First Day of Peace in 15 Years

Old 05-10-2004, 06:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First Day of Peace in 15 Years

Funny how things work. I have spent 15 years trying to get my H to quit drinking during which time he said he would never quit drinking and didn't have a problem. A few months after I stopped trying to get him to quit drinking, he says he's going to quit. Who woulda' thought? :shrug:

Yesterday (Mother's Day) was the first day in 15 years that my H didn't drink a beer. It was the first day in 15 years that we could actually have a conversation that made sense. It was the first day in 15 years that I actually enjoyed being with him - the entire day.

My H still doesn't want to talk about it. He says he isn't going to drink anymore - ever. He says he doesn't need a program or any help. He's just going to stop and never drink again. Of course, I'm not holding my breath and doubt if that will work. I told him that I pray that it will work and that I will do whatever I can to support him. I told him that, if he decides he might want some help, I can suggest people who might help him.

Regardless of what happens in the future, I am grateful for my one day of peace.
L
Old 05-10-2004, 06:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Dancing To My Own Beat

Re: First Day of Peace in 15 Years

((Lorelai))
You deserve peace. Hope you get more than one day, but cherish what you get. Hugs, Magic
Old 05-10-2004, 09:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Great feeling when you can see your husband in a different light without the drink Enjoy this time together kat
Old 05-10-2004, 09:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good for you!!!!!!! Enjoy the peace.

Ngaire
Old 05-10-2004, 12:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

the rest of us bask in your victory and support you. "rejoice with those who rejoice and mourn with those who mourn." I'll pray it gives him the peace or potential of peace that encourages him to continue to work on it. I'll also pray that someone (not you) comes along side him to offer support and maybe get him involved in some type of accountability if he's not into AA or something like it. Take care, enjoy!
Pam
Old 05-10-2004, 12:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Lorelai --

I'll keep you both in my prayers! The fact that he has made an attempt to stop is a huge acknowledgment of the fact that there is a problem, and that he knows it. You've done everything exactly right --- enjoy the peace, and I hope it lasts!
Old 05-10-2004, 01:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

In his own sort of way he has acknowledged he has a problem. I'm so glad for you and I hope it lasts. Even if it doesn't you know there is hope. Barbara