I was served papers for separation today

Old 04-22-2013, 08:13 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Hydrogirl - thank you for applying rule 4!

RAH slept in another room Friday and Saturday per my request after I was "served" Friday. RAH slept in our bed last night and I tod him again to sleep in another room. He refused and told me to change rooms. I know I can't make him change rooms and I don't want to move. I lived in the guest room for months because he had severe sleep apnea. He had major surgery in december to bring his jaws forward and it fixed the sleep apnea. I've been sleeping in our bed ever since. I get a great nights sleep in our bed.
I don't want to move because
1. I want to sleep in my bed - I sleep good
2. If I move rooms he will think he's won/has the upper hand

RAH is a big game player and I don't like to play games. Part of me sz to move rooms but another feels like I need to stand my ground. I know this is probably a very small issue in the scheme of things but I'm a little confused and need some help. I have a lot of other things on my mind like preparing to meet with my attorney tmrw.
Overall I'm doing okay. Feeling a little sad but starting to envision myself in a new place. Not sure how I'm going to get there but I know it will happen. I'm afraid i might fallback to trying to make things work for the sake of my daughter but need to hold strong to the fact that its over.
Thanks for listening!
Old 04-22-2013, 08:33 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  
box of chocolates

Originally Posted by CAgirl9 View Post

RAH slept in another room Friday and Saturday per my request after I was "served" Friday. RAH slept in our bed last night and I tod him again to sleep in another room. He refused and told me to change rooms. I know I can't make him change rooms and I don't want to move. I lived in the guest room for months because he had severe sleep apnea. He had major surgery in december to bring his jaws forward and it fixed the sleep apnea. I've been sleeping in our bed ever since. I get a great nights sleep in our bed.

RAH is a big game player and I don't like to play games. Part of me sz to move rooms but another feels like I need to stand my ground. I know this is probably a very small issue in the scheme of things but I'm a little confused and need some help. I have a lot of other things on my mind like preparing to meet with my attorney tmrw.
Overall I'm doing okay. Feeling a little sad but starting to envision myself in a new place. Not sure how I'm going to get there but I know it will happen. I'm afraid i might fallback to trying to make things work for the sake of my daughter but need to hold strong to the fact that its over.
Thanks for listening!
if he refuses to sleep elsewhere....i do not think you sleeping elsewhere is "losing" on the contrary i would think that moving rooms when he refuses shows seriousness and boundaries.
But i cant say it would be "fair" to you as you stated your room is comfy.
just a thought
Old 04-22-2013, 08:39 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

It sounds to me like he wants a friend with benefits rather than a wife. don't let him dictate how everything is going to be, you have rights too. I am so sorry you are going through this, it must be awful for you having to put a brave face on.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:17 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  
Grateful Member

Originally Posted by oneday66 View Post
file for divorce.. since u dont work u will get spousal support and get half of everything
move on
this is insulting.. he wants his cake and to eat it too..
Oneday66,
Those were my first thoughts. And of course he wants to keep the living arrangements so he can control the money. It's a stupid plan. He will eventually end up paying after CAgirl gets council and moves out or he moves.

CAgirl9,

I will tell you that I can not imagine anyone having the restraint you have shown in this circumstance. I am just in awe of your effort here to keep a cool head. I know the pain you're in from experience.

This is not a marriage. This is a hostage situation. And my best guess is that you're in shock and functioning VERY, VERY well. This speaks volumes about your character and integrity.

It's easy for someone like me to say things that sound like I'm putting a band-aide on a bullet hole. But I'm going to risk it anyway because my experience has lead me down this path in similar ways.

This is going to heal. God's going to shape the things to come and you will prevail because you're conduct dictates so. It's obviously the most life changing thing you'll probably ever have to endure, but in the end, this too will be one of the better things that ever came to pass in your life.

This husband hasn't any rights to money more than you, regardless if he's the earner. Seek council, get an attorney at any expense. And when you file be sure that the money spent will come out of his pocket at the conclusion of this divorce.

The fact that he has filed first is not favorable, this is why you must seek the best possible attny or use the District Attorney (free).

You are in fact, already in my prayers. And I'm going to ask that God's love will fill the void of love that is not available through humans at this time. You deserve His calm and serenity in the most troublesome times. And remember this:

Jeremiah 1:5
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart; I appointed you as a prophet to the nations."

Sometimes God allows us to travel distances in order to shape our hearts for His good. What you are going through is the distance needed to depend on Him with all that you are.

You're in my heart and surrounded with prayer.
Grace Be With You,
FreedomWon
Old 04-22-2013, 09:32 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  
Grateful Member

CAgirl9,

Children would rather be in a happy loving home than one that is not. Do not hold the devil's hand while he plots your death and ruins your daughter's life by setting an example of what should not under any circumstance be acceptable to a woman.

