please help

Old 03-29-2013, 06:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Exclamation please help

My family member drinks 4 or 5 times in a week everyday at night almost does this make her an alcoholic she says it doesnt cause she only drinks at night not all day how doi make her see that she needs help???
Old 03-29-2013, 07:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Read this forum and learn. You cannot make someone realise till they find this is a problem themselves. 3c's you didn't cause it you can't control it you can't cure it. Welcome to SR and keeping reading and get support
Old 03-29-2013, 07:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

Alli,

I'm sorry but we don't have the power to change another person. Step one of the Anon programs teaches us: We were powerless over ________ and our lives had become unmanageable.

I learned here about the 3 C's of my loved ones addiction:

I did not Cause it
I can not Control it
I will not Cure it

In my experience, the best way to handle a family member's drinking is to detach and to physically remove myself from the active drinking periods.

Alanon can help you learn tools to deal with life with a loved ones alcoholism.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Alli,

When I was introduced to alcoholism began understanding it, attending al-anon meetings I was hypervigilant to everyone around me and their drinking. I assumed everyone was an alcoholic because of how this disease affected my life. I made assumptions all the time until I learned more.

If she is or isn’t as dessy said there is really nothing you can do to help her except share your own concerns then leave it at that.
Old 03-29-2013, 08:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I understand what u guys r saying but because I use to do drugs but I also stop drinking being around that doesnt help me plus she always wants me to drink with her whenever I try to explain yi cant she calls me names she thinks its a joke but to me its not
Old 03-29-2013, 08:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Alli19, you are in control of your own destiny. The only thing you have power over is yourself. What kind of person do you want to be?

If you want to be a clean and sober, emotionally stable person, then I recommend that you attend Al-Anon meetings.
Old 03-29-2013, 08:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You may not understand this but she is not your friend right now not if she is calling you names because of healthy choices you have made for yourself. A real friend would support your decision and encourage you. Just because she is family doesn’t mean you are obligated to have to be her friend right now. That doesn’t mean you don’t care or love her it just means at this very moment in time you love yourself more and your well being needs to come first.

Kind of like when you are in an airplane and they go over the emergency procedures, you need to put your oxygen mask on first before you can help anyone else.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:31 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by alli19 View Post
My family member drinks 4 or 5 times in a week everyday at night almost does this make her an alcoholic she says it doesnt cause she only drinks at night not all day how doi make her see that she needs help???
If she is berating you for not drinking she definitely has some kind of problem.

Does her drinking cause other issues, personality changes?

It's obviously causing you discomfort.
Old 04-01-2013, 03:21 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thx and no she say stuff even b4 she drinks so yeah cant just blame the alcohol
Old 04-01-2013, 03:48 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You could try inviting your friend to join you in some activity that does not include drinking, for example going to the cinema or the gym or swimming. See how she responds
Old 04-01-2013, 06:22 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
CXR

Originally Posted by alli19 View Post
You don't...you don't and can't make her see that she needs help. You cannot control or change the other person, her thinking, behavior or anything for that matter. She will not get help because you want it -- and you cannot "want her to get help" more than she does! She has to want it more than you. She has to say and face she has a problem...and wants to get help!

Hang in there.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:32 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Alli - your focus should be on yourself and your own sobriety rather than on hers. As the other posters have stated you can't do anything about her. You can do for yourself however, perhaps its time to look for other living arrangements.

Changing people places and things is imperative usually to successful long term sobriety.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:05 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
CXR

Originally Posted by atalose View Post
Alli,

When I was introduced to alcoholism began understanding it, attending al-anon meetings I was hypervigilant to everyone around me and their drinking. I assumed everyone was an alcoholic because of how this disease affected my life. I made assumptions all the time until I learned more.

If she is or isn’t as dessy said there is really nothing you can do to help her except share your own concerns then leave it at that.
I didn't assume everyone was an alcoholic, but I was certainly hyper-sensitive to other's drinking. I didn't say or do anything about it, but I was aware of it. I've been going to meetings a long time, and I don't have a problem having a drink or two, nor do I have a problem with friend's who do. But a friend with a problem, I am sensitive to that.

That said, to the original poster...you can't control the other person. You can only control your actions, reactions, behavior, and what you do.

Little by slowly, you will make progress. Time takes time...so give the time the time it needs. Focus on you...