HUGE Awakening in the Past Week (my story)

Old 04-08-2013, 08:30 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

It does get cold here, probably much like Wisconsin. But I've been sleeping in my idling car here through January and -35 degree nights. The night before last I turned my car off and was fine, but last night I woke up in my big blanket and had to turn it on.

I need that job already, to start feeling some progress

There are jobs here but keep in mind alcoholism here is very high. You're constantly surrounded by it
Old 04-08-2013, 08:51 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Hey Eric,
You need Sober Recovery. Glad you found us.

Did you read the stickies at the top of the forum?

Sorry you having been through all this chaos. That "visit" from your mom sounds excruciating.

Please keep reading and posting.

Peace,
Hanna
Old 04-08-2013, 08:57 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Also, are you just walking in to apply for the jobs? I've worked in an oil&gas office and we hired many people on the spot that way.
I'd go online, search and create a list of every company in your area, then start doing this.

It was tough for us to find reliable people that were no-nonsense, no drug issues, spoke fluent English and weren't asking for an advance. Anyone meeting this criteria got hired and advanced very quickly. Are things slow where you are right now?
Old 04-08-2013, 11:32 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

ive done that at a few places and stopped because it became discouraging hearing "thanks, we'll give you a call if interested"

I routinely call the companies i've applied for already- specifically the drilling rigs, because they give a list of qualified, experienced ppl to the site managers (toolpushers and drillers) regularly when they need a new floorhand

Every time i've been hired, it was a random call out of the blue by a company i'd applied with. i just went to job service office this morning and applied for a couple more jobs.

That job fair that happened the day after my mom arrived (when i found the booze and confronted her) sounded promising, because one lady with Key Energy Services asked me to return to talk to her when the fair died down a bit. Another lady with Nabors Drilling asked to take down my name/number after I told her that I did apply online and had experience.

Sometimes it does take a bit longer than a full week to hear back, especially if they're conducting background checks (which is possible i guess) before you're contacted by a recruiter.

Still waiting though. I've got $2k to hold me over
Old 04-08-2013, 12:32 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Do you have a place where you can shower so that you feel good? How do you keep yourself occupied?

Also, I'm with Hanna about walking in. Get past the front desk person especially, if you can. Ask to speak to the hiring manager.
Old 04-08-2013, 01:35 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

what company did you work for hanna?

cuz out here, there's rarely ever a hiring manager to talk to. either the front desk attendant won't let you or the people who actually hire you are at the company headquarters in some other part of the country (typically texas, oklahoma, wyoming or colorado)

i shower once every few days at an RV park here in williston called buffalo trails...i just drive ("sneak") in....and i cook my meals on my coleman propane burner outside a laundromat that i sleep at.

roughnecking is a lifestyle not a job
Old 04-08-2013, 01:39 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

i've only ever recieved call backs for drilling companies because drilling rigs are my only area of experience on my resume. i've worked for MANY drilling companies (bounced around a lot. I'd get hired making $100k+ a year and a week later go "**** this job, i'm sick of doing this and living way out here" but then i'd be stuck in my car doing nothing again for a while. huge mistake I'd make, and the next solid job i get I'll stick with it. I've read that this is common for ACoA's, not an excuse, but def gave me insight)

and every drilling company that hired me reviewed my application and called ME. trust me, going around in person here doesn't mean much
Old 04-08-2013, 06:42 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

i got offered a job tonight

call me crazy but i turned it down. on call 24/7 with no set schedule/days off?

uhh no thanks...i want a job, not a marriage
Old 04-08-2013, 11:16 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I work in the oil industry. Have you considered Texas or Pennsylvania?
Old 04-09-2013, 05:58 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I think I am going to call that crazy. Being on call and having cash flow until you find a better option or at least to save up a bit more cash seems like a good plan. But I don't know the industry. I hope something else comes along soon for you.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:06 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I think I am going to call that crazy. Being on call and having cash flow until you find a better option or at least to save up a bit more cash seems like a good plan. But I don't know the industry. I hope something else comes along soon for you.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:07 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

So sorry- that was an accidental double.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:45 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I don't mean to speak for Scapegoat but I'm thinking he doesn't want to just take another job and quit again. I think he mentioned he"a done a lot of job hopping and breaking the cycle many ACoAs get into. I grew up with a manic depressive father which is very similar to an alcoholic parent and I do see the pattern of starting and stopping in my life. I guess I never felt like I had a support system or fan club. Not making excuses, it's still up to me how my life plays out, but knowing others have to see this as a pattern in their lives gives me some comfort that I'm not alone.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:11 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I see the pov, ThinkZen. I also think people on here are thinking like me right now...we were worried about scapegoat making it, finding a job, concerned for his welfare.
Now though, I'm thinking self-sabotage. I understand wanting the RIGHT JOB.
But, when someone turns down a job, there's another guy on the other side of town sleeping in his car that is so glad to have received that phone call right after scapegoat turned it down.
We all want to hear that scapegoat lands a great job, gets a nice warm bed, an apartment, finds peace with the way his family is, and goes on to live a successful happy life.
But none of us get a job solely on our own terms. There's a pattern there...with having said that he walked away from a 100k job before.
Scapegoat...what's best for you? Your own terms, or security, income, a place to live?
Old 04-09-2013, 07:18 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

BlueSkies just did a lot better of a job than I did asking the right questions. I feel so badly for you in your car and without a sense of what is coming next. I can understand how much taking the wrong job might be deflating, but I wonder if just some people contact might be good. And, perhaps a source of information that helps you move to a better job.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:14 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

there was no company housing with this job. And it's the schedule I wasn't fond of- no days off, just on call? i could get back from a 12-hour shift, shower at an RV park and sleep 3 hours and be woken up by a phone call saying "let's go"

I like a schedule. On the drillings rigs it's 2 weeks on/2 weeks off or 2 weeks on/1 week off.

I've thought about the PA/VA or TX area, but the pay down there is significantly less (like a grand a week)