Older men and effects of alcohol?

Old 04-16-2013, 05:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Older men and effects of alcohol?

I wonder if there are any studies on whether alcohol's side effects occur more easily as a man ages? (Something else to google.) It seems to me it might take less alcohol to have negative effects as one gets older?

Some studies I looked up say 4 drinks are okay for a man (daily). I wonder about that statistic, if it is different for different men, or changes as a man ages. I wonder if, after many, many years of this daily drinking of 2-4 drinks - sometimes more than 4 at parties/weekends, sometimes weeks of 4 per day (until he forces himself to cut back again because of negative effects) - if it takes a toll on the brain/body?

I asked my gp doc and he said, 3-4 drinks a day for a man is fine, no problem. Is this is really true for EVERYone? The doc says, the stats say so.

My spouse is suffering greatly with anxiety/panic attacks and cognitive issues after a lifetime of high-function; we hope it's temporary. Only time will tell.

Does anyone have any feedback on this topic of anxiety and alcohol's effects as a man ages?

I suppose I'm hoping his symptoms are related to alcohol because then they wouldn't be caused by something as sinister as age-related early dementia.

Thanks for listening....
Old 04-17-2013, 06:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I don't know your H's age, but my Ah is in his mid 40's. He has been suffeing with terrible anxiety for about 7 years now. He's also highly functioning-has very high stess job etc. I would suspect the anxiety he does have is only made worse as the alcohol he drinks leaves his system. If you read about alcohol and it's side effects one of them is increased anxiety. Of course it numbs it initially, but as it wears off- it increases. Alcohol is also a depressant so if he is suffeing from depression and anxiety, which often go hand in hand, it can make that cycle even worse for them. Alcohol also impares cognative function period. So if he has memory issues this could be why. I'd be concened that he's drinking more than he lets on especially with the things your describing. It's possible he's advanced something he may have gotten later in life if hadn't been drinking. I'm convinced after researching the effects and being a wittness to it for years, it advances/enhances the things they were already susceptable to... But hey, I'm no Dr. just an observer and avid researcher.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

A psychiatrist/and or neurologist--both medically trained doctors would be best able to satisfy your concerns. If you are writing about it here--you must be very concerned.

Many , many things can cause cognitive impairment; same with anxiety/panic.

sincerely, dandylion