Don't Stop Living Your Life!

Old 05-18-2013, 07:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

Don't Stop Living Your Life!

Saturday, May 18, 2013

You are reading from the book The Language of Letting Go

Don't stop living your life!

So often, when a problem occurs, inside or around us, we revert to thinking that if we put our life on hold we can positively contribute to the solution. If a relationship isn't working, if we face a difficult decision, if we're feeling depressed, we may put our life on hold and torment ourselves with obsessive thoughts.

Abandoning our life or routines contributes to the problem and delays us from finding the solution.

Frequently, the solution comes when we let go enough to live our life, return to our routine, and stop obsessing about the problem.

Sometimes, even if we don't feel like we have let go or can let go, we can act as if we have, and that will help bring about the letting go we desire.

You don't have to give up your power to problems. You can take your focus off your problem and direct it to your life, trusting that doing so will bring you closer to a solution.

Today, I will go on living my life and tending to my routine. I will decide, as often as I need to, to stop obsessing about whatever is bothering me. If I don't feel like letting go of a particular thing, I will act as if I have let go of it until my feelings match my behavior.
Old 05-18-2013, 09:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

This reading speaks loudly to me today. I purposely practice the tool of "acting as if." It's one I forget to use and I'd like to practice more often. It's most likely more viable and effective than I give it credit. Have you used this thinking technique? How did it work for you?

I'm reminded of what I've read about how the brain works. It's said that we don't hold two thoughts at the same time; what it really is, is toggling back and forth between ideas very quickly, so it just SEEMS as if we're multi-tasking.

If I can toggle the switch to the thought/s that are helpful, that move me in the direction I want to go, keep those thoughts "on" and turn the others "off," I can see how that keeps my attention where it needs to be.

I'm trying this out on my food addiction today. I'm obsessed with food, sugar/salt/chocolate especially and want to re-train my mind to focus on living my life!

I also have a specific concern about one of my children today. "Acting as if" can mean letting go of what I cannot control, turning the concern over to the "powers that be," trusting the solution will come, and doing something life enhancing with my time.

Thanks....
Old 05-18-2013, 09:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you for posting this.

My significant other is really good at this. Sometimes so good that it irritates me a bit. How on earth can you go lift weights and go to work as usual when all hell is breaking loose? Shouldn't you give priority to sitting home and wringing your hands?

This reading revealed to me how completely absurd that thinking is. Worrying really doesn't help. (Or, as I saw someone say on Twitter this week, "What do they mean worrying doesn't help? 90% of the things I worry about never happen!"
Old 05-18-2013, 10:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Having been an active user for 15000+ days living just one day at a time had no meaning whatsoever to me. On June 5th, it'll be 1 year no cigarettes, July 10th, 3 years no booze, and September 11th, 2 years no cocaine. Now that being "chemical independent" is normal for me, I need to work on letting go of anger issues and other issues that I have yet to identify because my anxiety level is probably higher now than ever before. The bottom line is, these kinds of problems are just a waste of my time. I'm never going to try to get even with bad people from my past so why is it so hard to let go of these feelings? I'm angry at myself which is just more wasting time. What is it about the my past I'm afraid to let go of? LoveMeNow, thanks for the thread. Its time to shift my focus somewhat to these kinds of issues.