The Irony

Old 05-24-2013, 01:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The Irony

I was thinking today (ok, obsessing)....

From day one with my EXAG, I always loved the chemistry, attraction and excitement our relationship brought. I wanted her, but never thought anything long term *could* ever come out of it. For a few years we dated, and I kept my distance from her very young children. Maybe it was an excuse, but I always used the fact that I was not ready to get married, and I thought that getting close to young kids (3 and 5) without a plan for a future together would be selfish and could be damaging to the kids. I also used the fact that I don't deal well with break ups, and I will only get married once in my life. Hence, marriage for me will not be a "gamble."

And here I sit, 13 years later, even though we didn't get married, I am feeling like I have been going through an agonizing divorce for months. I guess the only real difference is I get to keep my 401k.

The irony....
Old 05-24-2013, 01:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I think it was Johnny Carson who said instead of getting married again, he was just going to find a woman he hated and buy her a house.

Hey, at least you have your 401k!

My last relationship was very "marriage-like" in many ways, but if I had been legally obligated to give him anything more than his share of the winery property we owned together, I would have puked.
Old 05-24-2013, 01:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Oh, and one more thing, Crazed. I totally LOVE your sense of humor.

When you aren't grimly obsessing you're a pretty fun guy to have around!
Old 05-24-2013, 02:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

crazed

somehow, be thankful you get to keep your 401K. right now this probably doesn't seem like such a great thing to you but it is. had my relationship lasted i would have been under the bus financially before it was all said and done--guaranteed. i've never been one to focus on money other than having goals i want to reach(he was terrible, terrible, terrible with money and said so alllllllll the time)and making sure the bills are paid, etc...BUT BUT BUT...how bad would we feel right now if that had happened, also?????? this situation has been worse than divorce the way my heart feels at times. i know you feel this way, too. the only thing i can hang on to is what my brain says which is "girl, it could have been so, so much worse" and then i have to stop. you gave 13 years of your life to her/children--but you still have years of life to live. please remember it. i keep telling myself whatever i need to just to breathe and keep moving. if you can, reach down as deep as you can and find the piece of you which won't allow another human with addiction to take your future away from you. it will be a different future than either of us thought or planned or even how we feel right now. thing is: it will be BETTER. none of the nonsense we have experienced with them.
letting go of the "good" times or the beginning or the things that seemed hopeful is the hardest. the train wreck is real. and there is always one or more train wrecks with them. for me...my heart can't do this again. once is enough. what i learn here and now is going to stick. come hell or high water.
be strong!
Old 05-24-2013, 06:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks Peacedove. Very well put.

And Lexie- It is sometimes easy to mask pain with humor-
I just flew in, an BOY are my arms tired! Remember to tip your wait staff! I'll be here all week. And Try the Veal!

Old 05-24-2013, 07:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
A work in progress

*rimshot*

I know it sometimes feels like we are MASKING the pain with humor, but if I can crack a joke or make someone else smile, or if someone makes me laugh, I feel BETTER, dammit. Heck, you've let it ALL hang out with us. You don't NEED to mask anything with us. So I'm betting you felt a teensy bit better with the Henny Youngman routine up there.

And feeling better, even for a few minutes, is a nice thing.