SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Alcoholics (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/)
-   -   Backlash from drinking buddies - who are also customers (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/289321-backlash-drinking-buddies-who-also-customers.html)

Julius 03-29-2013 10:05 AM

Backlash from drinking buddies - who are also customers

Close friend, who is alcoholic and current boss went to rehab 6 weeks ago and is now trying to maintain sobriety. Prior to trip to rehab, one of his children and I discussed the influence his then "friends" had on his drinking. The child ended up calling one of the "friends" and shared her concerns. The "friend" is also a customer of ours. Since that call occurred, this customer has been trying to undermine me - accusing me of incompetence in my job, trying to make my job miserable. She has emailed terrible reviews of my performance to boss/friend. She says it is all about my job performance, but I am pretty sure she is angry that I told the alcoholic friend's child about their "cocktail parties."

Any tiny glitch in the services that we provide to this "friend" results in an irate phone call to me where she reads me the "riot act" and then hangs up on me.

Not sure how to deal with this. Saying the serenity prayer a lot. Friend/boss says he will talk to her - I have asked him to tell her not to contact me anymore with any issues she has - and that she should contact him instead. He has agreed to this and plans to talk to her.

Kind of shaking my confidence and esteem a bit. I know I am doing a fine job with my work, but she and one other "friend" of his seem to have it out for me - for taking their drinking buddy away and also associating them with it. I know I am not the one who took the drinking buddy away - he did that of his own accord. But I am seen as the "bad guy." Up until he went to rehab, and even now, these drinking buddies thought my and the alcoholic's family were wrong to be concerned about his drinking. They did not think he had a drinking problem and told us as much. It's confusing and hard because they are customers and also try to pose as "friends" of his. But they make no bones now in their disdain for me.

Any input is welcome. Thinking about just quitting the job. Not worth sacrificing my own journey of recovery as a codependent.

Hanna 03-29-2013 10:27 AM

Major customer? Corporate client or just individual?
How important is their business to your company?

My response totally depends on this.

Julius 03-29-2013 04:40 PM

Not a major client. Individuals. High standing in the community (wealthy community).

Hanna 03-31-2013 11:55 AM

Don't quit! Just let your boss handle it. It comes with the territory for boss. Leaving would put a burden on the business, not help.

It helps me to listen to criticism and think about it objectively. If they are correct about anything, I make changes. If they are wrong I let it go and move on.

Your boss is the person that you have to please, besides yourself. Not these clowns.

Julius 04-01-2013 03:45 PM

Thank you Hannah! I will let him handle and keep my chin up. :thanks