AGF hasn't taken a drink since Sunday...we'll see

Old 04-17-2013, 06:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

AGF hasn't taken a drink since Sunday...we'll see

Apparently she had some incredibly embarrassing thing happen on Friday with extended family. I wasn't there but I can only imagine. When she left here at around 7 on Friday she'd already had about 8 beers and she didn't get home til after I went to bed (she came in knee walking drunk around 1:00 AM babbling about how mean I am to her). She didn't mention anything Saturday and I didn't ask but I could tell something was off and I put two and two together. Sunday she told me that she didn't recognize the person she'd become and she wanted to change for herself. She finally admitted that once she starts drinking she physically can't stop. For the first time she said that she wants to quit but that she isn't sure she can without help. This was HUGE! She's never admitted that she's dependent on alcohol. She's never admitted how much it changes her.

I don't know if she is just taking what I've said to her in the past and parroting it back to me but she has been sober since Sunday morning. She's experiencing moderate withdrawal symptoms but she's hanging in. I hope her stubbornness works to her benefit for once. Today is the fourth day and though I'm not a praying woman I've been praying up a storm. I hope it sticks. She won't go to a meeting yet but I've been going and it's helping. I know that if she doesn't succeed it's not because I could have or should have done anything differently.

I'm a little suspicious that she may have checked my browser history and saw the apartments I've been looking at or maybe she even saw one of my posts here...but I'm trying not to be too cynical. Maybe it's just time. I know that many on here have gone through this a million times with your partners and spouses and I know that this may not last. But I've got a little tiny glimmer of hope this time that maybe it will stick.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

She won't go to a meeting yet but I've been going and it's helping. I know that if she doesn't succeed it's not because I could have or should have done anything differently.
This is great news Papo. Keep remembering this as you stay on your path.

Beth
Old 04-17-2013, 06:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you, Beth.

For the first time in a long time I feel hopeful. I think my hope comes more from the meetings and the support I've received here than from her. But I do hope that she can stay sober. I hope this works out, even if she and I don't.
Old 04-18-2013, 04:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

The fact that she admits to having a problem is huge. It is the most important first step. Be hopeful but wary. Encourage her to reach out for help. Good luck!
Old 04-18-2013, 04:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good Luck.

And password protect your account on whatever device you use.