Live your life well and you will set the example of the exceptional woman. This means placing the focus on you for a change. It will be difficult, because you probably haven't done it in a long while, if ever, but it will be worth everything you put into claiming your independence.

Peace Be With You Today!
With love,
FreedomWon

Thanks for listening!
Old 04-22-2013, 09:42 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Hi CAgirl,

You have a lot of work to do today. Try to get as much of the documentation that you will need for the divorce today. Proof of income for last 3 years, proof of all assets, bank accounts, stocks, bonds, 401's, house, cars, etc.... , proof of all debt ex - mortgage, credit card bills, proof of life insurance, proof of health insurance, and anything else that you think might help or be needed.

Reason I am suggesting to do this now, is because all this may just disappear, and or pins might be changed to access info on computer. This way your attorney will already have it.

Good luck.

Also PS, I did research a little about divorce in California, and I think your hubby will be in for a very rude awakening.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:50 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FreedomWon View Post
I will tell you that I can not imagine anyone having the restraint you have shown in this circumstance. I am just in awe of your effort here to keep a cool head. I know the pain you're in from experience.

This is not a marriage. This is a hostage situation. And my best guess is that you're in shock and functioning VERY, VERY well. This speaks volumes about your character and integrity.
Dear FreedomWon, thank you SO much. your post brought me to tears - it was so touching- thank you!!
I just got off the phone with my therapist and he said "he's an alcoholic attempting to take a hostage" - what a coincidence you mentioned hostage!! My therapist also told me that I'm being provoked by RAH and to take things slowy, consider each move I make, take my time and don't be reactive. He said to give it time and let it play out. Therapist agreed the proposed arrangement by RAH is asinine but said it is designed to get me in a reactive mode and to set me up to be the one to pull the trigger (so RAH can be the victim).
I do know I don't want to be in a relationship like this but I'm going to follow my therapists advice and take things slowly. Therapist gave me some phrases to use with DD when she repeats things from RAH and he also reassured me she will get through this.
Thanks again FreedomWon - I can't tell you how much it feeds me soul to hear the kind words - and integrity is a big thing for me! Hugs!!
Old 04-22-2013, 09:51 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FreedomWon View Post
CAgirl9,

I whole-heartedly agree with FreedomWon here. You are AMAZING!
Old 04-22-2013, 11:33 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Dear FreedomWon, thank you SO much. your post brought me to tears - it was so touching- thank you!!
I just got off the phone with my therapist and he said "he's an alcoholic attempting to take a hostage" - what a coincidence you mentioned hostage!!
FreedomWon, I want to say thank you too. Wow!

My therapist also told me that I'm being provoked by RAH and to take things slowly, consider each move I make, take my time and don't be reactive. He said to give it time and let it play out. Therapist agreed the proposed arrangement by RAH is asinine but said it is designed to get me in a reactive mode and to set me up to be the one to pull the trigger (so RAH can be the victim).
Your therapist is amazing.
An asinine arrangement designed to provoke you into reacting instead of calmly responding. Exactly.

I do know I don't want to be in a relationship like this but I'm going to follow my therapists advice and take things slowly. Therapist gave me some phrases to use with DD when she repeats things from RAH and he also reassured me she will get through this.
As long as you are the one defining how the relationship goes from here (for you) it is all good. After years of marriage and two children, I know when I was done, I was DONE. Unfortunately, I could not get rid of him that quick. And anything I did in haste, I regretted.
Taking your time and thinking before acting is a good thing, no matter what is going on (of course, other than abuse of any sort).

It is so wonderful to get specific things to say to your daughter. I know that I struggled with not saying something hurtful about my ex, having something to say instead of the inner turmoil would have been a gift.

Integrity.....don't leave home without it!

Beth
Old 04-22-2013, 11:50 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Thanks for listening!
I'd rather sleep anywhere but next to someone I was divorcing and has treated me like your DH has - but, I'm not you.

I don't think he wins anything if you move to the other room. Peace is priceless, imo.
Old 04-22-2013, 12:02 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

And, this might not make any difference at all, but I imagine my ex saying,

"Well, she has been sleeping in the same bed with me!"

Even if it was just sleeping, being next to my future ex gave me the willies. And, since he was still actively using he would think this was me giving in and wanting to be "with" him.

I bet your therapist has an excellent answer for this!
Old 04-22-2013, 08:16 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  
Today is a New Day

Although I would be curious what the courts would think about a man filing for separation from his wife while insisting on sleeping in the marital bed next to her.

CAgirl, you are a remarkably strong woman. Stand your ground, continue to act in the best interest of you and your daughter rather than react to him, and eventually the truth will become apparent to the courts in spite of his snake oil act. You'll be fine. (((HUGS)))
Old 04-22-2013, 09:00 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Hi Cagirl 9,

I have a solution for your hubbie who wishes to sleep in the bedroom... get an IPOD boom box and go to XASpeakers and download speaker tapes... AA speakers ... Alanon speakers and play them... loud... all the time in your bedroom. Does he like TV in the bedroom... sell the TV for the money to buy the boom box!

