SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Alcoholics (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/)
-   -   breathalyzer for car ?? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/297029-breathalyzer-car.html)

Tinu88 06-06-2013 10:54 PM

breathalyzer for car ??

Have family member that has a long history of alcohol abuse and drunk driving. Law no longer requires him to have a breathalyzer on his car anymore so of course he took it off as he says he has "no problem". But we want him to have one and was wondering if they can be purchased privately/aftermarket or something?

Recovering2 06-07-2013 12:21 AM

So you purchase a breathalyzer for his car. He doesn't want one, and isn't required by law to have one. You "want" him to have one. He doesn't have to use it. Do you force him to breathe into it? Can you guarantee someone is with him every time he drives to make sure that happens? Can that person force him to breathe into it? If he does (which he won't) and it's positive...now what?

Bottom line...privately purchasing a breathalyzer won't stop him from drinking. If he continues to drink and drive, the best you can do is call the police if he drives away drunk. Until he gets real about his addiction, there is NOTHING you can do to stop him. What you CAN do is get help for yourself. Find an AlAnon group near you, and go to a meeting. Get support, way more helpful than wasting money on a breathalyzer that he won't use.

Pelican 06-07-2013 04:43 AM

Welcome to the SR family!

I found myself in a cycle of madness when I tried to anticipate and control outcomes of my alcoholic husband. I would plan events on his day off to prevent him from being drunk before 3 p.m. He may have been sober a few times as a result, but by 6 p.m. he had made up for *lost* time.

I learned on this website about the 3 C's of my husbands alcoholism:

I can not Control it
I did not Cause it
I can not Cure it

The addiction belongs to the adult with the problem. I needed to give him the dignity of making his own choices. I also had to step out of my role as rescuer and allow him to feel the full consequences of his choices.

Reading on this forum help me find a healthier way to face alcoholism with a loved one. I found a helpful post in the permanent posts at the top of this main forum page. Here is a link to the post that helped me:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...l-problem.html

caboblanco 06-07-2013 04:47 AM

You can call one of the interlock companies like smart start and they will tell you if they sell them for non conviction use. I think some parents use them for their teenagers. They will give the parents a code so they can run the car without breathing. I don't think you can force someone who owns the car a pays his own insurance. but good luck

Justfor1 06-07-2013 05:06 AM

tinu, yes he can continue to pay for the machine after the law requirement is up. The alcohol machines are fairly inexpensive now days so it might be worth it to prevent him from driving into a tree or school bus.

Tinu88 06-07-2013 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by Justfor1 (Post 4003186)
tinu, yes he can continue to pay for the machine after the law requirement is up. The alcohol machines are fairly inexpensive now days so it might be worth it to prevent him from driving into a tree or school bus.

Ok thanks I'll look into it.

Tinu88 06-07-2013 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by Recovering2 (Post 4002899)
So you purchase a breathalyzer for his car. He doesn't want one, and isn't required by law to have one. You "want" him to have one. He doesn't have to use it. Do you force him to breathe into it? Can you guarantee someone is with him every time he drives to make sure that happens? Can that person force him to breathe into it? If he does (which he won't) and it's positive...now what?

Bottom line...privately purchasing a breathalyzer won't stop him from drinking. If he continues to drink and drive, the best you can do is call the police if he drives away drunk. Until he gets real about his addiction, there is NOTHING you can do to stop him. What you CAN do is get help for yourself. Find an AlAnon group near you, and go to a meeting. Get support, way more helpful than wasting money on a breathalyzer that he won't use.

It has worked for several years in him keeping a licence. Car simply won't start unless he uses it and is sober. He has no friends anymore so its not like someone would be riding along with him and blowing into the machine etc.

AnvilheadII 06-07-2013 06:38 AM

if he took the one off when his probation was up, what makes you think he won't just disable a new one? if he's an adult how do you plan to take his car and install the breathalyzer and then MAKE him use it?

Tinu88 06-07-2013 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by AnvilheadII (Post 4003257)
if he took the one off when his probation was up, what makes you think he won't just disable a new one? if he's an adult how do you plan to take his car and install the breathalyzer and then MAKE him use it?

Main factor this time was cost I believe in why he took it off as his probation was up long ago and he still kept it on. He really didn't like it but he knew it insured he wouldn't get himself into trouble.

Justfor1 06-07-2013 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by Tinu88 (Post 4003274)
Main factor this time was cost I believe in why he took it off as his probation was up long ago and he still kept it on. He really didn't like it but he knew it insured he wouldn't get himself into trouble.

How many DUI's does he have? The Judge should not of let him remove the device if he doesn't trust himself not to get into "trouble".