit his behavior, and he's not going to get there until he's forced to deal with the consequences (my personal experience, and #3 - SR and the friends and family forum is a HUGE amount of support - you will find you're not alone, and what others have been through.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 06-14-2013, 04:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Dear Becky, may I ask--how old is your son? I have been in your shoes--except for the seizures. I have, however treated those with withdrawl seizures. As Impurrfect says, they are potentially dangerous. It is also possible that he has been drinking secretly, thus triggering m ore seizures. With his history, he is likely to have seizures every time he reduces his intake or goes cold turkey. He should not try to quit without medical supervision--or at least, with a doctor supervising home detox (meds, etc). This is an awful lot of responsibility for you to have on your hands!!

Has he ever had a rehab program?

i understand, very well, that you feel at a loss--but, there is help for him and YOU. We are here for you and will support you with our experience and hope.

dandylion
Old 06-14-2013, 08:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I had my seizure on day 4.
it was quitting cold turkey. One more time i thought i could it on my own without dr assistance.
take him to the dr or you may be taking him somewhere worse.
Old 06-15-2013, 11:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The seizures are terrifying to me.....RH was hospitalized several times. I had no idea of the dangers. I was informed they get worse each time they stop drinking. So perhaps your son is still drinking or along those lines. My husband's started when he was simply not getting enough alcohol to maintain. Those were weird...similar I think to what you mention. Then he started the stopping cold and huge seizures resulted.
It is terrifying ...I feel for you...I now refuse to have him stop cold at the house. After finding him 2x in a catatonic state and watching a grand seizure on Father's Day, I told him I will not be there to witness anymore. He went to detox and they were able to medicate him to avoid the seizures.
I had no idea until our 2nd hospital visit the severity of them. I had no idea it was textbook for long-term drinking. Talk to someone who can fully explain the dangers of drying out at home....it can be deadly......My husband refused to acknowledge the seizures had even happened!!! How crazy and infuriating....I had to get real serious, real firm, and it was hard...but I told him I wouldn't have my daughter witness this. my MIL was so freaked out and offered to have him stay at her house while detoxing. I tried to explain that he had to man up and do this the right way. That the seizures WERE going to happen and they would have to call 911. It was scary stating that I wouldn't be there and that he could die without someone to call the paramedics, but I had to force it...and the most stubborn man eventually went to detox. hang in there and talk to someone who can help. Not knowing the consequences can be deadly.
Also, my RAH would cough a lot tipping me off to how extreme the withdrawals were getting. I guess it has to do with diaphragm spasms.
it sounds like he is still drinking....
Old 07-18-2013, 09:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Our son

Thanks to those of you who posted in response to my question about seizures last month. We could never get our son into a 12 step program. He was going to a clinic here in town and working with the doctors and counselors there. He seemed to be getting better. On July 4th, he had another seizure here at our home and passed away. We were not able to find any alcohol that he had hidden, but I wonder now if he had had so many seizures that just a small change in his prescription meds could have triggered this seizure. 36 is too young to die. We are brokenhearted. If you or any family members experience seizures, please try to get them not to go cold turkey without a doctor's help. We were not successful in getting our son to agree. Thanks again for your response. Please keep us in your thoughts and prayers.
Old 07-18-2013, 09:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Becky,

I am so deeply sorry to read about this tragedy. 36 IS way too young to die. Alcoholism is such a cruel and devastating disease.

You are always welcome here, or more specifically, maybe there is a support group you can find for parents who have lost children? There are probably even people on SR who have experienced this devastating situation. I strongly believe that these group type situations help tremendously with healing.

My prayers are with you.
Old 07-18-2013, 10:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Minx

Oh my dear god Becky' that is soo sad, thoughts and prayers to u and your family.

I'm on day 1 of supervised detox today, I know why now it's soo important not to go cold turkey
Old 07-19-2013, 04:39 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I'm so sorry, Becky,

This is a horrible, cruel disease. You and your son and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.
Old 07-19-2013, 06:30 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Oh, Becky... I am so, so sorry. You are in my thoughts and prayers. Hugs. Wishing you peace and strength.
Old 07-19-2013, 06:53 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry for your loss. My thoughts and prayers going out to you and your family!
Old 07-19-2013, 07:03 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Engineer Things; LOVE People

So sorry Becky,

Please continue your good legacy of caution and help to others.
Old 07-19-2013, 07:28 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

Prayers and blessings to you.