what do you do when you feel lonely?

Old 03-28-2013, 01:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

what do you do when you feel lonely?

Just looking for some practical strategies. I asked my ah to leave a year ago when he relapsed. For much of that time we were in regularly phone contact and we saw him often. More recently his drinking ( and crazy antics) have become worse so my kids and I are not in contact with him. I know that n/c is for the best but I'm home with 2 small girls every evening and I don't live near my family. We'd been together for 20 years.
How do you fill the gap ?
Old 03-28-2013, 01:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Maybe take them to the park where they along with yourself can meet new friends. If they are in school perhaps get involved in school activities and that can provide another opportunity to meet some good people as well.
Old 03-28-2013, 02:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

thanks SHH :-) I do this and have some lovely friends and I also work almost full time. Its more the sort of loneliness that you get even when you're in a crowd that bothers me IYKWIM?
Old 03-28-2013, 03:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes I know that feeling. Church is a great place for me to not feel that way - a literal sanctuary. Are you religious?

I have found that the more time goes by, the less I feel that kind of lonely and isolated. I hope that will be the case for you.
Old 03-28-2013, 06:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MsJojo View Post
thanks SHH :-) I do this and have some lovely friends and I also work almost full time. Its more the sort of loneliness that you get even when you're in a crowd that bothers me IYKWIM?
Here's my take on this: Own the feeling. Accept it being ok to feel like this right now. Know this too shall pass. Recognize you would rather be alone than wish you were. And let it pass. It's just an emotion after all. Reality is you have a full life as a working Mom with limited free time. You probably don't get much time to just be alone!
Old 03-29-2013, 01:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You're right Tuffgirl, I get very little time alone. I try my hardest to turn this into positive "me-time" but I get waves of loneliness ( or maybe grief?) . Embracing the feeling is probably the best plan.

Stella, I so wish I was religious. I have an open mind and tried the village church but it wasn't the right church for me.
Old 03-29-2013, 01:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Engineer Things; LOVE People

Do you have some local Al-Anon?

Asking because we (ok, I) have been "pushing" some of my local group(s) to work out some sort of Mom's (or Dad's) night out Al-Anon. Work out some sort of group child play/care time as part of the meeting, etc.
Old 03-29-2013, 01:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hammer, I've never been to Al-anon because I can't afford the childcare hours
Your idea sounds fabulous!