Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Alcoholics
Reload this Page >

This May Sound Strange But Has Anyone Ever Actually Recovered from Crack Use?

Old 03-15-2013, 10:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I am sure while reading this, you guys will say "did she seriously just say that"? Well the only reason I am asking is because I am new to this recovery site. It appears that not only are recovering individuals on here but families as well. I am old school and so far, I have not witnessed a successful recovery by an addict on crack and wondered if there are new treatments and programs for this long standing issue that appears to be so addictive?
Old 03-15-2013, 10:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My main drug of choice was crack In fact that was my only drug of choice.

I've been clean since November 11th, 2010. There are people I know who have been clean for decades off crack cocaine. my sponsor one of them.

It's possible but it's very very addictive. You just got to want it.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

@ Trappshot-Crack Cocaine

Thank you for your information. I always knew that there had to be someone out there that had actually recovered from crack cocaine, however I had never met any and most of the people I knew who got hooked, believe it or not they are still hooked on that stuff and have been for many years. I was beginning to think there was no hope, but just that quick, you changed that.

If I may ask....how did your family handle your addiction brothers...sisters...mom...dad?
Old 03-15-2013, 10:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

7 plus years clean here. ditto for my husband.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:07 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Occasional poor taste poster

This year will be 30 for me. Back then we called it freebasing. I'm getting old.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:11 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

@Jazzman-Old School OMG

Hello there and thanks. That makes me feel even better because I am old school and I remember back in the 70's freebasing was one thing, but we were dealing with heroin addicts and methadone clinics and freebasing was relatively new on the scene, but congrats....well done.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:44 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Go to a Narcotics Anonymous meeting. There are tons. I will say I've never seen anyone who got off crack on their own. Ever. People need a program that offers them support and holds their hand while teaching them a new way to live. Just love and support in and of itself does not work.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:55 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

Originally Posted by cerene View Post
Go to a Narcotics Anonymous meeting. There are tons. I will say I've never seen anyone who got off crack on their own. Ever. People need a program that offers them support and holds their hand while teaching them a new way to live. Just love and support in and of itself does not work.
Tons??

I am told that in my area, many crack addicts in NA often struggle a lot. Two very nice RAs (crack) that I got to know just went back out a couple of weeks ago. Sadly, they have not come back yet and are not returning anyones calls.

In addition, I know a recovering crack addict that never stepped foot in a program. He is currently 15 yrs clean and has turned his life completely around. I also know another crack addict that has been to many programs, including NA and he can not stay clean. I dont this there are any absolutes when it comes to addiction.
Old 03-15-2013, 12:02 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

6 years and counting Though I do use what I learned in AA meetings, years ago, I have my own "program" and SR is a huge part of it.

I think when we want recovery bad enough, we find a way.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 03-15-2013, 02:23 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Not sure what you're trying to say or get at, but yes, tons. Meaning 100s of addicts off crack and other drugs.

Many crack addicts in NA do struggle a lot. Addicts, as a group, struggle a lot. I'm not sure what that has to do with tons of addicts being clean off drugs though. In comparison, there are lots of students that struggle a lot. Many fail and many never quite make it. That doesn't stop the ones who succeed from going to college. The ones that struggle in college don't stop the ones that succeed from graduating. Is the fact that addicts struggle suppose to mean I don't know tons? I don't get it.

For the ones that are off crack, even if they have 20 years clean, I won't be able to say they're fully recovered until they actually die clean. But, assuming people with at least 5 of more years off crack are what the OP was referring to, I know a lot. In any meeting I go too, 30% to 60% of the people there have over 5 years clean and sober. Some have a higher percentage. I haven't seen any with a lower percentage.

As for your friend who's off crack, I'm happy to hear it. He either has a program or he's switched addictions. Maybe you don't know what that program is or you don't know what the new addiction is, but it's either one or the other. Being an addict is not like a cold. You don't wake up one day and it's gone. If you're an actual addict, the best you can do is transfer the behaviors to something else. This is based on my training and actual experience (not word of mouth) of over 7 years in the rooms of NA/AA and knowing 100s upon 100s of addicts.