Chris R, Chris S are good ones as they are really loud speakers... and there are some great Alanon speakers... gals who have tried to drown their obnoxious drunks or stab them with a butcher knife when they went too far. Real fun stuff for the active alcoholic.

I will keep thinking of more ideas for fun things to do together at about 3 am in the morning ... lol
Old 04-22-2013, 09:35 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  
box of chocolates

Originally Posted by Hopeworks View Post
Hi Cagirl 9,

I have a solution for your hubbie who wishes to sleep in the bedroom... get an IPOD boom box and go to XASpeakers and download speaker tapes... AA speakers ... Alanon speakers and play them... loud... all the time in your bedroom. Does he like TV in the bedroom... sell the TV for the money to buy the boom box!

Chris R, Chris S are good ones as they are really loud speakers... and there are some great Alanon speakers... gals who have tried to drown their obnoxious drunks or stab them with a butcher knife when they went too far. Real fun stuff for the active alcoholic.

I will keep thinking of more ideas for fun things to do together at about 3 am in the morning ... lol

i laughed ridiculously and probably obnoxiously loud to everyone around me when i read this!!! lmao!!! this is priceless!
Old 04-22-2013, 10:11 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Yes, just read the post from Hopeworks and I'm laughing!!! Thanks for the comic relief. I do need to laugh a little at the absurdity of the whole situation. Therapist said to not move rooms. Said if I'm watching tv when RAH goes to bed and I don't want to turn it off then don't. Said for me to keep my routine/go about my day as I normally would.
Thanks for pointing out to me the tenacity I've had - its easy to forget with all the craziness.
I went to an Al Anon meeting this afternoon and received some great support from an al anon/AA member - she was so helpful giving me info on how the A mind works and her experience/stages with sobriety.
Thanks again for all the kind, supportive words!!!
Old 04-23-2013, 05:02 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Unless I was disgusted to sleep next to him or couldn't sleep in the bed I wouldn't move and honestly don't find it surprising.

You wouldn't believe the number of divorcing spouses that continue their sexual relationship while they are divorcing (I know that isn't the case here).

I have a feeling down the road you are going to have some "real" arguments so in the meantime anything that you can acceptably deal with without engaging in an argument - just ride the wave!
Old 04-26-2013, 08:16 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

I've been meaning to give an update after meeting with my attorney on Tuesday 4/23. I've been sick the past couple of days and have had a lot on my plate.
I met with attorney and explained to her what therapist said and told her I want a divorce but need to make my moves carefully since RAH has swayed DD. my attorney recommends co-parenting counseling. That will address RAH sharing too much with DD and hopefully address that he's not working a recovery program. I found out RAHs attorney does whatever the client wants and doesn't give advice on if something is reasonable or not.
So the plan is for my attorney to request an open extension for a formal response to the separation papers so DD can finish up the school year, co-parenting counseling and that RAH has to release some $$ to me.
Overall I'm doing good - except for the cold. I don't feel angry. I think I've reached a level of acceptance - I'm looking at the relationship as what it is and not what I want it to be. I've been trying to take a square peg and fit it in a round hole - it's not going to work. And I finally accept RAH is a square peg. I don't know how all this is going to play out and I'm sure it will get difficult but I hope I can handle myself with grace and dignity.
Thanks again for all the support.
Old 04-27-2013, 03:19 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  
A work in progress

You sound good, cold or no cold. Hope you feel better soon.

Don't count on the fact that he's not working a program to count for much with the court. I think the way most courts look at it, if he is not actively drinking, that dispenses with the alcohol issue. But hopefully there will be rules in place about not discussing the divorce with the child. Does your lawyer think she can get him out of the house, too?
Old 04-27-2013, 06:55 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

For Future: May I suggest that since he has a history of alcohol abuse, that you consider if an arrangement can be set up that he has to pass a breathalyzer in order to be with DD. I'm not sure how you will want to present it, but as hard as it was for me to accept I would have to be the one to give it (and whether I could "safely" make it work); it is because I insisted my teens would not be safe (we met with a mediator) we were able to come up with an agreement of this sort. As it turned out, my "sober" STBXAH failed twice over a 4 month period and because of it he does not get overnights with our teens.
Old 04-27-2013, 03:46 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Lexie - thanks. I know he will not move out so the only way to get him out is to sell the house. I know that will be very tough on my daughter - I will need help getting through that part! Just trying to stay with today and not "future trip" too much.
24years - thank you so much for the tip. I'll discuss it with my attorney. I hope it will be a viable option especially since he's in early recovery and highly likely to relapse.
It's tough going about my daily business acting like everything is okay. Most of my friends don't know what's going on. What's the best way to handle/communicate with friends once people find out whats going on? For exam