Blackout Question

Old 06-11-2013, 05:51 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Blackouts are usually where a person is acting/speaking rationally (or, rather, what passes for rational from a drunk), but has no recollection of anything done/said/heard during this time period at a later time.

This sounds more like sleepwalking or dreaming or hallucinating. IOW, he is arguing about whether it's daytime or nighttime. A person in a blackout would know whether it was daytime or nighttime, but would not recall the time period in question once he comes out of the blackout. And some people come out of a blackout in mid-conversation and not remember where they are or whom they are talking to.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:23 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by choublak View Post
So it doesn't seem like a blackout?
No.

It sounds like a continuing drunken stupor interrupted by sleep.

Not to hijack this thread I'll just add IMO

From my experiences and some knowledge, forgetting and being confused while drinking to excess for a period time usually isn't a black out.

A blackout is a very specific and dangerous medical condition usually brought on by singular incidents of extreme intoxication exacerbated by dehydration and lack of nourishment.
Old 06-12-2013, 01:27 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
box of chocolates

My ah would do this....its sad and scary when they do and you can never explain to them wothout making it worse.
I would be as quiet as possible so hed just sleep it off (no way to live though) and ecen as quite as a mouse hed still wake up sometimes like a lunatic.
Old 06-12-2013, 07:07 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

my AW is a blackout drinker and has been longer than I have realized. In the begining I could kinda tell she was in a black out state because her speech changed a bit (the way she articulated). Also, when she was in her blackout period her personality changed. She became very blame oriented, saying it was me that was causing all the problems in her life etc. The next moring she had no idea what happened the night before. I believe as a result of the progressiveness of the disease, the black out episodes have changed. Now the only time I know that she has blacked out is the next day she says she cant remember what happened the night before. Here speech is normal and her personality is the same. I also noticed that this has changed once she inotroduced herself to Vodka along with her nightl bottle plus a night. She says that she should cut down, but that is just a quack.
Old 06-12-2013, 07:59 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Wiscober, I think you might be right about drunken stupor and sleep because he's always passed out in his chair before these episodes happen although he swears to me he never sleeps. He's always complaining he can't get to sleep but I sure hear him snoring. So is a blackout then acting completely normal (walking, talking, etc.) but not remembering it the next day as Grizz described about his AW? ThisLonelyGirl, it is scary for sure and I'm sorry you are going through it too.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:12 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Grizz My best to you and thank you for your post...my concern would be for you...if not already you may want to give Alanon a call. I am male and attend -- bit of a newbie but it has helped me tremendously. If no meetings in your area try to find a tele.# and info. online. SR has family and friends of: forums.

Originally Posted by sunnshinegirl View Post
Wiscober, I think you might be right about drunken stupor and sleep because he's always passed out in his chair before these episodes happen although he swears to me he never sleeps. He's always complaining he can't get to sleep but I sure hear him snoring. So is a blackout then acting completely normal (walking, talking, etc.) but not remembering it the next day as Grizz described about his AW? ThisLonelyGirl, it is scary for sure and I'm sorry you are going through it too.
There has been some really great threads on SR about blackouts worth searching for. Should help you with your questions...also a google of medical research is helpful...best to you....
Old 06-12-2013, 12:45 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

This link has a pretty good description of an alcoholic blackout. Its from the Rational Recovery site:
Rational Recovery | Alcoholic Blackouts

With my STBXAW she would have days where she couldn't remember much of anything. Very scary. It was scary to her too, embarrassing, made her feel guilty and an awful person. I felt bad that she was going through it but I also didn't have to accept her behavior and accept blackouts as an excuse for the horrible things she did. It's a very difficult thing to deal with. On one hand, the person you love is having a horrible time with this horrible disease and you can empathize, but then they do all these horrible things to you, and seems a good portion of the time shift the blame on you. Uuugggghhhhhh! This disease never ceases to amaze and horrify me.
Old 06-12-2013, 01:04 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

When a person is blacked out there is evidence that brain damage is being done. I believe after many years and many blackouts the alcoholic develops "wet brain".