My boyfriend is an alcoholic.

Old 03-16-2013, 05:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My boyfriend is an alcoholic.

we have a 5 month old together and live separate. He admits he needs help, I give him his space. But I take care of our son by myself, which I can handle. I just don't understand why he is so self absorbed, is this an affect alcohol has on him? Or is it who he is. He just bought a 300 dollar tv, when he knows our son needs a new car seat. He only ever wants to talk about himself, he never cares about what I want to do or what I think, of anything. I don't expect him to change, I just don't understand why he's like this..

Old 03-16-2013, 05:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

HI ROMPaige

I moved your thread here - I know you'll find a lot of support and experience here.
I dunno - I think a lot of alcoholics can be self absorbed and immature - I know I was...whether the immaturity came first or the drink, I'm not sure, but I know I grew up a lot when I got sober.

I hope sobriety is in your bf's future too.

D
Old 03-16-2013, 06:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome, ROMPaige. And thanks Dee for moving the thread. Paige, you'll find lots of support here.

It's an interesting dichotomy: alcoholism and immaturity/self-centeredness. And like Dee says, its hard to know for certain which comes first. What I do know from all my reading is that an alcoholic stops growing emotionally at a certain point. They don't learn the life lessons and coping skills that we "normies" do because they aren't experiencing life like we are.

Either way, it sounds as if you are being put in a position of going without. How can you take steps to fix that? And of course, do consider Al-Anon. I know its hard with a kiddo around, but many meetings do have child care available or kids are in the room. I imagine you really could use some support in real life.

Keep reading, keep posting, and keep coming back!
Old 03-16-2013, 06:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Hi, and welcome!

Alcoholics in general are EXTREMELY self-absorbed. If he ever gets sober, he might change in that respect, or he might not. It depends on how hard he is willing to work on his own recovery.

Does he make regular child-support payments? If not, why not?