Order of protection expiring

Old 06-12-2013, 02:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
KRA

Order of protection expiring

My order of protection against my xagf expires soon. It had been given by the judge as a condition of her sentencing. Does anyone know if it would be possible for me to renew it even though she never violated it? I think she will probably try to make contact with me when it expires and I don't want anything to do with her. I tried contacting the district attorney assigned to my case to ask about this, but haven't heard a reply.
Old 06-12-2013, 05:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Here's a link on applying for an order of protection in NY: http://www.inmotiononline.org/assets...ion_in_NYS.pdf

In most places, you can apply for a civil order in family court. The DA's office would not be involved in that. I suggest you contact the family court and ask for information about obtaining one. Tell them that the judge in the criminal case had ordered one as a condition of sentence and that that order is now expiring and you want to obtain a civil order to continue the protection. Be sure to explain to the clerk and to the judge that, although she has not violated the order, you feel that the order is what has prevented any ongoing problems and that you need one for your protection.
Old 06-12-2013, 05:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KRA View Post

Does anyone know if it would be possible for me to renew it even though she never violated it?
in many cases if we go back to court
these will be extended if the judge sees any need

sounds like there's a need there
Old 06-12-2013, 06:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A work in progress

The criminal judge may no longer have jurisdiction once the term of probation expires.