So if you wanted to meet healthy men to go out with...

Old 04-11-2013, 05:37 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Crazed - If You're Buying...

... I'll go out with you!

But to get back on topic - I agree with Florence, I never had much luck when I was trying to find someone. I met people on the golf course, when I went jogging at the park, at Lowe's (never did like Home Depot). And at the grocery store (Yes, I can cook).
Old 04-11-2013, 06:32 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I met my awesome BF online! To find each other we both had to weed out a bunch of less-than-desirable candidates! It is not for everyone!

Good luck!

Kari
Old 04-11-2013, 06:41 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
I AM CANADIAN

Originally Posted by Lifewillgetbet View Post
Go out to dinner. Then a walk, then possibly a walk or a coffee shop. Not a bar
*not a bar*
i disagree...the bar is a great place to start having a BACK BONE...
i used mine all the time...and praticed it there

did meet my late husband at a bar...by chance he was there for a drink after a hockey game and me...birthday wishes...

i was always clear on my values and morals...and a bar does not change that either...but OPENs your EYES to alot of .....what ifs, dysfunctional, or mingling people....

just my 2cents...everyones hang ups are different
Old 04-11-2013, 06:42 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
I AM CANADIAN

Originally Posted by Zalula View Post
I met my awesome BF online! To find each other we both had to weed out a bunch of less-than-desirable candidates! It is not for everyone!
now see, i wouldn't do ONLINE...
but that is just me...lol
Old 04-11-2013, 08:08 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Florence View Post
Be active and be out on the world doing your thing, practicing your hobbies, living your life. The more out there you are, the more people you will meet. The more independent and happy you are, the better you will look to nice people who want quality company.
Pretty much what I would suggest. Even though I have a wedding ring on, I find that men talk to me and approach me in places like the grocery store, the bookstore, Home Depot(or Lowes), and at the fitness club. I play tennis and my AH likes to accuse me of picking up guys at the courts. Maybe that's because he plays tennis with his buddies, too, and he hears the comments they make about the female players regardless of their marital status?

My cousin is single and she met her last boyfriend by reconnecting with an old high school classmate she was friends with. My sister(who's married) has a guy who's chasing her around and he's part of her choir group at church. She also met a few nice guys at their divorce care group at church, as well.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:33 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Crazed View Post
I am available. And with dating me, I will let you lie, cheat and drink as much as your heart desires. But please be prepared for some empty threats. And the good part is, I will always be there for you, no matter how terrible you treat me! So are we going to a movie, or dinner? I'll pay.

.... I sometimes try to make light of the truth that hurts
Wow..thats me and then some!
I finally figured out after 40 years of paying for alcoholics and drug addicts that I wasnt their Savior...I was a casual drinker myself but decided to completly remove all alcohol,people and places where drinking is worshiped from my life. Amazing....I was the problem not them.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:41 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

... don't take on the whole problem as yours. If you do, we will think you are codependent.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:01 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I think you can find healthy men in all walks of life, work, church, gyms, grocery stores, clubs…..

Often it really comes down to knowing who is healthy and who is not. Understanding all the red flags with people and knowing to exit early rather then later from any un-healthy relationship.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:28 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Here's what I have to offer:

Unconditional love.
Eternal forgiveness even when you don't apologize or even see what you did wrong.
I will do everything I can to support you in having your own life because I don't want you to think I am selfish.
I will call to check on you when I haven't seen you in a while or I think you might be avoiding me.
If you ask me to do something for you, I will move heaven and earth to show you how reliable and dependable I am.
If you show me the slightest sign that you know I exist, I will be eternally yours.
If you are nice to my children, I will never get over the tiniest gesture.
You don't even have to love me or show me any sliver of the same amount of consideration. I'm like a pet that way.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:46 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Stella, I'm still married (for the time being) but have just become terribly isolated over the years due to my job and keeping odd hours, so I am looking to meet people too, just some friends.

