My boyfriend is an alcoholic

Old 04-03-2013, 12:44 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

More is going to be revealed to you.

The disappearing act often goes hand in hand with other issues. My gut say drugs or women, and that is my own personal experience.

Nine credits away from your Master's degree. Good for you. A very promising future awaits. Don't miss it.

There truly is nothing you can do for him, and he truly has nothing to currently offer. I know it sounds so simple and uncomplicated.

I would take a step back and work on myself. I would try to figure out why I keep choosing the same type of guy. I would try to add value to my life, and acknowledge my own self worth. I would raise the bar. I would surround myself with people filled with integrity, honesty, those who are kind, loving and caring. You really matter, make it count.
Old 04-03-2013, 02:38 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I still have a lot of the emails I sent to my ex (before he was my ex) AH the morning after, detailing what he did, how he emotionally abused our kids, and me. Some of them got a response, some didn't, none of them made one iota of difference. Save your texting fingers, it's useless.
Old 04-03-2013, 03:19 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by marie1960 View Post
More is going to be revealed to you.

The disappearing act often goes hand in hand with other issues. My gut say drugs or women, and that is my own personal experience.
Actually it's gambling, but good guesses. Another winning habit though!

Thanks for all the feedback.

I know I need to step away. It is hard... He is not a monster, just a man who needs help BUT he has never acknowledged or recognized that he is powerless over it. He knows it's a problem but can't get out of the cycle and I am smart enough to know I can't do it for him.

So grateful for this place.
Old 01-20-2019, 11:51 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Life is good

My issue is with me. WHY do I accept this?

Originally Posted by mihgab View Post
There is nothing wrong with you.When you start saying there is something wrong with you, your inner balance shifts.You know who you are. Don`t let anyone take that from you.
Peace
Thank you, mihgab.

Here's a thread that really speaks to my recovery today!!

Life changes.

Al-anon family groups is for families and friends of alcoholics. I went to a meeting today. I'm glad I was there. Somehow I found an old thread here at SR that I needed today, too. I like how this works. All things connected.
Old 01-20-2019, 12:40 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DreamsofSerenity View Post
SR who recently said "You accept the love you think you deserve
Thank you for this. I'm going to ponder that today.
I wonder if writing down what AB is doing helps? The first time I did that, I thought "what on earth am I doing? This sounds ridiculous!" But it was a very good exercise.
Old 01-21-2019, 06:12 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I've been asking myself this very same question. and my answer is because we take what we can get and not what we want. It's easier that way. But really it's harder in the long run when we are so invested in someone who is only invested in having a drunk good time. We know their good qualities and try anything to make ourselves believe those outweigh their bad qualities. Before you know it years have gone by and you have used up all your mental and physical energy on them. While they have disregarded you and disrespected you over and over. I'm in the same boat and trying so hard to save myself from the mental twister that I'm in so deep right now. You are not alone and you deserve better. As do I. Xo