Crushed

Old 04-10-2013, 07:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Crushed

My husband is an alcoholic.. After both of us getting trashed and getting my car impounded and him a dui he is court ordered to take classes on addiction twice a week.. I truly thought he was doing good without drinking and being open with me until my 2 year old went to take a sip of his coffee and I had to snatch it away... The smell gagged me. I am currently pregnant and ever since that night I have hated the sight or smell of alcohol. The second I realized he had put whiskey in his drink i freaked out on the inside.. I waited for him to come inside and asked him calmly for the bottle.. I learned long time ago not to argue with a drunk.. its pointless and can become dangerous.. Anyway my point is how can I show him that this is affecting our growing family and if he can't find the power to want to be sober me and the kids are gone?.. I told him that the other day.. calm and not rude just a fact but I don't think he realizes I'm serious.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sadly, you can't show him. He is actively drinking, he's not going to see/hear it. You didn't Cause it, can't Cure it, and can't Control it. Taking the bottle, pouring out the liquor, etc has no effect except to make you spin. They are going to find alcohol if they want it.

The only thing you can do is take care of you. Go to AlAnon, read all you can about this disease, post here, read the sticky's at the top of the page. You can decide for yourself what is and is not acceptable in your life. You can learn to detach from his behaviors. Be careful about making threats you don't intend to follow through on. If you say you're leaving, be prepared to follow through. Or don't say it. The A quickly learns that we don't mean what we say, and can be manipulated. They will push any boundaries we set for ourselves.