Thanks for "listening"

Old 03-26-2013, 07:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thanks for "listening"

I am new to this site and have read many of your posts. I, too, live alone with my 29 yr old AS. Is disturbing to me reading my own words, realizing he has been drinking since his early teens, went to college, graduated, has lived me me since, unable to keep a job. The years can go by. Yes, have kicked him out many times but he never leaves. I, like many others, do not share much with family and friends. The rare times that I have, I felt even more alone so I am trying this out. I have been to a few alanon meetings but maybe haven't found the right one. Please keep sharing, it is helpful. Knowing the pain we feel, I have much respect and compassion for you all.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm glad you decided to post Schnook. My AB still lives with my parents (he is 49) so I have witnessed your situation first hand.

It took me 3 different groups to find an AlAnon meeting I felt was a good "fit" for me. I love my meetings now. It's advised that you attend at least 6 meetings before you decide that it's not for you. I go to 2 different meetings each week, they have different formats and I like them both. So it may take a little time, or a different group. But you will find it is the one place that you can listen or share without judgement. All our stories have a different spin, yet all our stories are the same. You are always among friends at AlAnon, just as you are among friends here on SR.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

Welcome to the SR family!

Pull out your keyboard and make yourself at home. We are open 24/7 and have members from around the globe.

At the top of this main page is a list of 14 different posts. Those are referred to as the Sticky posts and they are marked with a little padlock symbol in the left column. Some of our stories are in those sticky posts, and lots of shared wisdom.

Glad you are here, but sorry for the reason that got you here. Keep reaching out for support for yourself. You are worth the effort!
Old 03-26-2013, 07:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Ah,yes, I have a 46 yr old AB in my parents basement, too. My heart breaks for them, having to live this way in their 70's, but they are very good at saving my brother from his bad choices. Thanks for your reply.