I have just become aware of the Meet Ups that a couple of other folks have mentioned, and they seem interesting, have not actually attended any yet. I would think volunteering would be a good way to meet folks.

One thing I'm actively looking into is working at a CSA (community-supported agriculture), which is when you sign up w/a local farm and then receive a week's worth of veggies and/or fruit during the growing season. I found out that for 4 hours a week of work, I can get a full season's subscription (nearly $600 worth!) of produce, plus I get a day outside of my house working with others who likely have similar interests and values to myself. This might be a real long shot, since I don't know anything about you and your interests, but just wanted to put it out there since it seems to have MANY benefits! I'm really excited about this; hope it helps someone else here too.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:38 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Unconditional love.
Eternal forgiveness even when you don't apologize or even see what you did wrong.
I will do everything I can to support you in having your own life because I don't want you to think I am selfish.
I will call to check on you when I haven't seen you in a while or I think you might be avoiding me.
If you ask me to do something for you, I will move heaven and earth to show you how reliable and dependable I am.
If you show me the slightest sign that you know I exist, I will be eternally yours.
You don't even have to love me or show me any sliver of the same amount of consideration. I'm like a pet that way.
Please, please, please do not date an alcoholic.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:48 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I like your humor!! lol Often laughter is the best medicine!!

I'm like a pet that way.......priceless!!!!!
Old 04-11-2013, 11:34 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I recommend reconnecting with old friends. That's how I found my new man - in a divorced friend whom I have known since my early teens.

But most of all, I think it's sort of like when you're trying to remember the name of that guy in that movie, that the best thing to do is think of something else...

If I had been actively looking, I would have had a subconscious checklist and weirded myself out by letting my mind run ahead.

If I had looked for someone to date, this man would not have come to mind. What I did was just move on with my life, do things I enjoyed, and work on finding my footing and becoming the new me.

I'm an avid exerciser and outdoors person and unfortunately some of the biggest worker outers I know are also some of the biggest boozers. So like TG said, wherever you go, keep your wits with you so that you don't fall for another problem guy. I know I'm attracted to them like flies to you know what so I had to so something differently than before to get a different result - start with friendship instead of attraction.
Old 04-11-2013, 12:25 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I am available. And with dating me, I will let you lie, cheat and drink as much as your heart desires. But please be prepared for some empty threats. And the good part is, I will always be there for you, no matter how terrible you treat me! So are we going to a movie, or dinner? I'll pay.

That is hilarious......the sad thing about it is that you are describing me for the last five years of my life!!!!!!

I dont know if I should laugh or cry!!!!!!!
Old 04-11-2013, 12:29 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by stella27 View Post

Unconditional love.

This one describes me too. This one makes me cry though!!!!!
Old 04-11-2013, 03:10 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Engineer Things; LOVE People

Originally Posted by stella27 View Post

Unconditional love.
hmmm, pets . . .

I am thinking you should get a dog.

Men will crap on you. A dog will just crap in the lawn.

otherwise . . . maybe try highway rest stops or truck stops? Mostly truckers, which are mostly men. Favorable odds, and all.
Old 04-11-2013, 03:30 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Have you considered simply...

...getting out there and doing the things you love to do and meeting people that way?

C-
Old 04-11-2013, 07:32 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Zee

Is this a match then?
Im guessing I'm gonna have to buy a hat soon xxx
Old 04-11-2013, 07:42 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Would never work. We would be too nice to each other. Way too uncomfortable for me.

Old 04-11-2013, 07:49 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Cyranoak,

I have 3 children 11 and under and I enjoy reading and sleeping. Neither of which is conducive to meeting people. I have lived in a new town for about 6 months now, and I know a few people and enjoy them but need to broaden my circle.

I also work full-time. I love going to church, but it's a small one, and I need to find one a little larger for social reasons.

I think I am going to make sure we all spend more time outside than in - we will walk downtown in the evenings with the dog and just be friendly and approachable.