Binge Drinker?

Old 05-04-2004, 09:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Binge Drinker?

Hello all.

I'm very new to the forum and have yet to attend an Al-Anon meeting. I believe my husband is a binge drinker. He may not drink for many months at a time (as much as a year and a half) and then go out and become totally drunk, He then drives. I'm terrified he is going to kill someone. It also comes so out of the blue...after I have regained trust and confidence..then wham. I understand that I cannot control this and I am not responsible for his behavior..but..the loss of him, or the loss of another person not to mention the loss of everything we have built up scares me to death. I am going to attend my first Al-anon meeting tomorrow....I am trying to decide if I can live with the ride. thanks for listening
Old 05-04-2004, 10:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Re: Binge Drinker?

Welcome!
It's not easy to be at a point where the behavior of the A is causing you to fear for his safety and those he may injure. As you read through the posts you'll find you are not alone and that people here are very supportive.
Old 05-04-2004, 11:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey earthmover,
Welcome, glad you joined us.
Pull up a chair and get comfortable. There are a lot of people here who understand what you're going through.
Peace,
Gabe
Old 05-04-2004, 11:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Re: Binge Drinker?

Welcome, earthmover! We are all here for you. I know personally what you're talking about- my spouse is a binge drinker, as was one of my grandfathers and my father in law is also a binge drinker. My spouse usually goes about 3 months now in between his binges, but when he does drink, he is so unpredictible and is capable of being a complete jerk. What I've learned is that it isn't so much how MUCH they drink, but how it affects my life. That is what Alanon and this place has helped me to deal with. Please feel free to share whatever you feel comfotable with.
-SFG29