Seriously, what was your point? It feels like you're challenging my experience but I don't see why you would. Anyone can walk in the rooms of NA/AA and see what I'm saying. Was your loved one not able to grasp the program? Is that why you discount or minimize the recovery of others? Seriously, what's hurting you?

Originally Posted by LoveMeNow View Post
Tons??

I am told that in my area, many crack addicts in NA often struggle a lot. Two very nice RAs (crack) that I got to know just went back out a couple of weeks ago. Sadly, they have not come back yet and are not returning anyones calls.

In addition, I know a recovering crack addict that never stepped foot in a program. He is currently 15 yrs clean and has turned his life completely around. I also know another crack addict that has been to many programs, including NA and he can not stay clean. I dont this there are any absolutes when it comes to addiction.
Old 03-15-2013, 02:29 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

There is a separate forum on here for Friends and Families of Substance Abusers. You may get more feedback there.
Old 03-15-2013, 02:31 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

As for your friend who's off crack, I'm happy to hear it. He either has a program or he's switched addictions. Maybe you don't know what that program is or you don't know what the new addiction is, but it's either one or the other. Being an addict is not like a cold. If you're an actual addict, the best you can do is transfer the behaviors to something less destructive. This is based on my training and actual experience (not word of mouth) of over 7 years in the rooms of NA/AA and knowing 1000s upon 1000s of addicts.

i'm sorry but from MY experience that is a load of crap. crack is no different than any other drug as far as the ability to get clean and stay clean. not simply transfer addictions.

your math doesn't work. if you've seen people with 5 or more years clean, there has to be those with 0-5. i am personally offended by your post...i am a former crack addict, i quit crack without the aid of any specific program, altho i had years of prior experience with AA/NA and i did reach out to another recovery forum. my husband, after a 20 year run also quit...on his own, when he was ready.

please remember you don't speak for EVERY addict...you speak for one, yourself. you aren't the resident EXPERT on addiction, merely another one of us whose life has been affected by addiction.
Old 03-15-2013, 02:45 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I know zero about crack addiction, so maybe I don't know WTF I'm talking about when it comes to that, but I believe with alcoholics, some people can quit without a formal program. I do think that most people who recover to live HAPPILY sober (again, crack addiction may be different) go through some personal internal growth process similar to what the Steps accomplish, although not doing it in the same structured way.

I also IMAGINE (please, one of you recovered addicts correct me if I'm off base here) that because crack is so immediately physically addicting, it doesn't necessarily develop slowly over time as a coping mechanism, the way alcohol addiction typically develops. You can be an alcoholic without having a physical dependency. So, depending on why/how someone uses the drug could determine whether just getting off of it and avoiding being around it might be enough to make a full recovery.

LOL, this is why AA is separate from NA--I just can't relate entirely, even though there are lots of similarities. I'm grateful for everyone who gets sober or clean and doesn't have to be enslaved by a substance.
Old 03-15-2013, 03:09 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Maybe I'm posting wrong. I NEVER SAID crack was different than any other drug.

My math is fine. There are lots of people with 0-5 years clean. I was specifically looking at those with more than 5 years. Where did I say there was no one with 0-5 years clean?

i quit crack without the aid of any specific program, altho i had years of prior experience with AA/NA and i did reach out to another recovery forum.

Then you had a program. You set up something in your life to get off drugs and you had experience on changing your behavior. A program. Any program. Just a program.

I don't have to be a resident expert to understand addiction. Anyone that can read a book can understand addiction. Maybe you misread what I said or maybe I said it wrong cause I don't see how anything I said contradicts what you wrote.

Regardless, I'm over this. Since I haven't done anything to disrespect what anyone else has said, your issue can't be with me. It has to be with whatever is going on in your life right now and you're taking it out on me. Therefore, I'm going to let you deal with it. I'm not coming back to this post.

Originally Posted by AnvilheadII View Post
As for your friend who's off crack, I'm happy to hear it. He either has a program or he's switched addictions. Maybe you don't know what that program is or you don't know what the new addiction is, but it's either one or the other. Being an addict is not like a cold. If you're an actual addict, the best you can do is transfer the behaviors to something less destructive. This is based on my training and actual experience (not word of mouth) of over 7 years in the rooms of NA/AA and knowing 1000s upon 1000s of addicts.

i'm sorry but from MY experience that is a load of crap. crack is no different than any other drug as far as the ability to get clean and stay clean. not simply transfer addictions.

your math doesn't work. if you've seen people with 5 or more years clean, there has to be those with 0-5. i am personally offended by your post...i am a former crack addict, i quit crack without the aid of any specific program, altho i had years of prior experience with AA/NA and i did reach out to another recovery forum. my husband, after a 20 year run also quit...on his own, when he was ready.

please remember you don't speak for EVERY addict...you speak for one, yourself. you aren't the resident EXPERT on addiction, merely another one of us whose life has been affected by addiction.
Old 03-15-2013, 07:35 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LexieCat View Post
I also IMAGINE (please, one of you recovered addicts correct me if I'm off base here) that because crack is so immediately physically addicting, it doesn't necessarily develop slowly over time as a coping mechanism, the way alcohol addiction typically develops.
I can say from my experience you are absolutely correct. Unbelievably addicting. No genetic predisposition required. I went cold turkey with no program, not sure if NA was even around 30 years ago?. I white knuckled it for a couple years until my brain chemistry returned to normal. Yes it takes two years. Coke is a wicked drug. I didn't have to learn to live an cope again, I just had to get coke out of my head. Hardest thing I've ever done. Made quitting nicotine look like a walk in the park.

One of the biggest reasons I had so much empathy for Mel and her struggle. If I could drive by four 7-elevens on my way home from work every day and pick up a six pack of coke for 4 bucks I most likely not be alive today.

But that was a life time ago. What I learned was humility and empathy. Let he who cast the first kettle call the pot black.
Old 03-15-2013, 07:52 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

As for your friend who's off crack, I'm happy to hear it. He either has a program or he's switched addictions. Maybe you don't know what that program is or you don't know what the new addiction is, but it's either one or the other.

Seriously, what was your point? It feels like you're challenging my experience but I don't see why you would. Anyone can walk in the rooms of NA/AA and see what I'm saying. Was your loved one not able to grasp the program? Is that why you discount or minimize the recovery of others? Seriously, what's hurting you?
YOUR ESH is yours, please do not assume you know it all, especially regarding a person, my friend, who is a self recovering crack addict. In fact, there are several "self covered" people on SR.

My point?? Your posts are highly offensive to me and apparently many others. Yet, you seem to have mastered the art of deflection.
Old 03-16-2013, 05:12 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I don't have to be a resident expert to understand addiction. Anyone that can read a book can understand addiction.
Well it's kinda like this, I could read every book on child birth but I would never truly understand it. I would never assume to know what a mother went through.
Old 03-16-2013, 05:12 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Hello redvelvetcake, and Welcome!

As you have read, there are many people who have successfully recovered from a crack cocaine addiction by a variety of methods whether it was self-recovery, addiction counseling, or a 12-step program like AA or NA. There are many success stories out there. I hope that your loved one will be one of them!

HG
Old 03-16-2013, 06:22 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Redvelvetcake59 View Post
I am sure while reading this, you guys will say "did she seriously just say that"? Well the only reason I am asking is because I am new to this recovery site. It appears that not only are recovering individuals on here but families as well. I am old school and so far, I have not witnessed a successful recovery by an addict on crack and wondered if there are new treatments and programs for this long standing issue that appears to be so addictive?
crack was one of many drugs i became addicted to. it was the one that removed every other thought in my head except,"i want more." yup, the addiction to it happened very fast and it was very devastating.
clean and sober today 7+ years, but i dont think i could have done it on my own.
Old 03-16-2013, 06:25 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

From my understanding, cocaine/crack are more psychologically addicting then physically, with the psychological addiction being extremely powerful.